Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $5.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Budget: $40,000 per sculpture
Summary - On behalf of the Manitou Springs Urban Renewal Authority, Creative Alliance Manitou Springs (CRANE) is seeking proposals from artists or art teams to create permanent sculpture installations at the El Colorado Lodge (23 Manitou Avenue, 80829) and at Lulu’s Downstairs (107 Manitou Avenue, 80829) (See pictures below). Proposals for the Lulu’s Downstairs location must fit on the 6' pedestal already present on the site. A pedestal or appropriate support will be built at El Colorado Lodge based upon the needs of the artwork chosen. Our goal is to engage residents and visitors with exceptional artwork that activates the streetscape and encourages exploration. Chosen art will exemplify the “Spirit of Manitou” — preference will be given to art pieces that reference Manitou Springs’ history, natural environment, and character.
Selection Panel - Review of proposals will be completed by a panel of community stakeholders and professional artists assembled by CRANE. This panel will assist CRANE in selecting an artist or art team to complete the project.
Selection Process and Schedule - CRANE will appoint an expert panel of community stakeholders and professionals to evaluate proposals and recommend 4 finalists who will present to the panel and the broader community. The panel and the community (via a public poll) will provide the CRANE Public Art Committee with their recommendation for a winner. The CRANE Public Art Committee will choose the final winner based on feedback.
Applications are due on April 22.
The expert panel will meet to review the submissions and identify the most qualified candidates based on the selection criteria listed below.
Finalists will be paid a stipend of $500 for their work. The expert panel will submit their recommendation along with community feedback to CRANE, which will select the winning submission based on the recommendations.
The winning artists or art teams will provide CRANE with a timeline for fabrication and installation once the project has been approved. Installation must be completed no later than September 30, 2022.
Project Budget - The funds available for the project are $40,000, which must encompass design, fabrication, materials, engineering review, shipping, contract labor, installation, insurance, travel expenses necessary to complete the project, final documentation, and incidental expenses. There will be no funds available to support project overruns, and the artist is responsible for delivering the proposed artwork within the budget and should build the budget accordingly.
Media Style/Size/Location - The media and style of the artwork are open to the artist’s vision.
The artwork must be made of durable, permanent media that is safe for permanent installation and requires little maintenance.
The artwork must be site-specific and properly scaled to the location.
Artists are encouraged to create an interactive or dynamic experience through the artwork.
Proposal Requirements - All proposals must include the following materials:
- Artist Resume - not to exceed two pages. Art teams must submit a resume for each member.
- Images of prior work (up to 3) that demonstrate Artist’s technique and ability to create site-specific work.
- Letter of Interest (not to exceed two pages) describing artist’s interest in and suitableness for the proposed project. Letter should include the proposed process and timeline, reasoning behind design choices, and experience relating to the project.
- Sketches and description of proposed sculpture in a .jpg, .pdf, or .png file format, no more than 3 images.
References - Please submit three current references to email@example.com, including phone and email contact information.
Selection Criteria - The selection of finalists will be based on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit, originality, and creativity as evidenced by prior and proposed artwork.
- Professional experience delivering projects of similar scale, scope and budget.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake the design, creation, and installation of the artwork within the timeline.
- Artwork that requires little or no maintenance.
- Artistic style that is complementary to community and stakeholder values.
- Appropriateness of materials, style, scale and concepts in relation to the site and to the City of Manitou Springs.
- Proposed budget appropriate to scope of the project.