Days remaining to deadline: 11
Entry Fee (Made in VA application Fee): $35.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 5
Audio | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 5
Event Dates: 10/8/22 - 2/5/23
Made in VA: 2022
The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) continues its celebration of regional artists through our annual juried exhibition, Made in VA. MOCA finds its roots in a concerned and connected artist community. We remain committed to keep close ties with the talented artists who live close to our doors.
Last year, New Waves became Made in VA. The exhibition reasserted our commitment to Virginia artists. We invite the talented contemporary artists found in the Commonwealth to continue this momentum. MOCA wants to provide artists opportunities and share their voice, their vision with our visitors.
Made in VA will be on view October 8, 2022 – February 5, 2023
Best in Show: $2,000
Second Place: $1,500
Third Place: $1000
Honorable Mentions: $750 (2 awarded)
Director’s Choice: $1000
People’s Choice: $750
Each artist will have the opportunity to participate in a digital-group studio visit with a blue-chip artist selected by Virginia MOCA.
All prize winners will have individual digital-studio visits with one of the museum’s curators.
Juror: Bana Kattan is the Pamela Alper Associate Curator at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA). Her current curatorial work includes an atrium project with artist Orkideh Torabi and a co-organised mid-career retrospective with artist Bani Abidi. Kattan was the MCA’s Barjeel Global Fellow and organised Can You Hear Me Now and co-organised the MCA's presentation of Mika Rottenberg: Easy Pieces. Prior to her time at the MCA, she was the curator at the New York University Abu Dhabi Art Gallery where she curated numerous exhibitions such as Permanent Temporariness: Sandi Hilal and Alessandro Petti (2018); But We Cannot See Them: Tracing a UAE Art Community, 1988–2008 (2017); and Invisible Threads: Technology and its Discontents (2016). She received her MA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (2011) and is a recipient of the Getty-CAA International Program Grants (2015).
Submissions Open: May 23, 2022
Entry Deadline: July 12, 2022
Acceptance Notification: August 12, 2022
Artwork Delivery: August 29 – September 8, 2022
Exhibition Opening: October 7, 2021
Eligible Artwork: All artistic mediums made between the years of 2019-2022 are accepted for review. Art exhibited in previous New Waves/Made in VA exhibitions is not eligible for review.
- 2-D work must be ready for installation including hanging devices on the artwork. Each work will not exceed 84 inches in any dimension, including frame and must not exceed 75 lbs. in weight. (Please note: Sawtooth hangers are unsafe for installation and cannot be used.)
- 3-D work will be no larger than 84 inches including base and must not exceed 75lbs.
- Installations: MOCA will accept previously created installations. Images of installations can be submitted to callforentry.org. Submissions should be flexible to fit any location within the gallery. (Outdoor installations cannot be accepted.)
- Video and sound works can be submitted. There is a limit of 3 video/sound entries per application. Artists should list details of installation and presentation preferences in the comments section of the application.
- Artists are responsible for delivery and/or shipment to and from MOCA. Accepted artworks may be hand-delivered or shipped by the artist. All artworks must be packed properly for return shipping. Pre-paid return and/or pick-up is the responsibility of the artist. Return prepaid shipping label from UPS or FedEx should be enclosed.
All artists currently living in Virginia