Days remaining to deadline: 3
Entry Fee (Non-Members Rate - Fresh Ideas 2022): $75.00
Entry Fee ( Members rate - Fresh Ideas 2022): $40.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
The Visual Art League (VAL) of Lewisville, Texas is pleased to announce a call for entries for Fresh Ideas 2022, a juried show to be held at the Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery in Lewisville, Texas July 16- August 13, 2022.
Fresh Ideas is VAL's annual premier juried art exhibition and sale, which is housed in the beautiful 2,400 sq. ft. Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery (see www.lewisvillegrand.com and visualartleague.org). It is open to all visual artists 18yrs and older who reside in Texas. The non-refundable entry fee, for a maximum of (3) pieces is:
- $75 for non members of VAL (which includes one year's membership to VAL).
- $40 for VAL members
- Artworks will be available for sale if the artist chooses. See Legal Agreement
Exhibition Dates: July 16, 2022 - August 13, 2022
Deadline to enter: June 28th 2022 11:59 pm (Central Daylight Time)
Artist Notification: July 2nd - 3rd
Hand deliver work to Lewisville Grand Theater: July 11th, 2022
*Lewisville Grand Theater Staff cannot accept shipped artworks!
Opening Reception: July 16th, 2022
Pick up artwork: August 15th, 2022
- 1st Place - $1,000 and a solo show in summer of the following year at the Lewsiville Grand Theater.
- 2nd Place - $500
- 3rd Place - $250
- Four Honorable Mentions @ $100 each
- People's Choice Award - $100
Accepted mediums: oil, watercolor, acrylics, pastel, mixed media, collage, altered books, assemblage, drawings, prints, photography (film, digital, altered processes, photographic montage), ceramics, glass, textiles, fiber, encaustic, and sculpture.
Juror: Teri Thoman
Bio and Qualifications:
As a printmaker, trained in the 1970's, Terri Thoman has witnessed the shifting landscape of technology in her field. The processes she chooses to employ includes relief, intaglio, and planography and are rooted deep in the history of printmaking. In her work you can see evidence of life, the direct mark of the tools made by hand.
Terri's work reflects the value she holds for the planet; her observations of atmosphere, earth, and water clearly express this passion. In the studio she strives for sustainability and the use of non-toxic materials. "In my daily routine of life, whether gardening or printmaking, I am responsible for creating my existence."
As an Artist and Educator through the decades, Terri has been involved in the community, sharing her knowledge and inspiring artists of all ages. Her artwork has been exhibited regionally, nationally and internationally through a four decade span.
In the 1980's while working as an assistant printer at Peregrine Press, she was a consultant for Booker T. Washington High School for Visual and Performing Arts. She was the founder of one of the largest resources for fine art paper and has worked with many non-profits such as Texas Art Educators Association, The Creative Arts Center of Dallas, Promise of Peace Community Garden, and a Dallas County Juvenile Facility, to create a curriculum allowing students of all ages to experience printmaking.
After a four year residency program in Italy at Scuola Internazionale di Grafica Venezia, Terri decided to open Paper Arts, a Dallas Artisan Fine Print Studio. She invites artists of all skill level to participate in the experience of Non-Toxic Printmaking. On any day you will find Terri in the studio, working and sharing her passion for the Print.
Important Information on Delivery of Accepted Artwork:
- A link for Sign-Up Genius will be sent to artists to schedule an intake time.
- Work accepted into the exhibition must be delivered to the Lewisville Grand Theater Main Art Gallery, 100 North Charles Street Lewisville, TX at your scheduled time.
- It is the responsibility of the artist to arrange for delivering their works themselves or by a representative of the artist.
- Any artwork not received at the Gallery by 5:00 pm on July 11th, will not be included in the show.
- Images of entries to be considered for the show must be submitted via CaFE. Images must meet the requirements of that site for size and type of file to be accepted online. Artists may submit up to (3) pieces for consideration.
- Include on your application: After the title of your work on your application, include the type of medium. Example: "Still Life - "Digital Photography" or "Still Life - Charcoal on Paper"
(Due to the wide range of mediums that are allowed, this information will help the Juror when viewing each of the online submitted images).
- Original 2D and 3D artwork must have been created in the last two years, an must not have been previously shown in any VAL exhibits. The gallery is owned by the City of Lewisville and is considered family-friendly, so no explicit nudity, confrontationally political, or disrespectful religious images allowed.
- Maximum size for hung artwork is : 60x60, including frame.
- 2D artworks intended to be hung on walls, must look professionally finished and be ready for secure installation.
- Framed pieces must be equipped with d-rings attached to the back and stretched with wire. SAWTOOTH HANGERS AND UNIFRAMES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE! Please tape wire ends to prevent injury to the hanging committee.
- Wires when stretched to hang the artwork, should not come closer than two inches from the top of the frame, to prevent the hanger from showing when the picture is hung.
- Plexiglas, or similar material, must be used in place of glass for any artwork larger than 16" x 20".
- Diptychs, triptychs, or other multiple piece works constitute one piece, and must be no wider than 60" when hung together.
- Pieces that are hung may not be over 50lbs in weight.
- Hanging canvas pieces should have clean, gallery-wrapped edges or be framed. Depth of canvas determines finish. 1.5in or greater depth - a clean finished edge (no staples), or gallery wrapped. Less than 1.5" in depth - frame required.
- 3D artwork must be able to securely sit on a pedestal with a 20" x 14" surface, or rest on the floor free standing, or safely hang using a wire.
- Any pieces - including sculpture - which are very heavy, the artist will be expected to assist with installation.
- Photography must be framed and matted or printed on gallery wrapped canvas. Photographs printed on metal or acrylic must be framed. Photography must meet the same standards as other 2D artworks.
- This is a juried show. The juror has the right to reject any submitted artwork during the jury process.
- VAL reserves the right to reject any accepted artwork if: it does not look professionally presented, framed pieces over 16" x 20" have glass, or it is not properly wired and ready for installation. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- ALL ACCEPTED WORKS MUST REMAIN ON EXHIBIT FOR THE DURATION OF THE FRESH IDEAS SHOW.
- It is required that artists who are accepted sit the Gallery for a half day during the exhibit. For artists living outside the immediate area, the Curator will coordinate with the artist for an acceptable substitution.