Days remaining to deadline: 5
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $40.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Photographic Essence theme: Art Works Downtown invites visual artists to submit black and white photography for exhibition. This exhibit intends to showcase photography solely using the black and white value scale to expose the essence of their subject, expression, and composition. Submissions will be considered according to various criteria including, but not limited to photographic skill, creative expression, poignant narrative, and unique composition. All forms of photography medium are welcome.
Juror: Scott Nichols, owner and director Scott Nichols Gallery, Sonoma; www.scottnicholsgallery.com
- June 30: Entries due via CallForEntry.org. Technically you have until 11:59 Mountain time (9:59pm Pacific time). We are not available for questions about applications on the due date, please plan ahead.
- July 8–9: Notification by email. Separate emails announce “invited” and “not invited” submissions.
- July 28–30, 1–8pm: deliver accepted entries, artist statement, and sign contract.
- August 5–September 17, 2022, Thursday–Saturday, 1–8pm: Exhibition dates. Gallery hours subject to change.
- August 12, 5–8pm: Opening reception and Art Walk, in-person
- September 9, 5–8pm: 2nd reception and Art Walk, in-person
- September 22–24, 1–8pm: Pick up unsold artwork
- San Francisco Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael, California). Refunds will not be given to those who apply but don’t qualify.
- Black and White photography only.
- Open to all photography media. Photographs must be framed and/or ready to install.
- Open to most subject matter and abstraction: images of explicit sexual content or graphic violence will not be considered.
- Size limit: artwork— including frame and all materials—must not exceed 60”.
- Original artwork only, no reproductions such as giclées. Original prints and editions are acceptable.
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Apply through CallForEntry.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
Application fee: $40 for up to 3 entries. Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit www.callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply. If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to artworksdowntown.org > Artists tab > Calls for Entry > Tips and Tricks. AWD does not provide technical assistance for submissions.
• 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
• Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; online-image-editor.com
• Using the most current internet browser. Check the CaFÉ help page or this link: browsehappy.com.
• First-timers: please note that adding images to your account “Portfolio” does not submit them to the “call.” You will need to add the images from your portfolio to the call when you apply.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours stated under Exhibition Calendar. All work must be ready for installation. Wall-hung artwork must be securely wired. Artwork must be easy–and ready–to install. No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror. Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the exhibition binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must complete and sign the Consignment Contract during delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name. Apply only if you can arrange delivery on the specified date. Please note that other artists will deliver and pick up during the same hours. You may need to wait for staff to finish processing other artists. Paid parking can be found on the surrounding streets and in two garages one block away on C Street.
Pick Up: Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $5.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown. Please note that other artists will deliver and pick up during the same hours. You may need to wait for staff to finish processing other artists. Paid parking can be found on the surrounding streets and in two garages one block away on C Street.
Sales: Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made payable to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain on display until the end of the exhibition. Patrons may retrieve their artwork when the exhibit ends. Sales will be paid to artists as soon as possible after the exhibition ends.