Images | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Audio | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Event Dates: 11/5/22 - 1/21/23
New Voices: The 2022 District Wide Juried Student Art Exhibition highlights exceptional artworks produced in diverse media across numerous instructional departments.
For the first time in sixty years, the exhibition will feature not only the work from East Los Angeles College students, but from all nine colleges within the Los Angeles Community College District, including Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles Harbor College, Los Angeles Mission College, Los Angeles Pierce College, Los Angeles Southwest College, Los Angeles Trade Technical College, Los Angeles Valley College, and West Los Angeles College.
New Voices marks the return of the annual student art exhibition at the Vincent Price Art Museum since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and features works created since the Fall 2019 Semester.
The exhibition is organized by the Vincent Price Art Museum and is juried by June Edmonds, Jennifer Frias, and Hamza Walker, three leading arts professionals.
Exhibition Dates: November 5, 2022 - January 21, 2023
Opening Reception: November 5, 2022, 6:00PM - 8:00PM
Submission guidelines and requirements:
This competition is open to all students who have been enrolled, successfully completed, and produced artwork in an arts class at any of the nine Los Angeles Community College District campuses since Fall of 2019.
Classes can include: art, architecture, photography, graphic design, illustration, theater arts, media arts, fashion, film, and animation.
Maximum artwork sizes (artwork larger than these dimensions/durations will be disqualified):
- 2D work: up to 4 ft. x 5 ft.
- 3D work: up to 5 ft. x 3 ft. x 3 ft. We can provide bases for 3-D artwork if needed.
- Time-based media (video and audio) up to 5 minutes
The following WILL NOT be accepted:
- multi-panel pieces that exceed the maximum dimensions
- multi-channel videos
- artwork weighing more than 75 lbs.
- Raw/hazardous/live/perishable materials, including materials that are in any way wet, hazardous, toxic, or inconsistent with the Museum’s objectives and professional standards. Use of wet paint, wet clay, liquid solvents, etc., that pose a safety hazard for museum staff and visitors, or can potentially damage the surrounding physical area will be reviewed by VPAM staff and can be disqualified. Furthermore, artwork incorporating or using live animals and insects are prohibited.
Please note: Submission is not a guarantee of inclusion in the exhibition. Artwork for the show will be selected by professional curators or artists who will serve as jurors.
When to submit:
The submission process is online via CaFÉ and you may submit your artwork digitally starting July 27, 2022. The submission deadline is September 7, 2022 at 10:59PM (PT). VPAM will not accept late submissions.
How to submit:
- There is no entry fee for this exhibition.
- All submissions must be finished artworks at the time of submission. There will be no opportunity to send new image files or revised audio/video files after you submit.
- Maximum is 3 submissions/images per student. One image per submission. Each submission should be of one individual artwork. An individual work with 3 images from different angles will not be accepted.
- Label files “Last Name First Name Artwork Title Year of Creation College:”
- Example: “Sandoval Teddy Untitled 1970 ELAC.jpg”
- Images: files must be in sRGB, under 5 MB and no larger 1200 pixels on the longest side. Acceptable image file types include .jpg, .jpeg. Image(s) of artwork(s) must represent the actual artwork(s).
- Audio: files must be under 10 MB. Bit size must be at least 96 kbps and no more than 320 kbps. Acceptable audio file types include .mp3, .wav, .xmf, .aiff.
- Video: files must be under 100 MB. Resolution must be at least 640 x 480 and no more than 1920 x 1080. Aspect ratio of the file should be 4:3 or 16:9. Bit rate above 240 kbps is recommended. Acceptable video file types include .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .3gp, .avi, .asf, .mpg, .m2t, .mkv, and .m2ts.
- CaFÉ Guide to Uploading Media
- Questions? Email the Vincent Price Art Museum at email@example.com including the subject line: “Student Show”
After you submit:
- The jury will evaluate all submissions and determine their selections. All artists will be notified via email whether their work was selected for the exhibition.
- If selected, a single local pick-up will be scheduled at each college between October 3-5 on a first-come, first-served basis. Times are still TBD. All artwork dropped off for delivery is required to be wrapped for shipping. You can bypass this step by dropping your work directly off at the VPAM (see below).
- If selected, and you are unable to deliver the artwork to your college by the collection date, you can deliver it to the Vincent Price Art Museum on October 8, 10, and 11 (times are still TBD). Bring your artwork to building S1, Vincent Price Art Museum, lobby entrance. Work does not need to be wrapped/packaged for shipping if dropped off directly to the museum.
- Note that non-exhibition-ready works WILL NOT be accepted for exhibition, even if selected by the jurors.
- Paintings on stretched canvas or wall-hung work must have D-rings or cleats properly installed on the back. Any work brought in without D-rings or cleats will not be accepted.
- 2D works on paper such as collage, photography, drawings, prints, etc. must be framed with glass or plexiglass. Works submitted without glass or plexiglass will not be accepted.
- Frames must be equipped with securely attached hanging hardware. We highly recommend using D-rings over hanging wire. We will not accept pieces fitted with sawtooth hangers, adhesive wire strips, clips or other fasteners.
- A limited number of frame scholarships will be available for applicants who qualify. VPAM may also be able to provide existing frames. For more information on available frames, please email VPAM at firstname.lastname@example.org including the subject line: “Frames”
- To prevent smudging, pastels, charcoal, or cray-pas must have fixative applied if it is on canvas, or panel (paper works are required to be framed)
- If you submit a 2D work, please place an arrow pointing “up” on the reverse of the piece. (Please also write your name on the back side of the piece.)
- For works that have multiple components, please provide clear instructions, with a sketch, of how the pieces work together.
- Opening Reception will be Saturday November 5, 2022 from 6:00PM – 8:00PM. Jurors’ prizes will be made public at the Opening Reception.