Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 10
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 10
Jury Dates: 11/22/22 - 11/22/22
The City of Napa supports the placement of public art in the community through a variety of different programs created to contribute to a more livable and visually stimulating environment. The City of Napa Public Art program is developing new ways that public art can engage the community and create a unique experience for tourists and locals.
The City of Napa opens a Request for Proposals for a lead artist(s) to design and install a temporary mural to be displayed on a prominent and high trafficked location on First and Main St. downtown Napa. This call is open to California residents of all backgrounds and cultures. The City of Napa believes the experiences of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and other marginalized groups should be centered in the arts. We encourage artists who identify with these communities to apply. Artist(s) applying need to demonstrate the ability to execute a successful mural project based on project goals below.
This public mural is to be created as a one-of-a-kind work of art to enhance the beauty, creativity and community in downtown Napa. There is no specific theme for this project. The goals and core values for this project are to be aligned with our City’s Public Art Master Plan.
It is important for public artwork in Napa’s urban center to offer a source of inspiration and pride for tourists and the community alike, as the valley navigates consistent growth and revitalization. It is important that we inspire, invigorate, and encourage new ideas that serve as a catalyst for creativity.
The City aims to accomplish the following:
- Create an exciting, appealing and harmonious public environment by integrating art into public spaces.
- Preserve and enrich Napa’s cultural environment
- Enhance the character of Napa through visibility of community valued artwork
- Stimulate the downtown economy through increased pedestrian activity and positioning Napa as an art destination.
Some restrictions the artist should be aware of include the following:
- The mural should be two dimensional
- The mural should be installed to withstand weather and other site conditions. The mural must have an anti graffiti application.
- The mural is subject to removal by the City or property owner at any time during or after the installation.
Artwork is ineligible, for any one or more of the following reasons, if the artwork:
- Contains: copyright, logo, brand or business name, address, phone number
- Is plagiarized, stolen, or copied from another source
- Is or can be construed as an obscene, political, or harmful matter
Call for Artists
This RFP is a process by which the City of Napa seeks to identify and select a qualified public artist(s) and their proposal to create and install a one-of-a-kind temporary mural in downtown Napa.
- The City seeks qualifications from experienced public artists (or artist teams) who specialize in murals. This individual or team of individuals must be able to:
- design a high-quality mural with submitting a design proposal along with examples of past work
- collaborate with agency staff to ensure the pragmatic design and successful installation of the project; and
- design and implement the project within the allocated budget.
Public Art Budget
The budget is a not-to-exceed figure of $10,000. Artist is responsible for providing all materials including anti graffiti coating, related to this project.
Project Location and details:
The City of Napa is looking to beautify a high trafficked area in Downtown Napa at a vacant lot located on First Street and Main Street by commissioning a mural artist(s) to create a temporary mural. The project area consists of a plywood fence with an opportunity to paint three of the four sides. Artist(s) have flexibility to use the entire wall or a percentage of, however all three sides must have imagery and/or designs created and painted by the commissioned artist(s).
See attached RFP with SITE PLAN for images and dimensions.
Complete Submissions must include the following:
1.Letter of Interest
A letter stating the artist’s interest in the project, addressing concept, design and how you approached this project.
Artists may submit between 10-15 images maximum. Images should accurately represent the artwork size. Images should include examples of previous works and images of the proposed artwork for the project site.
3. Image list & Description
For each artwork submitted, please provide a short description (up to 5 sentences) of the piece and any aspects of the work that may not be obvious in the images, or any other relevant information.
Artists should provide an image list including the following for each artwork:
- Date of Completion
- Medium (Please Be Specific)
- Dimensions (Height X Width X Depth)
A resume outlining the applicant’s experience, qualifications and the experience of key team members (if applicable)
5. Proposed Project Budget: Includes all artist fees, site preparation, all travel expenses, materials and installation.
This Request for Proposals (RFP) is open to California based professional artists or teams with experience in executing a successful mural project are encouraged to apply.