Days remaining to deadline: 25
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $35.00
Media Fee(Media Fee): $10.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 6
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 6
State: New Mexico
Event Dates: 1/3/23 - 1/21/23
This exhibition will feature artists whose work expresses and articulates the myriad, exciting and challenging ways in which our reality has become fragmented. All of us experience the dizzying splitting of our attention among the burgeoning opportunities of ever improving digital devices, the abundance of disparate and competing news reports and the allure of social media. Our bodies themselves are increasingly prosthetically enhanced, and humanity embraces the possibilities of artificial intelligence. Gene editing/genetic engineering are other visionary and ground-breaking experiments with fragmentation and hybridization. Contemporary art, as possibly never before, is an ecstatic discourse of fragmentary styles and genres. There are many compelling creative opportunities to embody this kaleidoscopic reality in visual art, from Neo-Cubist spatial fragmentation, Modernist conflation of surface and depth, Post-Modernist marriage of disparate styles and iconography, to digital pixelation, to the playful deployment of literal, material fragments in collage and assemblage. Any artwork that addresses or involves fragmentation/hybridization/cross-fertilization is a potential prophet or embodiment of this brave new world.
Fragments is a juried exhibition held at Strata Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The exhibition will run from January 3 - January 21, 2023.
$200 - Best of Show (1)
$150 - Director's Choice (1)
$50 - Honorable Mention (2)
About Strata Gallery:
Strata Gallery is a non-profit, artist-member gallery with a mission that cultivates artistic discussion and educates the public about the work of contemporary established and emerging artists. Through our mentorship program, our established artists give our emerging artists direct guidance, feedback, and information as they learn to navigate their artistic practice. Through collaborations and discussions, Strata Gallery provides a venue that encourages artists to experiment and re-examine what art is and could be. Strata Gallery does not favor any distinct style and promotes a range of diverse and authentic individual expression through a varied material practice, imagery, style, and ethos independent of any commercial concern. Strata Gallery is located at 418 Cerrillos Road, Suite 1C, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501.
About the Juror:
David Olivant is the President and co-founder of Strata Gallery. He was professor of painting for 25 years at CSU Stanislaus. His work has been featured in solo exhibitions in New Delhi, New York City, Chicago, Dusseldorf, Wuppertal, Fresno and San Bernardino. His recent bodies of work - Heteroglyphs and Retroglyphs address heterogeneity, as well as spatial and temporal fragmentation.
Selection Criteria Include:
- Does the artwork comply with the submission requirements? Failure to follow submission requirements will result in immediate disqualification from consideration.
- Uniqueness and originality
- Visual impact
- Demonstrated excellence of technique
- Exhibition Dates: January 3 – January 21, 2023
- Reception Date: January 6, 2023, 5-8pm
- Submission Deadline: November 1, 2022
- Notification Date: December 1, 2022
- Deadline for Loan Agreements: December 15, 2022
- Work Delivery Deadline: December 20, 2022
- Unsold works pickup/returned: January 21, 2023 (12pm-2pm)
Sales of Artwork
Each respective artist will handle the sale and shipping of any sold artwork included in the Fragments exhibition. Strata Gallery will collect contact information of all interested buyers and provide that information to the artist who will then execute the sale and shipping of their artwork. All sold artwork included in the Fragments exhibition will be subject to 20% commission which will be due to Strata Gallery.
- All artwork must be ready to hang/display with the proper hardware (i.e., paintings framed with wire).
- Media accepted: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media.
- Dimensions: Wall mounted work max size is 40x40 inches (12 inches deep for wall mounted sculpture).
- Max Weight: 25 lbs.
- Submitted work must remain available for the duration of the exhibition.
- No changes to information can be made once submitted.
Image Format Requirements:
- Submit image in .jpg format.
- Include the following annotations:
- Artist’s name
- Title of Artwork
- Date of completion
- Size in inches: Height x Width x Depth
- Price of artwork
Submission Fee: $35 for first three submissions. $10 per additional submission (maximum of three additional submissions). Overall maximum of 6 submissions total.
Payment: card and PayPal only (through CallForEntry.org)
Artists who work in the following media: painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media.