Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 3, Maximum:Max. 5
Event Dates: 9/12/22 - 11/11/22
Creative and numerical worlds will collide with the Art of Data, a collaborative exhibit from the City of Coral Springs Office of Budget and Strategy that asks artists to take city data and interpret it through their own artistic medium. This exhibit will explore what happens when common statistics are morphed into a visual representation.
- Promote discussion, civic dialogue, and public engagement.
- Generate new partnerships and engagement between artist, artwork, and the community; and
- Celebrate the arts and talent within the community.
Artists are asked to submit a conceptual proposal directly from the data sets attached to this call.
The city will retain ownership of the commissioned works from May 1 – May 31, 2023, the length of the exhibition.
The datasets provided for artists to interpret are as follows:
- Number of trees planted within the city (An Attractive Community)
- Coral Springs kilowatt usage
- Tonnage of litter removed in Coral Springs
- Particulate Matter (PM 2.5) Pollution Rates in Coral Springs
- Breakdown of Property Taxing Authorities
- GIS Map of the City’s FY 2022 Projects
- Enrollment in "Alert Coral Springs" (Innovative, High Performing and Sustainable Organization)
- Coral Springs Charter School Graduation Rate (A Family-Friendly Community)
- Traffic Crashes in Coral Springs (An Attractive Community)
- CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) Force Members (An Innovative, High Performing and Sustainable Organization)
Funding for supplies will be provided up to $250 for each artist selected; the city may commission up to eight (8) artworks. Multiple submissions may be submitted by an artist; up to eight (8) artists will be selected for the exhibition.
The selected artists will be responsible for the development and execution of all necessary aspects of the design and fabrication/performance and foundation or bases, as needed, in addition to the install and delivery of the artwork.
Tentative Project Schedule
- Artist submission deadline: November 30, 2022
- Artist Selection: December 14, 2022
- Artwork Installation: April 26, 2023
- Artwork Removal: June 2, 2023
The application process is managed by the City of Coral Springs in partnership with the Coral Springs Public Art Committee. Each applicant or team must submit the following for review of the selection panel on or before close of business November 30, 2022:
- Letter of Interest (include data set and narrative proposal of artwork)
- Three (3) images of past work, including Title, Dimension & Description (at least one image should reflect the style/intent of the proposed artwork and should be noted in the description section)
- Image of proposed Artwork
The Office of Budget, Intergovernmental, Strategy, and Sustainability will convene a selection panel to evaluate submissions. The selection panel and project advisors shall work together to review conceptual proposals, resumes, and images of recent and relevant work submitted by applicants.
The panel will consist of two members from the Public Art Committee and three City staff members.
The selected artist(s) must be willing to enter into an agreement to develop a design for final approval and to fabricate/create the work. Selections will be made by December 14, 2022.
Review of the conceptual proposals will be based on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit;
- Clarity of Proposal Narrative;
- Merit of proposal to foster public engagement;
- Appropriateness of the artwork to the goals of the program; and
- Experience and other qualifications of the artist.
Questions / Contact
- Marissa Williams • 954-344-1133 • firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nicole Giordano • 954-344-5928 • email@example.com
- Artists are asked to submit a conceptual proposal directly from the data sets attached to this call.
- No fee is required to submit an application. No late entries will be considered.
- All mediums welcome (paintings, drawings, textiles, static images of digital data visualizations, sculpture etc.). Three dimensional or installation artwork may be submitted, but space will be extremely limited for these displays. Digital mediums will only be accepted if the artwork is fully self-sufficient (i.e., no resetting needed or turning equipment on/off) and comes with the necessary equipment for the artwork to be displayed (monitor, laptop etc.).
- 32" (W) x 40” (H)
- For sculptures or free-standing pieces, maximum dimensions include: 96” (H) x 45” (W) x 40” (D)
- Artwork must be the original work of the applicant.
- Artwork must be in ready-to-hang format.
Artist Requirements Once Selected
- Transportation and off-truck loading of the artwork to the specific site in Coral Springs
- Installation and removal of the artwork
- Artist must notify the city if electricity is required for installation
- Professional artists at least 18 years of age living or working within the Tri-County area to include: Broward County, Miami-Dade County, and Palm Beach County are eligible to apply.
- Part-time and Full-time City of Coral Springs employees may submit proposals; however, if selected, no compensation will be provided.
- Artists are NOT eligible who are immediate family or business partners of members of the Public Art Committee, the selection committee or program staff.