Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 1
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
Event Dates: 6/1/23 - 6/1/25
Budget: up to $5,000 honorarium, all-inclusive
Up to ten artworks may be selected and showcased for two years in the heart of Newport Beach in Civic Center Park. The 14-acre, ocean-view site was specially designed by renowned landscape architect Peter Walker as an intended sculpture garden. The Civic Center Park has developed into a destination for residents and visitors to gather for events and activities including summer concerts on the lawn, art shows, docent-led sculpture park tours, visits to the dog park, or leisurely walks along the park’s winding trail, appreciating its environmentally-friendly expanse of native plant life. As home to City Hall, City administrative offices, and the Central Branch of the city’s public library system, the Civic Center is the heart of Newport Beach.
This exhibition has consistently delighted and enriched visitors with the works of world-class artists both local and national.
For information about Civic Center Park https://www.newportbeachca.gov/government/departments/library-services/cultural-arts/sculpture-in-civic-center-park-exhibition
The City seeks a well-balanced exhibit of Public Art emphasizing a variety of styles, types, and sizes; and a diverse pool of artists. The City will determine specific locations for artworks within the Park grounds. Locations are subject to change and the City reserves the right to relocate sculptures in the exhibition to alternate sites within Civic Center Park without notice and at its sole discretion.
• Artistic Merit: Artists shall have substantial professional qualifications, high-quality artwork that demonstrates originality and artistic excellence.
· Artwork must be the original work of the identified artist or artists. Artworks, when installed, will be readily visible from the interpretive trails. Artworks should be suitable for viewing from all angles.
· Artworks shall be appropriate for audiences of all ages.
• Durability: The City will consider only artwork made of high-quality materials which can withstand the natural elements of coastal Southern California for a minimum of two years. Consideration will be given to structural and surface integrity, protection against theft and vandalism, and minimal maintenance requirements.
• Meets Minimum Requirements: Artworks must be located in the United States at the time of submission, available for the duration of the exhibition period, available for delivery during the pre-determined installation period of June 1-16, 2023, and prepared for installation.
· In most cases, the artworks will be installed on a concrete pad raised approximately 4” above ground or affixed to concrete footings flush with the ground. Depending upon the nature of their design, some works may be installed in such a manner that they come into direct contact with the ground.
· If there are any special requirements for installing the artwork (e.g. requires a raised plinth, cannot touch the ground, etc.), these must be explained on the submission form. Similarly, if any images of the artwork in the submission display bases, plinths, or other structural elements associated with display or installation, the submission must explain whether these will be provided with the artwork, and their dimensions and weight also provided.
• Site Responsiveness: Artwork should be appropriate in scale, material, and content for the immediate, general, social, and physical environments to which they relate. Artworks will be installed in unsupervised areas and must not exhibit unsafe conditions or factors that may bear on public liability, as members of the public may come into contact with the works.
Artworks which incorporate sustainable strategies, demonstrate green processes or utilize green design, materials theories, and techniques are welcome, but not required.
• Title and date of artwork
• Very brief description of artwork (30-word maximum)
• Description of the piece including materials, accurate dimensions, weight, and installation instructions
• Estimated value of artwork
• Is artwork available for sale? If so, at what price?
• Current location of artwork
• Collection of [insert name here] OR Courtesy of [insert name here]
• List of previous exhibition locations, if any
• Has the proposed artwork been installed in an outdoor, public setting before? If not, how will you prepare the artwork for the outdoor, public installation at the Civic Center Park?
• Why is the submitted artwork appropriate for the Civic Center Park?
• What is your relevant public art experience?
• Preliminary Budget to include: 1) Estimated transportation cost 2) Insurance cost 3) Artist honorarium. Budget total must not exceed maximum honorarium of $5,000.
• Resume/curriculum vitae (no more than two pages) including name, mailing address, phone number(s), email and website (if applicable), along with the names/contact information/titles of three (3) professional references
• Between two (2) and four (4) images of the artwork submitted; ideally at least one overview and one detail close-up. Any images not of the submitted piece (e.g. other works by the artist,) will be removed from consideration.
· Artwork must arrive in the same condition as seen in submitted images. Artwork delivered that differs in any way from the submitted images may be subject to rejection and automatic termination of the Memorandum of Understanding & Loan Agreement at the sole discretion of the City of Newport Beach or its project contractor.
This call is open to all professional artists and artist teams, private collectors, galleries, and museums/non-profit organizations, in any country. All applicants must be over the age of 18; with a limit of only one (1) finished, original artwork per artist. Submitted works must be complete, in installation-ready condition, and physically located in the United States at the time of submission. The exhibition budget does not allow for overseas transportation and the accompanying costs.
Submissions of proposals, renderings, miniatures, general work portfolios and other unfinished work states will be marked ineligible and not presented to the jury.
Submitted works must be available for delivery to the Newport Beach Civic Center Park site during the period of June 1-16, 2023 for installation.