Contact Email: email@example.com
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
State: South Dakota
The South Dakota Art For State Buildings (AFSB) program was established in 2008 by the South Dakota State Legislature for the purpose of creating a permanent state art collection showcasing South Dakota artists and artwork. The State Art Collection is displayed in publicly accessible areas of state government buildings located throughout the state capital city of Pierre, SD. The South Dakota Arts Council (SDAC) manages the collection and the program. Proposals to this collection are accepted on an annual basis.
A full list of the Art for State Buildings collection and locations is available via the SDAC website at https://artscouncil.sd.gov/directories/artstatebldgs.aspx
An office of the South Dakota Department of Tourism, the South Dakota Arts Council's mission is to provide grants and services to artists, arts organizations, and schools across the state, with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts and the state of South Dakota.
The South Dakota Department of Tourism is comprised of Tourism and the South Dakota Arts Council. The Department is led by Secretary James D. Hagen.
- Provide a bio or resume.
This information should include your current contact information such as phone number, email address, and mailing address; and should also include information that attests to the experience and artistic quality of the artist, such as training, mentoring, certifications, education, exhibitions, inclusion in public and private collections, and awards.
- Provide an artist statement.
This brief statement should describe what inspires you as an artist, and an impactful description of the original artwork you chose to submit specifically for this program.
- Provide ONE digital image of each piece submitted.
Artists are required to submit a high-resolution digital JPG file formatted to be viewed right-side up of the original artwork submitted for sale. The artist may submit a maximum of TWO pieces of artwork to be considered for purchase. The Selection Committee will base all visual scoring on the images provided, and purchases will be based on this information. The SDAC reserves the right to return a selected artwork if the purchased piece differs from the image submitted.
- Provide information about each original artwork submitted for consideration.
Required information includes:
- Title of original artwork
- Dimensions (including frame, base/pedestal, or other types of finishing)
- Purchase price (including frame, base/pedestal, or other types of finishing)
- Date of completion of the original artwork (or for instance, date of photo taken)
Artists (age 18 or older) currently residing in South Dakota (or whose primary residence during the majority of their art career has been South Dakota) are eligible to submit proposals.
- Original artwork: Artwork proposed for purchase must be original and cannot be reproductions of work originally created in another medium. (For example, a printed copy or reproduction of an original painting is not eligible.)
- Medium: All visual art processes are eligible, including two-dimensional (flat surface, including photography) or three-dimensional (including sculpture) artwork.
- Date of completion: Artwork completed and available for purchase at the time of proposal is eligible.
- Framing/finishing: Artwork proposed for purchase must be ready for display at the time of submission and purchase (framed, base/pedestal, wall-mounting, wrapped with finished edge, glazed, archivally matted, etc.) if applicable to the artwork. The SDAC reserves the right to return a selected artwork if the purchased piece differs from the image submitted.
- Digital files: Images of artwork proposed for purchase must be high resolution digital images that accurately match the color/tone of the actual artwork, and the actual display (such as framing, base/pedestal, finished edge, glazed, archivally matted, etc.) The Selection Committee will score the artwork based on the images provided, and purchases will be based on this information.