Entry Fee (Entry Fee for 2 entries): $27.00
Media Fee(Additional Entries): $5.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 9
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 9
Event Dates: 2/18/23 - 3/19/23
Jury Dates: 2/5/23 - 2/5/23
More than any other object in history, an empty sheet of paper has taken people to places of endless imagination, design, and creativity. Paper has played a major role in the development of our world, the rise of civilizations, and in the lives of the people that have impacted it. In art, music, writing, and cultural communication through visual, literal, or transitive means, paper has been the common thread of all of them. In art, ideas that begin on paper often serve as the visionary basis for larger projects. Vestige Concept Gallery seeks to pay homage to the "great and simple paper" by hosting an exhibit comprised entirely of works on paper, or made of paper.
Works could include graphite, pen, ink, charcoal, pastels, printmaking, paper craft (3D or 2D), collage, colored pencil, gouache, watercolor, word art (and book art), and works could also include rough drafts or storyboards of larger works. Mixed media/techniques of the above items are also welcome to apply. Materials should all be primarily organic in their nature.
For this opportunity, we are unfortunately not accepting photography, digital photography and digitally altered prints or other materials. However, pieces of photography and/or digital "things" or "remnants", are acceptable if- they are included as parts of a larger collage or mixed media piece.
Any prints (i.e. printmaking) must be original and editioned with the exception of monoprinting. Please include in the description edition number and total edition amount (If 1 of 1, also please state this). Non-editioned prints and digital reproductions will not be accepted.
We accept works from emerging, mid-career, and/or professional artists. Work should somehow relate to the theme of the show, ideally emphasizing a relationship between artist, media, and the surface (paper).
"Down On Paper" In-Person Opening Reception will be held Saturday, February 18th, 2023, at 6 PM.
It is anticipated there will be another folk/storytelling type event to be held around St. Patrick's Day in March 2023.
Invited works must be received between Feb 6th-16th.
About the Gallery:
Vestige Concept Gallery specializes in curated monthly mixed exhibition opportunities that appeal to diverse range of artists, audiences, and buyers. Located in Lawrenceville, the new cultural heart of Pittsburgh, PA, the Gallery seeks to showcase the best of emerging and professional artist talent from across North America, and sell work at affordable prices through promotions and in-person events.
- "Down On Paper" is open to any artists over age 18, within the United States and Canada.
- Work should ideally have been created in the last three years, and must be the original artwork, ready to display.
- The specific work must not have been previously displayed in a Vestige Concept Gallery exhibit.
- Work must be for sale. (No "NFS" or deliberate overpricing)
- No Giclees or reproductions of original works will be accepted for this opportunity.
- Applicants may submit up to nine (9) entries. Two (2) entries are included in the $27 application.
- An additional charge of $5 per entry is charged for any additional submissions over 2.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE is Saturday, February 4th, at Midnight (MST)
- Artists will be notified of acceptance on or before Sunday, February 5th at Midnight
- Shipped works of art must arrive no later than Thursday, February 16th 2023
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
- Artists accepted into the show must reply email confirmation upon acceptance, and later, be willing to provide an artist pic, short bio, and web/social links (if applicable). These items are necessary for the Online version of the show and other promotions. By submitting this information, you provide Vestige Concept Gallery all rights to post the work on their gallery website and on social media, unless otherwise discussed.
- Accepted artwork must be the actual artwork as seen in the submitted images. No substitutions. Vestige Concept Gallery reserves the right to pull any artwork that differs from the images in the accepted submission. Any Giclées will automatically be pulled from the show unless it was initially stated that the work itself is a Giclée or digital print.
- Accepted artwork listed for sale must be for the price listed in the submission. No last-minute price changes.
- Vestige Concept Gallery will retain a 30% commission for any artwork sold--please factor this into your pricing and update your Cafe profile accordingly.
- Artists are responsible for shipping & optional shipping insurance to and from Vestige Concept Gallery. A prepaid return shipping label must be included. Fedex or UPS only.
- Shipped work must be sent in reusable, sturdy boxes and marked with your name. No loose peanuts. Artwork framed with glass is the responsibility of the artist. Artwork with glass that arrives in broken condition may be pulled from the event if artist is unable to remedy the issue.
- Late or damaged work will not be exhibited.
- Art damaged in transit is solely the responsibility of the artist and shipper. Artwork may also be hand-delivered, if within range.
- Wall pieces MUST be securely wired, framed, and properly prepared for display. Painted edges and/or a clean edge (i.e. the edges were masked off prior to painting), are acceptable for paintings. Sawtooth is ok for photography and small work only, that weighs less than 5 pounds.
- 2D Work must not exceed 30lbs, including frame. 3D artists of a non-traditional nature may wish to inquire with the gallery first before submitting. "Traditional" means works such as (but not limited to) ceramics and sculptures that fit onto a pedestal. Traditional 3D should generally not require any inquiry.
- ORNATE FRAMES are subject to review upon arrival, and if deemed overwhelming, distracting, or egregious in size, may be removed from the show at the gallery discretion. Ornate and very old, historical looking frames should be avoided.
- Artists who "size jump" (i.e. photography printed at larger sizes than initially stated, or adding wide matting that increases the frame size), may be removed from the show at gallery discretion. Any concerns about final presentation on said items, please check with the gallery first.
- From time to time in certain exhibits, the gallery may feature 1-2 artists and include their name in the subtitle of the show, below the main exhibit title.
FEB 4 - Application deadline
FEB 5 - Acceptance notification
FEB 16 - Deadline for shipped or dropped-off work
FEB 18 - Opening Reception
FEB/MAR-- normal business hours
MAR 19 - Show closes
WEEK OF MAR 19- Any unsold artwork is packaged and shipped back
Any questions please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in applying!
Minimum 2 work samples, Artist Bio and Statement
18+, US and Canada