Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $25.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 10
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 10
Budget: Budget details available upon request.
Through this program, ASLD hosts a Visiting Artist who identifies as Black, Indigenous, and/or a person of color for a 6-9 month long residency. The residency offers the artist access to dedicated studio space at ASLD; the opportunity to lead workshops, lectures, and community engagement programs; and culminates with a solo exhibition of work created throughout the residency.
Each residency is tailored to the artist’s expertise and discipline. Selected artists lead workshops specific to themes and issues of importance to Black, Indigenous, and/or people of color and other underrepresented communities. Selected artists have a dedicated 900 sq ft studio at the Art Students League of Denver for the duration of their residency. The studio can be equipped with equipment appropriate to the resident artist’s practice (necessary equipment is covered by ASLD as part of our grant funding for this project). Artist has access to classes and instruction offered at ASLD. Artists will receive a monthly stipend to cover housing and living expenses as well as studio materials. The budget for housing costs and living expenses is determined based on Denver market rates at the time of the residency. Staff is available to assist with securing housing if desired. Details about the monthly stipend are available upon request.
For a complete list of FAQs please see the residency page of our website.
Please provide the following information:
- Name Pronouns
- Phone number
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Website and/or social media handles (if public)
- Artist Bio, Resume and/or CV
- Artist statement
- 5-10 images of your work. Images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format, 300 DPI, 1920 x 1920 and must conform to CAFÉ’s file size specifications.
Please answer the following questions:
- Ideally, residencies will begin September 1, 2023. However, there is some room for negotiation. Please specify the duration of the residency you would prefer, and your preferred start date.
- Describe your artistic practice.
- How will you use this residency to grow your own artistic practice? Describe the impact the residency would have at this point in your career.
- Describe your relationship to justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility (JEDIA) both personally and professionally. How are these themes addressed in your work and how would they be fostered during your residency?
- Describe your connection to diverse or underrepresented communities and how you would engage similar communities in the Denver metro area through your art.
Applications must include answers to all of the questions listed above, as well as visual work samples.
Work Sample Requirements:
Images | Min. 5, Max. 10
Total Samples | Min. 5, Max. 10
While the Visiting Artist of Color Residency prioritizes Black, Indigenous, and/or artists of color, the program is not exclusionary. Artists are selected through an open application process, with input from a panel of community members. This program is open to national and international* artists 21+ years of age who demonstrate strong work that complements ASLD’s faculty, with priority given to artists from outside the Denver metro area. Artists from any visual arts media are welcome and alumni of ASLD’s Visiting Artist series are eligible.
*International artists are responsible for any and all visa requirements.
ASLD is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, creed, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or ability.