Contact Email: email@example.com
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
Bound For Books is a public art project which intends to encourage reading, provide a place for people to rest, and to instill in the community an understanding and appreciation of public art. The artists chosen for this project will serve as independent contractors of the Town of Danville. The Town of Danville shall retain ownership of the benches and the designs, including, but not limited to, reproduction rights, physical maintenance, and lifespan. In all uses of the bench, the creative product will be credited to the artist. All terms and conditions will be laid out in a contract to be signed by the artist upon selection.
• To commission artists (or artist teams) to design and paint ten artistic book benches; and
• To enhance Downtown Danville with an immersive art experience that can be enjoyed by residents and visitors to the Town of Danville
The design should:
• Be original ideas directly from the artist; and
• Be transformative in nature, no direct copies of a book cover, nor illustrated scenes pulled directly from a book.
• Each design should cover the entire bench, front and sides and back.
• The bench is 48 inches wide, 38 inches tall, and 38 inches deep, and weighs approximately 110 pounds. Artist must be able to physically handle moving the bench or have an assistant who can.
• A vinyl placard will be applied to the bench in the lower right-hand corner, approximately 6 inches x 6 inches and it will include artist name, sponsor, and the Town’s Logo in black ink.
Selection & Approval Process
1) Selection: The Bound for Books! Selection Committee will review all submission packages for inclusion
2) Notification: All artists will be informed as to whether their design was selected or not by the committee by February 7, 2023.
3) Supplies: The Town of Danville will provide the Book Bench and the graffiti varnish, but artists are asked to supply their own paint and brushes. The painting of the Book Benches will take place at the Artist’s studio. Artist must be able to transport the bench in their own vehicle.
4) Stipend: Artists will receive a stipend of $1,000.00 for their work on Book Bench.
Please submit the following by January 23, 2023:
Please download the blank template for the bench (pages 7-10 of site plan) and use this for your design entry. Design should carry out from front to back as the bench will be viewed from all sides. Up to three designs per Artists or Artist Group.
Timeline: *All dates subject to change
• December 15, 2022 Call To Artists Opens
• January 23, 2023 at 11:00 P.M. application and designs due on Café
• February 6, 2023 Artists notified if their design has been selected
•April 10-13, 2023 Artists to pick up Book Benches
• June 5-7, 2023 Finished Book Benches to be brought back to Town of Danville
• June 9, 2023 Book Benches will be placed outside for all to enjoy through September 2023
If artists are selected for the project, they will be sent an Artist Contract to review sign and they will also be asked to submit invoice and W9 upon completion of project.
Upload up to three designs of unique and artistic renditions of book bench concepts. Each design may have up to four views: front, back and two sides views of the bench design.
This is an open call to artists who reside in one of the nine Bay Area Counties.
Open to professional artists and/or serious art students. We encourage applications from members of historically marginalized or underrepresented communities to apply.