Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $60.00
Media Fee(Media Fee): $20.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
State: South Carolina
Prospectus: South Carolina Watermedia Society’s 46th Annual National Exhibition
Pickens County Museum of Art & History, Pickens, SC 29671
Since its founding in 1977, the South Carolina Watermedia Society (SCWS) has strived to promote the artistic and professional interests of its members as well as provide visual arts programs and education opportunities to the public. Each year, the Annual Exhibition is held in a location in the state of South Carolina. It is a high-caliber, juried exhibition that draws national participation and acclaim. Artwork is selected by a professional juror. 2023 is the 46th year of the existence of the SCWS!
2023 SCWS National Exhibition Timeline
March 15: Official prospectus published & workshop registration opens on SCWS website
March 23: Call for entries opens on CaFE
May 1: Entry deadline. No entries will be accepted after this date.
June 4: SCWS sends notification to artists whose work is accepted into the exhibit.
July 18: Artists deliver accepted entries
August 2: SCWS sends notification to award winners (but not specific awards).
August 3, 4, 5: JJ Jiang teaches workshop at Pickens County Museum 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM each day, limited to 15 participants.
August 5: Show opens to the public with announcement of awards and opening reception, 5:00PM
October 6: Exhibition closes
Oct 9 - Oct 20: Artists may collect their work. Traveling show pieces remain in the museum’s possession.
Works must be:
1. Original (not derived from another’s intellectual property or copyrighted references).
2. Painted after May 1, 2020
3. Not previously displayed in a SCWS Exhibition.
4. Created on any surface that will allow framing (required unless work is created on a canvas with finished edges or gallery wrapped).
5. Wired and ready for hanging and framed with framed dimensions specified. 6. Mats (if used) must be white, off-white, or pale grey.
7. Maximum size is 48” in either direction, including the frame. Maximum depth (with frame) is 2 and 3/4” and maximum weight is 25 lbs.
8. Plexiglas/acrylic 1/8” glazing (glass is not permitted) must be used for all pieces on paper or paper-like products unless the work is sealed/varnished on a panel or other rigid surface.
9. Frames must be a maximum 2 and 3/4” wide flat-face “museum style” unadorned natural wood (dark, light, etc., such as maple, cherry, oak, mahogany). However, no WHITE (EVEN WOOD) OR METAL FRAMES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
The non-refundable entry fee is $60 for one entry. First entry of a paid member is included in the membership fee. A coupon code was sent to all active members on April 30. Second entry is $20.
Artists must pay an additional handling fee of $25 for pieces shipped. Detailed instructions for shipping and delivery will be provided in the acceptance notification and guidelines.
All entries must be executed in watermedia. Watercolor, acrylic, gouache, etc., are acceptable. Collage is acceptable; however, the painting must be primarily painted. NO oils or water soluble oils will be accepted.
Pickens County Museum is a family-friendly venue and a destination for school children from across the state. Artists are encouraged to be mindful of the Museum’s core audience when submitting work for the exhibition.
Students who wish to join the Society in the student category (high school and college through age 25) must provide a photocopy of an OFFICIAL school identification to join as a regular member at the student rate of $45. Student entries must be original from concept to completion, executed EXCLUSIVELY by the student (not under the supervision of an instructor).
NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE.