Images | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 10
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 10
Budget: $111,150 - $384,750
The City of Wichita is seeking qualified artists for three public sculpture art commissions on the grounds of the new Northwest Water Facility (NWWF). The facility is expected to be operational by the end of 2024. The artwork for the project is expected to be installed by the end of 2023. The new water treatment facility will be built near 21st N and Hoover, directly northeast of the Sedgwick County Zoo. The new water treatment plant will serve the city of Wichita, surrounding communities, industries, and wholesale customers. The new plant will provide 120 million gallons per day of drinking water and will replace the aging Main Water Treatment Plant.
The artwork will be selected by the project steering committee, including several members of City Council and the Sedgwick County Zoo. The steering committee will make their decision based on artist eligibility and the selection criteria listed below. The selected artists proposals may require input and design development based on feedback from the committee and is subject to their final approval. Selected artists will give regular updates on their progress through the fabrication and installation process.
Click VIEW SITE DETAILS above for more details on art goals, site plans and location breakdowns.
January 6, 2023 – RFQ announced
January 15, 2023 – Any questions from artists are due in writing to email@example.com
January 25, 2023 – Deadline to submit
February 6, 2023 – Finalists announced with a stipend for project concept designs
February 24, 2023 – Finalists to submit project concept designs
March 6, 2023 – Commission awarded
September – December 2023 - Project installation
*if this schedule is changed, NINE dot ARTS will revise the schedule and send notice to all finalists
Please submit all of the following information. Applicants who fail to include all submittal requirements may not be considered for the project.
- Artist name (or names of team members if applying as a collaboration), phone number and email address
- Website and/or social media links if applicable
- Indication of which art location or locations you would like to be considered for (i.e. Location 1, 2, 3A, or 3B)
- Brief written description of your project approach and intention to create connections to the Wichita community through the artwork and through usage of local vendors in the art process (150 words or less)
- Two references
- Five to ten images of relevant examples of past work (video accepted). Images should represent the artist’s style, format, medium, or breadth of work. Please include scale and medium for all works—and if a public installation, include the year installed and its location.
- Resume or CV
Criteria for Eligibility
- Demonstrated experience working with community public art programs
- Ability to work with architects, designers, fabricators to successfully achieve concept to install
- Successful experience working on time and within budget
- Individual artists or collaborations with multiple artists may apply
The city of Wichita has a vibrant art community and many local firms who can assist with the development, fabrication and installation of the art piece. The committee prefers to have local project service firms and specialists involved in the project in some capacity and will give preference to artists who plan to utilize these local resources.
This could include:
- Engineers for developing stamped drawings
- Concrete firms for pouring the footers
- Installation crews
- Lighting specialists
- Landscape architects
We recommend using subcontractors already involved in the NWWF project because of their experience locally. NINE dot ARTS will help coordinate work and bids through these contacts.
Artists will be selected on the basis of the fit of their concept for this project and the strength of their past work. For applicants without a history of past public art commissions, you will need to describe why you would be a good fit for this project. Previous public art experience is not required. Applicants will be reviewed and ranked on the following:
- Quality of concept, design, and craftsmanship of past works
- Creativity of approach
- Relevance to Art Vision (see pgs. 5-6)
- Familiarity with the Wichita community and willingness to work with local firms
- Visual and technical sophistication
Artist nationwide are encouraged to apply.
Click VIEW SITE DETAILS for more.