Entry Fee (without $25 NWS Member Promo/Coupon Code): $70.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 1
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 1
2023 NATIONAL WATERCOLOR SOCIETY 103rd INTERNATIONAL OPEN EXHIBITION
AWARDS: Estimate $40,000+ in Cash and Merchandise includes NWS $5,000 (Cash) Permanent Collection Purchase Award.
Acceptance is one count toward NWS Signature status and qualifies you for Signature Review.
Entry Fee: $45 NWS Members (click here for Promo/Coupon Code) / $70 Non Members
Exhibition Dates: October 1, 2023 – November 5, 2023
April 1- June 2, 2023 Entries accepted at www.callforentry.org
Friday, June 2, 2023 Entry deadline – 12:00 NOON, Pacific Time
June 26, 2023 List of accepted artists posted on NWS website
July 31, 2023 Deadline for shipped artwork to be received
Sat, Oct 14, 2023 Awards/Reception at NWS Gallery (by invitation)
JURORS OF SELECTION:
Juror: Thomas Wells Schaller https://www.ThomasWSchaller.com
Thomas Schaller is a multi-award-winning artist, architect, and author based in NYC. Thomas is in demand internationally as an instructor, juror and speaker. He is a winner of the Alpha Rho Chi Medal at OSU, a Graham Foundation Grant, and the Hugh Ferriss Memorial Prize. Thomas is the author of three books, signature member of many art organizations and Ambassador to numerous companies.
Juror: Ruth Armitage http://RuthArmitage.com
Ruth Armitage paints abstract and non-objective work inspired by people and places of personal significance. Educated as an English teacher, her work often begins with a title, which crystalizes her idea. Expressive color and line help weave a narrative that can be obvious or mysterious. Ruth's award-winning work has earned her signature membership in numerous watercolor societies and has been featured in national publications.
Juror: Jean Pederson https://www.JeanPederson.com
Jean Pederson is an author and has been painting for over 20 years, balancing her strong teaching abilities, and writing with her continuing aspiration to convey her ideas in visual form. Jean has artwork in the Royal Collection in Winsor England, been honored with numerous National and International awards, and exhibited internationally.
JUDGE OF AWARDS: Janine Gallizia https://www.JanineGallizia.com As a professional artist, Janine Gallizia has exhibited in solo, and group shows throughout the world for over 20 years. She is honored to have her paintings hung in private and public collections including those of Royal families, and entertainment and sporting elite. Janine has had the pleasure to work as an international curator and judge for over 15 years, and as the co-creator and Art Director of the Art of Watercolour magazine, with the aim of supporting and promoting the work of other watercolour artists. She believes all artists can continue to progress by focusing on the foundations of painting.
General Questions about the exhibition and entry contact
Judy Saltzman, NWS Director of Exhibitions at NWSExhibition@gmail.com
- Artists must be 18 years or older.
- Each artist may enter one (1) painting into the exhibition.
- Work must have been created after 1/1/2021.
- Work previously exhibited in any National or International Open Exhibition including NWS Member Exhibition is not eligible.
- Painting must be watermedia paintings on natural or synthetic paper, Yupo, Aquabord and Claybord must be framed. No stretched canvas or canvas board. Collage may be used but aqueous medium must constitute 80% or more of the work. All collage materials must be original designs executed on watermedia paper by the artist.
- Other media, if used, must be in conjunction with the water media, which must be dominant.
- Digital media, photography, prints, reproductions, diptychs or triptychs are not permitted.
- Source material must be original and not derived from published images. “Original” means the painting is the artist’s own idea, composition, and design, painted by hand (not computer generated), nor done in a class or workshop, nor repainted from another painting by the same artist from the exact same source image. Photo reference material must have been taken by you.
- 2D Artwork image size: Minimum size is 5" x 7"; Maximum size is 40" on the longest dimension.
- Original artwork must match the submitted digital image.
- All accepted artists are required to ship their paintings. Click here for Exhibitor's Shipping Documents.
SUBMISSION: Artwork can only be submitted online via CaFE. If you do not already have an account, click here to create your free account. (CaFE Specs / file type-jpeg or jpg / 1200 pixels or greater on longest side / max 5MB). Images must be cropped to exclude mat, frame and any background.
FEES, SALES AND LIABILITY:
- The Exhibition non-refundable entry fee is $45 for NWS active members and $70 for non-members. Promo Code on the NWS website in the Members Only Section. Click here for link. Overpayment of any fee will be considered a donation and will not be refunded (without exceptions). Payment is by paypal or credit card only.
- A Non-Member may join as an Associate Member by paying the $50 annual dues BEFORE entering. To join or pay dues before entering at https://nationalwatercolorsociety.org
- All work must be for sale and priced according to your standard pricing. Paintings that do not reflect the artist's current price structure may be disqualified. There are no price changes after acceptance. Your price should reflect the cost of frame. NWS is responsible for all sales and will retain a 30% commission. Also, NWS is due a 30% commission on “presold” paintings-those sold before the exhibition opens.
- Purchase Award recipients must ship framed artwork to the Donor (price accordingly / shipped within USA).
- Attention International Artists: NWS wants to make sure you receive all proceeds, including awards. NWS will provide all documents and tax forms necessary.
- NWS and its representatives will take the utmost care but are not responsible for misrepresentation.
- Monetary awards remaining unclaimed by 12/01/2023 will be forfeited.
** Click here for CAFÉ Tips – including how to find and enter Promo/Discount Code for Members Discount. The Code must be entered prior to checkout. Can not be submitted afterwards; no refunds. Need help; contact Exhibition Director before paying.
SIGNATURE STATUS INFORMATION:
Following the Jury of Selection’s viewing and selection of paintings from images submitted to the NWS 103rd International Open Exhibition, accepted Associates and Non-Members shall be invited to apply for Signature membership. There are two (2) methods in which to achieve Signature Status per the By-Laws of the NWS, Article III, Section 3.01 (A)(B).
NWS will host a special Zoom Session on Sunday, July 9th, 2023 at 8:00 AM (Pacific Time) to review the process to submit for NWS Signature Review.
- Associate and Non-members shall submit three (3) additional paintings, to be viewed by the members of the Jury of Selections; at a time to be set by the Board of Directors. The Jurors of Selection will make the decision regarding granting Signature Membership.
- Associates and Non-members shall submit a signed application for Signature Member status providing evidence that he or she has had three (3) paintings accepted and exhibited in the NWS International Open Exhibitions. Acceptance in the NWS Membership Exhibitions and any other NWS Exhibitions shall not be considered for such application.
ALL COMMUNICATIONS TO:
Judy Saltzman, NWS Exhibition Director at NWSExhibition@gmail.com
Artists are responsible for monitoring their emails and the NWS website for postings.
Artwork previously exhibited in any National or International Open Exhibition including NWS Member Exhibition is not eligible. Please thoroughly read the prospectus.
Refer to Artwork Requirements.