Images | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 4
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 4
The Denver Chalk Art Festival is an award-winning event that will transform the historical museum district into a colorful street museum. Over the course of two days 200 professional, amateur, and student artists captivate audiences as they take to the pavement armed with vivid soft pastels and spend hours drawing on their hands and knees. 175,000 festival attendees enjoy food and live music as they watch beautiful chalk pieces come to life. The event is produced by Denver Chalk Art and CherryArts, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting arts awareness and education in Denver.
Deadline to enter is April 9th, 2023
When: June 10-11th, 2023
Saturday, June 10th, Artists work day.
Sunday, June 11th, Artist work day.
Awards Ceremony at 5:00pm Sunday.
The chalk festival has two levels:
Master level (for artists age 18 and up).
Youth Challenge (for high school aged students). Please see our website to enter a student team. https://eventful.regfox.com/23dcaf-youth-challenge http://www.denverchalk.art
- NO artist (new or returning) will be considered without a sketch/image and brief description of their proposed chalk drawing. Artists must produce the artwork submitted or get written approval to change their image. Please submit one image of the art you wish to create and three images of your past art work in any medium.
- New this year. The award for reproduction of a master work is going to a new level. Artists who wish to have their chalk art piece considered for this award must recreate a work of art that is in one of Denver's many amazing museums. Thank you for helping us celebrate the wonderful works of art in this city.
- Artists that plan to reproduce another living artist's work MUST get written permission in the form of an email or letter.
- Artwork for the festival must be appropriate for public viewing. No words, symbols or logos intended as advertising may appear within the chalk drawing image.
- Artists are not allowed to sub-advertise their square/space in any way. Official sponsors and artists only.
- Chalk will be provided; however, if you are using a predominant color in your design you may want to purchase that color before the festival. Only non-oil-based soft chalk/pastels in a solid form may be used for the street painting. Acrylic paints, spray can pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. are not acceptable.
- Squares are 8'x8'. If your proposed artwork is not a square it must hit 8 feet in one direction.
- There will be a limited number of 8'x12' vertical spaces reserved for the 3-D challenge.
- Artists can apply to be considered for a mural team and create an image that is 8’x12’ horizontal. Mural teams require 2-3 artists.
- Chalk artists at the festival are not paid and there is no reimbursement for travel or lodging.
- Denver Chalk Art Festival provides one set of 24 soft pastels, water, and breakfast and lunch will be provided thought out the weekend. All artists are invited to attend our VIP party.
- Artists are required to work on their chalk drawings both Saturday and Sunday of the festival.
- Artists must be at least 18 years old.
- Deadline to enter is April 9th, 2023. We will let you know the jury results by April 22nd, 2023.
The event follows street painting traditions that originated in 16th century Renaissance Italy when artists began transforming pavement into canvas using chalk. The artists were called “madonnari,” after their customary practice of creating chalk paintings of the Madonna. Historically, madonnari were known for their life of travel and freedom, making their living from coins received from passers-by. With World War II came many hardships, greatly reducing the number of these artists. The art form was not officially brought back to life until 1972 when the small town of Grazie di Curtatone in Italy started the first international street painting competition. Today artists worldwide are taking to the streets, bringing with them new ideas, techniques, and excitement for this form of expression.
Question / info call:
Michael Rieger, Art Director 720-331-6402 Michael@LapisStudioDenver.com
Artists are required to submit four images:
One image of the art you wish to create and three images of your past art work in any medium.
The Denver Chalk Art Festival has two levels:
Master level (for artists age 18 and up).
Youth Challenge (for high school aged students). Please see our website to enter a student team. http://www.denverchalk.art