Entry Fee (Entry Fee for 2 entries): $28.00
Media Fee(Additional Entries): $5.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 10
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 2, Maximum:Max. 10
Event Dates: 4/29/23 - 5/31/23
Jury Dates: 4/16/23 - 4/16/23
It's that time of the year again! The 3rd Annual New Appalachia Exhibition seeks to capture the modern, contemporary, and innovative artistic experiences surrounding the Appalachia region and beyond. This year, the show will be curated by Jeffrey Smith, a benefactor of the arts in the Pittsburgh region for over 20 years, and owner of Jeffrey Smith Salon! In addition to curating, Jeffrey will be selecting an artist to exhibit a solo exhibition at his boutique arts-salon at a date TBD, with an opening reception and exposure to his clientele, including sales. The New Appalachia exhibit is Vestige Concept Gallery's annual spring contemporary showcase, bringing to life the latest and fresh perspectives of emerging talent for an audience of buyers, collectors, and the general public.
We are seeking artwork from any medium, including Student, Emerging, Mid-Career, and/or Professional Artists. Work should convey something "new" directionally, and may challenge viewers in their perspectives on the arts. Or, work could be a fresh take on a classic approach or a brand new work with a modern appeal that has yet to be revealed. This Exhibit is all about the latest in contemporary styles and mediums! Sculptural and 3D works are also welcomed to apply.
(Note that the theme of this show does not exclusively revolve around Appalachian themes or imagery. There are no location restrictions).
** Arrangements with Jeffrey Smith Salon will be conducted between selected artist and Jeffrey Smith at a date and duration later to be determined. VCG is removed from any obligations involved in these private arrangements, but will facilitate any required follow-through on the part of fulfilling the obligations stated in this Call For Artists. 3rd Annual New Appalachia is not a solo show opportunity, and is separate from any show at a later date w/ regards to the guest curator. Please do not contact Jeffrey Smith with any requests, inquires, or unsolicited materials.
The 3rd Annual New Appalachia Exhibition In-Person Opening Reception will be held Saturday, April 19th. A music performance event is also planned for May 13th. The show runs through Memorial Day.
About the Gallery:
Vestige Concept Gallery specializes in curated monthly mixed exhibition opportunities that appeal to a diverse range of artists, audiences, and buyers. Located in Lawrenceville, the new cultural heart of Pittsburgh, PA, the Gallery seeks to showcase the best of emerging and professional artist talent from across North America, and sell work at affordable prices through promotions and in-person events.
- "3rd Annual New Appalachia Exhibition" is open to any artists over age 18, within the United States and Canada.
- Work should ideally have been created in the last three years, and must be the original artwork, ready to display.
- The specific work must not have been previously displayed in a Vestige Concept Gallery exhibit.
- Work must be for sale. (No "NFS" or deliberate overpricing)
- No Giclees or reproductions of original works will be accepted unless the work itself is a Giclee or digital print. Aside from monoprints, any print works must have an edition number (Please note this in the media tag or signature, if applicable- e.g. 1 of 1; 1 of 5, etc.)
- Applicants may submit up to ten (10) entries. Two (2) entries are included in the $28 application.
- An additional charge of $5 per entry is charged for any additional submissions over 2.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE is Saturday, April 15th, at Midnight (MST)
- Artists will be notified of acceptance on or before Sunday, April 16th at Midnight
- Shipped works of art must arrive no later than Thursday, April 27th
- Please note: we adhere to tight turnaround times (2 weeks) between acceptance and Opening Reception. Yes- local drop offs are ok, but not the day of the show and no drop offs if you live more than 1 state (or 8 hours) away from Pittsburgh with the exception of installs.
CONDITIONS OF ACCEPTANCE
- Artists accepted into the show must reply email confirmation upon acceptance, and later, be willing to provide an artist pic, short bio, and web/social links (if applicable). These items are necessary for various promotions but do remain optional. By submitting this information, you provide Gallery all rights to post the work on their gallery website and on social media, unless otherwise discussed.
- Accepted artwork must be the actual artwork as seen in the submitted images. No substitutions. Gallery reserves the right to pull any artwork that differs from the images in the accepted submission. Any Giclées will automatically be pulled from the show unless it was initially stated that the work itself is a Giclée or digital print.
- Accepted artwork listed for sale must be for the price listed in the submission. No last-minute price changes.
- Vestige Concept Gallery will retain a 30% commission for any artwork sold--please factor this into your pricing and update your Cafe pricing accordingly.
- Artists are responsible for shipping & optional shipping insurance to and from Vestige Concept Gallery. A return-service (RS) shipping label must be included. Fedex or UPS only. More instructions on shipping will follow during acceptance.
- Shipped work must be sent in reusable, sturdy boxes and marked with your name. No loose peanuts. Artwork framed with glass is the responsibility of the artist. Artwork with glass that arrives in broken condition may be pulled from the event if artist is unable to remedy the issue.
- Late or damaged work will not be exhibited.
- Art damaged in transit is solely the responsibility of the artist and shipper. Artwork may also be hand-delivered, if within range.
- Wall pieces MUST be securely wired, framed, and properly prepared for display. Painted edges and/or a clean edge (i.e. the edges were masked off prior to painting), are acceptable for paintings. Sawtooth is ok for photography and small work only, that weighs less than 5 pounds.
- 2D Work must not exceed 30lbs, including frame. 3D artists of a non-traditional nature may wish to inquire with the gallery first before submitting. "Traditional" means works such as (but not limited to) ceramics and sculptures that fit onto a pedestal. Traditional 3D generally should not require any inquiry. (note: "yes" on an emailed 3D question does not indicate acceptance into the show)
- ORNATE AND/OR BARN STYLE FRAMES are subject to review upon arrival, and if deemed overwhelming, distracting, or egregious in size, may be removed from the show at the gallery discretion. Ornate, barn wood, and very old, historical looking frames should be avoided. If your work is already framed and you are unsure, please contact the gallery and include a picture (note: "yes" on an emailed framing question does not indicate acceptance into the show).
- Artists who "size jump" (i.e. photography printed at larger sizes than initially stated, or adding super wide matting that increases the frame size), may be removed from the show at gallery discretion. Any concerns about final presentation on said items, please check with the gallery first.
- From time to time in certain exhibits, the gallery may feature 1-2 artists and include their name in the subtitle of the show, below the main exhibit title.
APR 15: Application deadline
APR 16-17: Acceptance notification
APR 27: Deadline for shipped or dropped-off work
APR 29: Opening Reception
APR/MAY: normal business hours
After Memorial Day Weekend-- Show closes and any unsold artwork is packaged and shipped back
Any questions please reach out to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in applying!
Minimum 2 work samples, Artist Bio and Statement
18+, US and Canada