Images | Minimum:Min. 6, Maximum:Max. 10
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 6, Maximum:Max. 13
The public art installation at the Taft Street Garage should reflect the rich history and culture of Lafayette and the spirit of the University of Louisiana. The installation should also focus on the city's rich musical traditions, which have attracted musicians from all over the world. The full southern 200 foot façade of the parking garage, which overlooks the Pride of Acadiana Marching Band’s practice field, will serve as the backdrop for the installation.
The installation should be designed to be visually appealing, instructive about the city's rich musical heritage, highlight the field’s use as a musical performance area for UL’s Pride of Acadiana Marching Band, and may also address functional considerations at the site such as the need for shade, seating, or light. Various media are welcome, including but not limited to murals, relief sculpture, printed media, light, kinetic elements, etc.
A complete application must include:
- Artist résumé demonstrating a minimum of five (5) years of professional visual art experience (NOT STUDENT WORK). If submitting as a team, a current résumé should be submitted for each team member (Compiled into one document). A biography will not be accepted in place of a résumé.
- Statement of interest describing:
1. Why you are interested in this project
2. Previous experience with public art
3. Your connection (if any) or interest in the University.
4. How you believe the art will enhance the chosen space
- References that include the names and current contact information for three (3) individuals with whom you have worked, collaborated, or who have commissioned your work in the past.
References will be contacted for artists invited to develop a proposal for the commission.
- Images (up to 10) of your original completed commissions, not proposals, which demonstrate your qualifications for the project. 3-D models, sketches, or drawings will not be accepted. You must include the title, medium, dimensions, project budget (price), year completed, location, and description. The value must be indicated in US dollars. Each artwork must contain only one image with only one view of the work.
- Up to 3 videos (optional) of work examples
This call for artists is open to professional artists 18 and over, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identification, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical ability.
Artist teams may apply and must designate one artist as the lead contact. Examples of work submitted must be original, recently completed artwork (within the last 10 years).