Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $10.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 3
Event Dates: 7/1/23 - 5/31/25
Jury Dates: 6/9/23 - 6/19/23
Budget: $1800 per accepted work
Art on the Avenue is the longest-running public art program in the region. Creative Alliance Manitou Springs (CRANE) will install 4 new outdoor artworks in 2023 as part of its Art on the Avenue program. These works will be on display for 2 years. The works will be included in CRANE’s free self-guided walking tour app (via Otocast) which includes commentary from artists themselves.
For the second year, we will offer cash prizes as outlined below.
- 6/7/2023 Submissions due
- 6/19/2023 Artists will be notified of selection status
- 7/1-8/31/2023 Installation of new works
Each artist will be provided a stipend of $1,800 for the two-year exhibition period. Each piece is also eligible to receive the following awards: Juror award ($1,000) and People’s Choice award ($1,000)
Two of the works, intended to be viewed at eye level, will be installed on concrete pedestals measuring 40” high and 2 feet square, in the Shoshone Spring in Downtown Manitou Springs, Colorado. The other two works will be installed on concrete pedestals at ground level -- the largest measures 38” x 56” and is also at Shoshone Spring Park. The final pedestal (circular) has a 35” diameter and is located at Seven Minute Park. Works should be able to withstand Colorado weather, including extreme sun, freezing temperatures, wind, moisture, and rapid fluctuations in temperature. Works should also be suitable for public view and resistant to vandalism.
Artwork will be chosen by at least a 5-member jury panel consisting of members of CRANE’s Public Art Committee. Consideration will be given to weather durability and structural integrity, in addition to visual appeal. The jury seeks to include a diverse range of media and perspectives. Incomplete or imprecise installation requirement information will count against eligibility.
- Artistic excellence and technical competence in the medium selected.
- Relevancy to the Manitou Springs community or environment in which it will be placed.
- Creation of a balanced inventory of art in public places to ensure a variety of style, design, media and cultural diversity throughout the community. Artwork incorporating color is encouraged.
- Suitability of the work of art to the site, including form, content, scale and materials.
- Evaluation of the proposed materials in regard to structural and surface integrity, protection against theft, vandalism, and weather.
- Safety and maintenance considerations.
- 1-3 Images
- $10 entry fee
- Narrative description of proposed work, including title, physical description, medium, dimensions, weight, and price for permanent acquisition.
- Installation requirements, including minimum pedestal or footprint size, equipment and supplies
Art on the Avenue is open to artists nationwide.