Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $30.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 5
Street and otherwise unposed and surprise photographs
This is an open call for entry for an exhibition in the Athenaeum Gallery October 19 through November 26, 2023. There will be a $750 dollar prize awarded to a judge’s determination of ‘best in show’ and a $500 prize awarded by popular vote for ‘people’s choice.’ This event is open to anyone living or working in the DC, Maryland and Virginia area.
The show will feature photographs that capture candid moments, revelatory interpretations, and brilliant reflections of the mundane — work commonly referred to as ‘street photography.’ In 1943 the New York Times referred to the street photography of Helen Levitt, as, “fleeting moments of surpassing lyricism, mystery and quiet drama.” Those qualities will be the hallmark of works selected for this show. We are looking for high aesthetic standards, as well as images that capture a moment, ask a question, or tell a story beyond what is pictured.
- Deadline for submissions: Tuesday, August 22, 2023
- Winners notified: Tuesday, September 12, 2023
- Works delivered to gallery: Sunday, October 15 between 4 and 6 or by prior arrangement
- Opening reception: Sunday, October 22, 4 – 6
- Pick up of unsold works: Sunday, November 26, between 4 and 6
All works selected for inclusion must be:
- Framed* or finished and wired for hanging with picture hooks
*The mass-produced frames available at Ikea, Michaels, etc. are fine – but the print must fit the frame properly.
Submitters must live or work in Washington, DC, Virginia or Maryland.