Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $35.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 4
State: New York
Event Dates: 10/28/23 - 1/7/24
Quilts=Art=Quilts is an international juried quilt exhibition at the Schweinfurth Art Center in Auburn, New York. The Art Center has been a longstanding proponent of quilts as a visual arts medium and has been presenting quilts in a gallery setting since 1981.
Jurors select quilts based on overall quality of design, visual impact and originality. Prizes are awarded, including $1,000 for Best of Show.
Applicants may submit 2 artworks for consideration. You may submit one full view image and one detail image of each work for a total of 4 images. Detail images are optional.
Full view images must be labeled with the title of the artwork.
Detail images MUST be labeled as follows: Title of artwork_detail.
Do not submit more than 2 artworks. Detail images that are not properly labeled, or applicants who submit more than 2 artworks will be disqualified.
The fee for non-members is $35. The entry fee for current members of the Schweinfurth Art Center is $30. To get the membership discount you must call the Art Center at 315-255-1553 for the promo code.
Chawne Kimber is a textile artist who mainly stitches quilts and embroidery that are shown in museums, galleries, and festivals all over the United States. Through cultivation of cotton in rural Alabama, some of her ancestors (unwillingly) participated in building the nation. Inspired by quilts made by these ancestors in the late 1800s, Chawne interprets traditional patchwork forms in an improvisational style and indulges in social justice confrontations in quilt form.
When not manipulating cotton, Chawne is a professor of mathematics and an academic dean at a small liberal arts university in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States.
Irene’s work has been exhibited throughout the United States and is included in private and museum collections. In 2019, she received the Emerging Artist Award at Quilt National, 2nd place finishes at QuiltCon2019 in the Improv category and in the 2-Color Challenge Category. Roderick was awarded the first place award in the Improv category at QuiltCon 2020. In 2021, she was awarded a Juror’s Choice Award at the Quilts=Art=Quilts Exhibition at the Schweinfurth Arts Center and the “In The Abstract” award in Visions Museum’s Quilt Visions 2021. You can also find her quilts depicted in many issues of Curated Quilts magazine.
Dates to Remember
Entry Deadline: August 1, 2023
Notification of Jury Results: August 31, 2023
Delivery of Quilts: October 2-7, 2023
Artist Reception & Awards: Saturday October 28, 2023 4pm-6:30pm
Exhibition: October 28, 2023-January 7, 2024
Return shipping of quilts: Beginning January 10, 2024
An emphasis is placed on overall quality of design, originality and visual impact. Preliminary acceptance will be granted on the basis of the digital image submission. Prizes will be awarded for excellence in design and workmanship in multiple categories, including $1,000 for Best in Show. Prizes are determined after the exhibit is installed.
Definitions & Conditions of Entry
- A quilt is a fabric sandwich comprised of at least two layers: a top, a back and usually a filling. These are held together with quilting or tying threads. Integration of non-fabric items is acceptable.
- Up to two entries of original work per person are permitted.
- Preliminary acceptance will be granted based on digital images. Final acceptance will be granted after receipt and examination of quilt.
- The jurors and staff of the Schweinfurth Art Center reserve the right to refuse any accepted entry for exhibition if it does not contain the same qualities as the submitted image.
- Quilts must measure a minimum of 900 square inches total (height x width=square inches). The vertical dimensions of any single piece may not exceed 108 inches.
- Quilts must have been completed in 2020, 2021, 2022 or 2023.
- Quilts must be in pristine condition and be show ready.
- Quilts with pre-programmed computerized machine quilting (that is not designed by the artist) are not eligible.
- Quilts made or derived from kits, workshops, classes or commercial patterns are not eligible.
- Quilts must have a continuous 3” wide sleeve attached to the back of the top of the quilt. Exceptions are made if appropriate means of hanging or display is provided.
- Quilts must be available from October 2, 2023- January 10, 2024.
- Quilts previously exhibited at the Schweinfurth Art Center are not eligible.
- Quilts that do not meet conditions of entry will not be accepted.
- The Art Center will retain a 25% commission on all sales made during the exhibition. An insurance value and a sale price, which includes commission (unless the quilt is not for sale), must be included in the application.
The entry fee for non-members is $35. The entry fee for Members of the Schweinfurth Art Center is $30. Entry fees must be paid online with a credit card at the time of entry. To receive your membership discount you must call the Art Center at 315-255-1553 for the promo code.
Notification of Acceptance
Notification of acceptance will be emailed August 31, 2023
All quilts must arrive at Schweinfurth Art Center between Monday, Oct. 2 and Saturday Oct. 7. Hand delivery will be accepted within the same time dates during regular hours: Monday – Saturday, 10 am – 5 pm. We cannot accept deliveries on Sunday. Failure to provide an accepted work will result in the artist’s being ineligible for future exhibitions.
Artists are responsible for packing, shipping and insurance of accepted work to and from the Art Center. Work must be shipped in a substantial, reusable container. All continental US based artists must provide return shipping forms for quilts that need to be returned to artists by the Art Center via mail. Alaska/Hawaii, other US territories, and international artists may ship their work one way, and the Art Center will invoice them for the return shipping.
Quilts may be picked up from Tuesday, January 9, through Friday, January 12, 2024, from 10am-5pm or by appointment. Shipped work will be returned by mail beginning Wednesday, January 10, 2024.
Quilts must have an insurance value indicated on the entry form. It must be defendable in the event of a claim. The Art Center reserves the right to require a certified appraisal for any quilt valued over $1,000.
The Art Center will insure objects while on site for the insurance value indicated on the entry form. The Artist is responsible for insurance during shipping both ways.
All images must be submitted through callforentry.org If you have trouble uploading your files- you must contact Call for Entry for support.
LIST OF ACCEPTABLE UPLOAD-READY FILE FORMATS
File Type: JPEG or JPG only.
File Dimensions: 1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side.
File Size: Under 5 MB.
Color Profile: sRGB
Artwork must be created within the last three years.