Images | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 5
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 5, Maximum:Max. 5
StreetSpark, a public art program in partnership with the Fitton Center for Creative Arts, the City of Hamilton and the Hamilton Community Foundation, was founded to further the creative identity in Hamilton, Ohio through exciting murals and public art projects. The program creates engagement by producing high quality art, providing opportunities for local artists and enhancing the visual appeal of the city. Since the summer of 2016, nineteen murals and seventeen utility boxes have been painted in a variety of styles. Each year, artists are invited to apply and the winning designs are chosen by a selection committee of art professionals and appreciators in our area.
StreetSpark is looking for an artist to design and paint a mural on a concrete levee wall along the Great Miami River. Designers should have experience in mural creation, team management and preferred experience in operating scissor/bucket lifts (training can be provided). Applications will involve a two-phase design process beginning with a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) that will expand to a Request for Proposals (RFP) at a later date for selected finalists. The StreetSpark Mural Program, in cooperation with the Miami Conservancy District and the City of Hamilton, will administer the project. They will manage wall preparation, equipment rental, supply purchases and hire a team of supporting artists to assist the lead artist.
|Call to Artists Released||August 25, 2023|
|RFQ Deadline (by 5pm)||September 29, 2023|
|Semi-Finalist artists notified for design creation||by October 20, 2023|
|Mural Designs Due (by 5pm)||November 10, 2023|
|Final Designs Selected; Artists Notified||by February 5, 2024|
|Mural Creation in Hamilton, Ohio||Summer 2024|
- The mural will be painted on a section of the levee wall located in Hamilton, Ohio along the Great Miami River and can be accessed via the Great Miami Recreational Trail. It is directly across from the Spooky Nook Sports Champion Mill, Warehouse Hotel at Champion Mill, and the Champion Mill Conference Center. Also nearby is the RiversEdge Amphitheater, the Great Miami Rowing Center and the High/Main bridge. Click on "View Site Details" for site image, dimensions and map.
- A stipend of $300 will be paid to three or four (3 or 4) selected semi-final artists to develop design proposals. (Stipends will be awarded after designs are received in November 2023.)
- In addition, a stipend of $700 will be paid to the final selected artist. (Stipend will be awarded after final design is approved/received.)
- The awarded designer will receive additional pay for mural creation during Summer 2024. Estimated time of forty (40) work days, stipend will be based on $25/hour rate.
- Cost of equipment, supplies, supporting artist pay and administrative services are separate and managed by the StreetSpark Program Manager.
- Five (5) high-quality JPEG or PNG images (No 3D artwork)
- Current Resume/CV
- One or Two (1 or 2) signed reference letters relevant to your mural or artistic work experience. Letters should be on official letterhead/logo paper with the author’s contact information included.
- The StreetSpark Selection Committee will review RFQ applicants and select several semi-final artists for artwork proposal development. Selected artists will submit a final design using instructions/forms provided by StreetSpark.
- After reviewing semi-finalists' designs, the Selection Committee will select one (1) artist to create the mural for the river levee site.
- The selected artist will contract directly with StreetSpark/Fitton Center for Creative Arts who will oversee all aspects of the artwork from concept design development to final artwork installation.
- Final artist will receive separate payment for mural installation.
The following criteria will be used to score RFQ applicants:
- QUALITY OF ARTWORK (high quality, professional photographs of the artist’s work)
- ART & DESIGN EXPERIENCE (experience in art field, relevant training/education, etc. demonstrated through artist’s CV/resume)
- REFERENCE LETTER (1-2 letters that describe the artist’s ability to work professionally and collaboratively on creative projects)
- Applications must be submitted through this online form. Physical artwork and/or paperwork will not be accepted.
- StreetSpark reserves the right to not award the commission to any artist and to cancel or re-issue the call at any time.
- Artists and designers must be 18 or older to apply.
- Artists of all backgrounds are encouraged to participate in the RFQ process.
- We strongly encourage local artists to apply but artists may be from any geographic location. Any related travel and/or lodging expenses must be covered by the artist.
- Artists should have experience in mural creation and team management.
- Artists will be required to operate a scissor lift and bucket lift. Experience is preferred but training can be provided.