Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 1
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 1
State: New Mexico
Budget: One Time Stipend - $500
Las Cruces Public Art Mission Statement
Las Cruces Public Art (LCPA) commissions and cares for a collection of contemporary public artworks, promotes the community’s access to and engagement with public art, and supports the growth of public art practice in Las Cruces.
"Art Stop" is intended to make art accessible to the community using city bus shelters as exhibit space. Regional artists living in Southwestern New Mexico, particularly Las Cruces and Dona Ana County, will have an opportunity to exhibit their submitted artwork at one bus stop location for a full year if selected. "Art Stop" is a pilot program presented by the City Art Board and LCPA.
The "Art Stop" selection committee will select six original artworks, submitted in a digital format, that can be printed and placed on pre-selected bus shelters in each of the six City Council districts. Selected artwork will be printed in large scale poster format to fit the frame in the bus shelter which measures 6 ft. 2 in. x 3 ft. Each shelter will feature one of the selected artworks. The artwork will be displayed for 12 months. If the pilot program is successful, new artwork selections will be exhibited on an annual basis.
Artwork can be previous work or new work, digital or traditional. It must be completed artwork, not concept work.
Each selected artist will receive a $500 stipend.
The Las Cruces Public Art program strives to achieve the programs goals of diversity, equity, inclusion, and access in particular for artists of color, and to showcase contemporary and traditional arts in new ways.
- Must be original artwork. Artwork can be previous work or new work, digital or traditional (photographed in hi-res printable format).
- Must be completed artwork, no concept work will be accepted.
- Artwork can be one image or a collage of images.
- Format of artwork: high-resolution photo or pdf, portrait orientation (36” x 74”), at least 300 DPI with bleed. Print size is 6' 2" x 3'.
- No mass produced work and signage will be accepted.
- Submit a short bio/artist statement and contact information.
- The artwork must be appropriate for public display: Artwork that includes the apparent representation of violence, nudity, denigration of individuals and cultures, or desecration of significant cultural symbols, will be reviewed for their appropriateness to be displayed. Artwork that includes religious subject matter or symbols may be placed in a public space as long as it is not in a location where it can be revered or used in religious service and is solely for the purpose of exhibiting cultural or historical traditions.
- Limited to one submission per artist.
Eligibility for participation is open to all artists living in Las Cruces, Dona Ana County, or surrounding area in Southwest New Mexico.
Must be 18 years or older to participate.
No member of the current City Art Board, art selection committee, or employee of the City of Las Cruces, New Mexico, may apply for this project.
Please contact us if you have any questions about eligibility.