Days remaining to deadline: 18
Entry Fee (Northern National Art Competition): $35.00
Images | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 1, Maximum:Max. 2
The 37th Northern National Art Competition will be held in Rhinelander, Wisconsin, from June 13 - July 27, 2024, at the Nicolet College Art Gallery. Began in 1987, this show is a cooperative venture between Nicolet College Arts & Enrichment and the Northern Arts Council (NAC). The Northern National Art Competition strives to showcase a cross section of contemporary art in a variety of two-dimensional mediums. Each year, hundreds of artists nationwide submit work to be considered for inclusion in this exhibition, and the art is always both visually exciting and intellectually stimulating.
More than $8,500 in prize money will be awarded, including three $1,000 Awards of Excellence. Awards are based upon the actual artwork.
- This renowned national juried competition is open to all US resident artists 18 years or older.
- Each artist may submit images of recent, original, artwork in any medium, including photography, fiber, and mixed media.
- All artwork MUST be 2D and hangable.
- There is no theme.
- The $35 entry fee entitles the artist to submit one or two pieces for consideration. (one image per artwork). Images must accurately represent the work entered.
- Must be original work; no reproductions of artwork will be accepted.
- Artists selected as finalists will have their work exhibited (and available for purchase if desired) at the Nicolet College Art Gallery until Friday, July 26.
- Entries may be hand delivered on Thursday, May 23 9am-2pm or by appointment.
- Shipped work must arrive at the Nicolet College Art Gallery by Friday, May 24. Must include pre-paid return shipping label. Additional shipping details will be sent with your acceptance notice.
- Selected art must remain for the entire exhibition and awards will be distributed after the close of the show. All proceeds of sales are assigned to the artist.
- All artists are responsible for ensuring their subject matter does not include any copyright infringements. The artist waives Nicolet College and NAC of all legal responsibilities if an artist is challenged by another party for copyright infringement.
- By entering work in this exhibition, the artist gives Nicolet College and NAC the right to use images for digital and print promotional purposes.
Artists, their friends, and families are encouraged to join us at our opening reception on Thursday, June 13. The opening reception is a remarkable evening in celebration of the artists whose work has been chosen for the exhibition. The public is also able to purchase tickets to this event, which includes hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. Attendees get the first peek at one of the premiere art shows in Northern Wisconsin and then join this year's judge as she shares her remarks on the curation of this prestigious national show. The intimate judge’s talk proves as wonderful as the art itself and leaves you with a deeper appreciation of the show.
The Northern National Art Competition prides itself on providing an accomplished judge and this year is no exception. The exhibit becomes a reflection of the lens with which the judge has placed their mark.
The judge for the 37th Northern National Art Competition is Debra Brehmer, who has spent her life in the art world. She possesses an MFA in art history and has curated numerous exhibitions and written about art for various publications for over 20 years. She regularly writes for the New York-based art publication Hyperallergic and is also the founder, publisher, and editor of Art Muscle Magazine. Prior to opening her own gallery, taught art history as an adjunct professor for 10 years at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design. As the current owner and operator of a contemporary art gallery in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward – Portrait Society Gallery - her fresh vision and current perspective of the Midwest art scene will undoubtedly shed new light on this historic show.
Tickets for the opening reception on 6/13 will be available closer to the date. Exhibiting artists receive one complimentary ticket to the reception. ($20 value)
- Monday, January 8: Registration opens
- Friday, March 15: Registration deadline
- Tuesday, April 23: Acceptance notification
- Thursday, May 23: Hand delivery 9am-2pm or by appointment
- Friday, May 24: All shipped work due
- Thursday, June 13: Opening Reception and Awards Announced
- Friday, July 26: Show closes
- Monday, July 29: Pick up hand delivered work 9am-2pm or by appointment
- Tuesday, July 30: Repacking, Shipped work will be returned this week
Open to all artists 18 years and older who are US residents.
Each artist may submit images of recent, original, 2D hangable artwork in any medium including photography, fiber, and mixed media. There is no theme. Images must accurately represent the work entered. The Gallery reserves the right to delete from the exhibition any work that does not conform to the entry specifications or that involves possible copyright infringement.