Watercolor Art Society - Houston
1601 W. Alabama at Mandell
Houston, TX 77006
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 1/20/17
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
ARTISTS - PLEASE REVIEW THE PROSPECTUS GUIDELINES CAREFULLY BEFORE ENTERING YOUR ARTWORK. ESPECIALLY THE ARTWORK ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFYING MEDIA SECTIONS!
- Juror: Stephen Quiller, AWS, NWS
- Entry Submission Dates: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 through Friday, January 20, 2017
- Entry Fee: $35 for one, $50 for two and $60 for three
- Over $6,000 in prizes — First Prize is $2,000
- Exhibition Dates: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - Thursday, April 6, 2017
2017 International Exhibition Awards
In addition to the prestige of participating in this wonderful Exhibition, significant awards presented by the Watercolor Art Society of Houston will total in excess of $6,000. No artist may receive more than one award.
- First-place: $2000
- Second-place: $1200
- Third-place: $900
- Board of Directors’ Award: amount to be announced
- Jack Bowen Award: $500
- Lloyd Albers Memorial Award (one each year 2015-2019): $500
Additional cash and merchandise awards will be announced and presented at the Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony.
The Juror: Stephen Quiller, AWS, NWS
Stephen Quiller is an internationally known painter and Signature member of the American Watercolor Society, National Watercolor Society, Rocky Mountain National Water Media, and Society for Painters in Acrylic and Casein, among others. His impressive bio is included in Who’s Who in American Art. His research and development of a color wheel for painters - called the “Quiller Wheel” is now used by thousands of painters throughout the world. He has published nearly two dozen books and instructional CD’s highlighting his innovative use of color and approach to water media painting: watercolor, gouache, acrylic, casein and their combinations.
2017 International Exhibition Calendar
Tuesday, September 20, 2016: Entry submission begins on CaFE
Friday, January 20, 2017: Deadline for entry submission is 11:59 pm Mountain Standard Time
January 21-31, 2017: Juror review of entries
Wednesday, February 1, 2017: Notification of acceptance
Thursday, March 9, 2017: Accepted entries must be received at the WAS-H gallery by 3 pm
Saturday, March 11, 2017: Judging of entries
March 11 - 17, 2017: Notification of Awards
Sunday, March 12, 2017: Stephen Quiller demo / Opening reception and awards ceremony
Tuesday, March 14, 2017: Opening of Exhibition to the public
Thursday, April, 6, 2017: Last day to view Exhibition
Friday, April 7, 2017: Exhibition is closed and paintings are returned to artists; no artwork can be shipped or picked up from the gallery prior to 10 am Friday April 7, 2017.
* Unless otherwise noted, all times shown are Central Standard Time (GMT -6)
The 40th Annual International Exhibition 2017 is open to all artists who are 18 years or older. Work must be:
- Original (not derived from another’s intellectual property or copyrighted references).
- Painted within TWO YEARS OF ENTRY DATE.
- Not previously displayed in a WAS-H Annual Members Exhibit or WAS-H International Exhibition.
- NOT completed in a workshop or under supervision.
- No digital media, photography, prints or reproductions may be used in the painting.
- Each piece of artwork entered must have a Title: “Un-named” or “Un-titled” is not acceptable.
- All work must be for sale, not for sale pricing will not be accepted.
- ALL ARTWORK, WHETHER ON PAPER, YUPO OR CLAYBOARD, MUST BE FRAMED under Plexiglas (NO GLASS).
- THE ONLY EXCEPTIONS TO FRAMING THAT WILL BE ACCEPTED:
- Artwork on CLAYBOARD MOUNTED ON WOODEN CRADLE PANELS does not require framing but should be finished with a protective coating and wired for hanging.
- Framed artwork on flat CLAYBOARD panels FINISHED WITH A PROTECTIVE COATING does not require Plexiglas.
- If used, MATS, LINERS, AND ANY ADDITIONAL FILBERT OR MAT CORE MUST BE WHITE. No color, shades of white or tones will be accepted as mats or liners
- FRAMES MUST BE SIMPLE WOOD OR METAL FRAMES WITHOUT DESIGNS, BEADING OR CARVINGS.
- FRAMES CAN NOT EXCEED 2" IN WIDTH.
- All entries must be wired and ready for hanging. No sawtooth hangers permitted.
- MINIMUM IMAGE SIZE: 10" width or height. When uploading images to your portfolio and submitting them to the call, use the image size dimensions, not the frame dimensions.
- MAXIMUM FRAME SIZE: 48" in width or height.
- Artists must consider the content of the works submitted. WAS-H reserves the rights to refuse any entries that are deemed inappropriate for a family venue.
All submitted artwork must be at least 80% water media on paper, clayboard, or yupo. Works on canvas will not be accepted. No collage, pastels, class work, digital images, or any form of print or reproductions may be used.
Entry Submission Fees
- Entry Fees are paid via credit card at the time of submission.
- The non-refundable entry fee is $35 for one entry, $50 for two, and $60 for three (use the coupon code that will be made available for artists entering three paintings).
- Additional handling fees of $50 for shipped or $25 for hand delivered art will be due from accepted artists. Detailed instructions for shipping and delivery will be provided in the Acceptance Notification and Guidelines.
- All artists entering the exhibition will receive a complimentary copy of the exhibition’s catalog.
- When uploading images to your portfolio and submitting them to the call, use the image size dimensions, not the frame dimensions.
- Submitting a work of art to this exhibition shall constitute an agreement on the part of the artist to comply fully with the conditions and terms set forth in this Prospectus as well as in the Acceptance Notification and Guidelines.
Once an entry is received you will receive a confirmation email that your entry has been successfully processed. Check your entries on the CaFE website to make sure your submission is complete and has been received. After your entry has been submitted and confirmed, the art registration information cannot be revised or changed. This includes the Price, Title of the Entry and Entry Size.
NO ENTRIES CAN BE RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE OF FRIDAY JANUARY 20, 2017, 11:59pm Mountain Standard Time (MST).
- All artists whose work is selected for exhibition will receive instructions for shipping and delivery in the Acceptance Notification and Guidelines.
- Artist’s work accepted by the Juror will be displayed in the WAS-H Gallery for the 2017 International Exhibition.
- Only one painting will be accepted from an individual artist.
- No substitutions of artwork can be made after acceptance.
- Once submitted/accepted, no changes can be made to price, title or dimensions.
- WAS-H reserves the right to reject any painting that, upon arrival at the Gallery, the juror deems is significantly altered or different than the digital photo used for gaining entry to the Exhibition. Artists may want to use professional photographers for images of work.
- WAS-H reserves the right to return paintings deemed unacceptable or in breach of the rules in presentation of framing and/or mats.
Declining to Submit Artwork
Not sending accepted paintings to the Exhibition will subject the artist to a two year penalty during which time the artist will not be allowed to participate in the WAS-H International Exhibition program.
Accepted paintings will be exhibited to the public at the WAS-H Gallery beginning March 14, 2017 and extending through April 6, 2017.
WAS-H acts in the artists’ best interests to promote the sale of exhibition artwork. Copies of artist’s statements and bios will be made available in the gallery for review by our visitors as well as WAS-H members and teachers who frequent the gallery. If you are accepted, WAS-H will request your bio and/or artist statement to be submitted prior to the opening of the exhibition.
All artists entering the exhibition are cordially invited to attend the reception honoring the 40th International Exhibition Award Winners and the Juror. The reception will be held at the WAS-H Gallery on Sunday, March 12th, 2017 from 4:00 – 6:00 PM. You and your guests are welcome to participate in the reception and awards ceremony. Additional gallery events will be announced.