111 Union Square St. SE Suite 200
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Public Art
State: New Mexico
Entry Deadline: 8/4/17
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 10
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 10
The Bernalillo County Arts Board and Bernalillo County Animal Care Services Department solicit artists or artists’ teams to submit conceptual sketch designs for a sculpture for the entrance of the new Animal Care Facility. The facility will be 17,000 square feet and house over 100 dogs, 20 cats and livestock. For more information about the facility visit: http://web.bernco.sks.com/public-works/current-past-projects.aspx?1fc7eb62479a4a568e871b92638de153blogPostId=4344d9f701414df6be1e4142e1e28fee#/BlogContent
The site for the sculpture is the Animal Care Facility on 2nd Street at Woodward, near Rio Bravo Blvd. in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The location for the sculpture will be the 24’ diameter landscape circle at the entrance of the building. (See attached photos.)
The intent of this sculpture is to enhance the entrance of the facility and create a welcoming environment for customers. The work could address the happy relationship between animals and people, or adoption of animals, or of children with animals.
The committee seeks artists or artist teams who are proficient in medium scale sculpture and can evoke an inviting space with their designs. The size of the artwork should be proportionate to the scale of the landscape circle and compliment the architecture. Public safety is a concern. The artwork should not pose a threat of injury of any persons or animals who may come in contact with the piece.
$60,000 available to commission a work of art from 1% for the Arts, from voter approved general obligation bonds for the Animal Care Facility.
The call is open for 60 days. Eligible artist or artist teams must reside in the Eligibility:
This call open is to artists living in New Mexico. Limit one proposal per artist or design teams. No prior experience in Public Art is required to submit to this call.
To be considered, artists must submit the following items:
1) An artist's statement, not to exceed 1,000 words,
2) A letter of intent, not to exceed 1,000 words, which includes a description of your ideas and the themes that will be addressed in your design, and proposed technique for application of designs.
3) Up to 3 (three) preliminary design sketches which represents your idea for the project. Proposals which do not include preliminary design sketches will not be considered.
4) Up to 7 (seven) digital images of past work.
5) An annotated image key, clearly labeled with your full name and a numerical listing for each image, the title of the work, the media, dimensions, and year of completion.