Visual Art League of Lewisville
Medical City of Lewisville Grand Theater
100 North Charles St.
Lewisville TX 75057
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 6/30/17
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Entry Fee (VAL Member- Fresh Ideas 2016): $35.00
The Visual Art League of Lewisville (“VAL”) Texas is pleased to announce a call for entries for the Fresh Ideas 2017 juried show to be held at the Medical City of Lewisville Grand Theater art gallery in Lewisville, Texas from August 5th through September 9th, 2017.
Fresh Ideas 2017 is the latest version of VAL’s prestigious juried exhibitions of new art works that represent current trends in modern art. Shown in the beautiful 2,000 sq ft Medical City of Lewisville Grand Theater art gallery (see http://www.mclgrand.com and http://visualartleague.org/about), Fresh Ideas includes regional artists who bring exceptional vitality to the Visual Art League’s exhibition series.
The exhibition is open to all visual artists who reside in Texas and contiguous states (Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico). The non-refundable entry fee is $50 for non-members of VAL and $35 for VAL members for a maximum of three (3) pieces of work. Membership forms to join VAL can be found at
Only original 2D and 3D art work (oil, watercolors, acrylics, pastel, mixed media, collage, drawing, prints, photography, ceramics, textiles, fiber, encaustic, jewelry and sculpture) created in the last two (2) years which has not previously been shown in any VAL juried exhibit will be considered for inclusion in the show. Original means works conceived and created by the artist and not created in a classroom setting. The maximum size of entries into this year’s competition is 50” x 50” including the frame. All 3D artwork must be able to sit on a pedestal no larger than 20” x 14”” or on the floor. Artists may submit up to three (3) pieces for consideration. Submissions of entries into the show will be via callforentry.ort(https://www.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=4341) and must meet the requirements of that site for size and type of image that is accepted.
• 1st Place Winner will receive a cash prize of $1,000 and a solo show in summer 2018 at the MCL Grand art gallery in Lewisville.
• 2nd Place $500
• 3rd Place $250
• Two Honorable Mentions $150 each
• People’s Choice Award $100
- DEADLINE: Friday, June 30th, 2017, 1:00 AM Central Daylight Time (all subsequent times here are CDT). Entries due at https://www.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=xxxx
- Monday, July 3 – Friday, July 21st. Judging
· Saturday, July 22nd. Artists notified of acceptance into the exhibition
· Saturday, July 29th: Accepted entries due at MCL Grand (shipping/mailing address: Visual Art League, Medical City of Lewisville Theater, 100 North Charles St., Lewisville TX 75057, classroom 2) between 1:00 – 5:00 pm
· Saturday, August 5th: Opening Reception 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Award Ceremony 8:00 pm, MCL Grand art gallery
· Saturday, September 9th: Final day of Exhibit
· Saturday, September 9th 5:00 – 6:00 pm and Monday September 11th 1:00 to 3:00, Pick up entries
· Week of September 11th, 2016 – Return of shipped artwork
Christopher Blay is an Instructional Associate and Curator at Tarrant County College Southeast. He earned a BFA in 2003 from Texas Christian University in studio art with an emphasis on photography. Mr. Blay has worked as a teaching at the Nasher Sculptural Center, and exhibited at Centraltrak in Dallas, the South Dallas Cultural Center, 500 X Gallery in Dallas, and several other galleries in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. He is currently a Teaching Artist at the Rachovsky Warehouse in Dallas, has extensive publishing and judging experience and is also currently in the Dallas Museum of Art Visiting artist program. Additional information about him can be found at http://blayblogger.blogspot.com.
- Works that are accepted into the exhibition must be delivered to the MCL Grand, classroom 2, on the date and time specified in the Calendar above. It is the responsibility of the artist to arrange for packing and shipping their works to arrive by the deadline if the artist isn’t delivering the piece in person. Any work not available by the deadline of 5:00 PM on Saturday July 29th will not be in the show. If the artist ships a work, he/she should be aware that shipments are not accepted at the MCL Grand after 5:00 PM on weekdays and not at all on weekends
- SHIPPING (READ CAREFULLY) Absolutely no packing peanuts may be in shipped containers. Crates, boxes, even small packages containing packing peanuts will be resealed & immediately shipped back to you, no exceptions. Artists are responsible for round-trip shipping & insurance (during shipping) of artworks. All shipments must include a prepaid UPS OR FEDEX return label & be shipped in a container suitable to re-use for return shipping. Works sent through the US Postal Service must include a shipping label-USPS stamps will not be accepted
- We request for the juror's convenience that on the callforentry.org application, after the TITLE of your work on your application, you state the medium you are submitting, such as "STILL LIFE - DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY" or "STILL LIFE - CHARCOAL DRAWING ON PAPER". Because of the range of materials that are allowed, this information will inform the Juror when viewing each of the submitted images
- Works submitted for inclusion in exhibits must be framed and ready for secure installation if those works are intended to be hung on walls
- All 3D artwork must be able to sit on a pedestal no larger than 20” X 14” or on the floor
- Framed pieces must be equipped with d-rings attached to the back and stretched with wire that has wire ends taped to prevent injury to the hanging committee. Sawtooth hangers or uniframes are not acceptable
- Wires, when stretched to hang the picture, should not come closer than two inches from the top of the frame. This prevents the hanger from showing when the picture is hung
- Because of the increased risk of injury from broken glass in very large pieces, Plexiglas or similar material must be used in lieu of frame glass for any piece larger than 600 sq in
- 2D pieces may not be larger than 50″ in either dimension, including the frame if any
- Diptychs, triptychs, or other multiple piece works constitute one piece and must be no wider than 50” when hung together
- Pieces that are hung may not be over 50 lbs in weight
- If pieces, including sculpture, are very fragile or very heavy, the artist will be expected to assist with their installation
- Pieces that are hung should have clean, gallery-wrapped canvas edges or be framed. There is no depth restriction on gallery-wrapped canvas edges as long as the pieces can be hung safely
- This is a juried show. The juror has the right to reject any submitted work during the jury process
- All accepted works must remain on exhibit for the duration of Fresh Ideas 2017.
VAL’s web site is http://visualartleague.org and the organization’s email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Email is the preferred form of communication with VAL. The phone number of the exhibition’s curator is 214-293-1234.