Please make check or money order payable to Clatsop Community College.
Mail to: Au Naturel International Juried Exhibition c/o Kristin Shauck, Royal Nebeker Art Gallery, Clatsop Community College, 1651 Lexington Avenue, Astoria, OR 97103
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Competitions
Entry Deadline: 11/10/17
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 15
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 15
Clatsop Community College presents our twelfth annual international juried exhibition, Au Naturel: the Nude in the 21st Century, to be held January 25 - March 15, 2018 in the Royal Nebeker Art Gallery.
• Submission deadline: entries must be received by Midnight (11:59:59 pm) Mountain Time, Tuesday, November 7th, 2017. (NOTE: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH) (Please note: Online CaFÉ™ Tech support is available weekdays M-F 9 a.m. -5 p.m. MT)
• Notification of acceptance or non-acceptance will be e-mailed by Thursday, November 30, 2017.
• Accepted work to arrive at the Royal Nebeker Art Gallery no later than Friday, January 11, 2018.
• Exhibition dates: January 25 - March 15, 2018.
• Artist Reception: Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. with a special pre-opening gathering for the artists at 5:00 p.m.
• Pick-up date for hand-delivered work: Friday, March 16, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Shipped work will be returned ASAP with return label provided by the artist.
Eligibility: Au Naturel is an international juried competition open to all artists working in any two-dimensional drawing, painting, and printmaking media with a focus on the nude human figure as subject matter in any form ranging from representational to abstract, and in which the handmade mark is employed as the primary means of image-making. Due to the special focus of this exhibit, photography is not eligible. Entrants must be 18 years or older. Artwork created under the supervision of an instructor is not eligible. Submitted artwork must have been executed in the last five years and must be available for the duration of the exhibit. Any artwork reproduced by photomechanical processes (including giclée prints) will not be accepted. Please visit www.aunaturelart.com to view artwork of previous Au Naturel exhibitions and for further information about the exhibit.
Juror: We are pleased to announce that the juror for the 2018 exhibit is Arvie Smith, who was born in the Jim Crow South where he lived with his grandparents and great grandmother, a former slave. As a teen he moved to live in the de facto segregated areas of South Central Los Angeles and Watts. These early years laid the groundwork for his life’s work as a spokesperson for injustices toward people of color, an advocate for social justice for all oppressed people, and a painter. Smith’s work has been shown in New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, and Florence, Italy. His paintings are in collections of the Portland Art Museum, The Reginald Lewis Museum of African American Art and Culture, Petrucci Family Foundation, Charlayne Hunter-Gualt, Nelson Mandela Estate, Myrlie Evers-Williams, Jordan Schnitzer, Oregon State University, Portland Community College and the City of Portland. He has traveled and studied extensively in West Africa and Europe. Smith is Professor Emeritus of Painting at Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland, Oregon where he taught from 1984 to 2014. Prior teaching included Maryland Institute College of Art, University of Oregon and Oregon College of Art and Crafts, Smith studied printmaking at Il Bisonte and painting at SACI in Florence, Italy and received his BFA at PNCA and his MFA from Hoffberger School of Painting, Maryland Institute College of Art, where he was teaching assistant to Grace Hartigan. Recent exhibitions of Smith’s work include a solo show at the Portland Art Museum Northwest Gallery from July 2016 to March 2017, and “Constructing Identity: Petrucci Family Foundation Collection of African American Art” from January - June 2017, also at the Portland Art Museum. He recently completed a commission through RACC to create a design for a 18’ x 24’ mural to be installed on the corner of NE MLK and Alberta in September of this year. Arvie Smith was born in 1938 and currently resides in Portland, Oregon where he is a full time artist.
International Juried Exhibition • January 25 - March 15, 2018
• $1000 in cash prizes
• Up to $2000 in purchase awards
• One artist will be chosen to be featured in a solo show for the following exhibition season
• A select number of Visiting Artist Workshop awards will also be granted
NOTE: Applications are being handled online through CaFÉ™ (Call for Entry): http://www.callforentry.org/
Applications must be received on CaFÉ™ by Midnight (11:59:59 pm) Mountain Time, November 7, 2017.
(NOTE: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH)
There is no additional fee to use the CaFÉ™ online application system. To enter, visit
http://www.callforentry.org, register a username and password, navigate to Apply to Calls, and search the list for Au Naturel: The Nude in the 21st Century. For detailed instructions on using the site, click on CaFÉ Help (https://www.callforentry.org/cafehelp.phtml). If this page does not address your needs, please contact CaFÉ at firstname.lastname@example.org Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 5 pm Mountain Time or e-mail email@example.com or call 503-338-2472.
SIZE/WEIGHT LIMITATIONS: Maximum dimensions: 6 feet x 10 feet and must not weigh more than 50 lbs. uncrated. All accepted artwork must be framed or otherwise professionally presented with wires or hanging devices (no saw-tooth hangers).
REPRODUCTION OF IMAGES: Entering this competition indicates agreement that images may be used for publicity. Upon acceptance, all artists must submit a high resolution image of each accepted artwork of at least 300 dpi and at least 7” x 9.”
NOTIFICATION: Notification of acceptance/non-acceptance will be via e-mail. Note: please be sure to set your e-mail to accept messages from CaFÉ™ to prevent your notification from going into your Junk Mail or Spam folder.
FEES: There is a non-refundable $40 entry fee for the submission of one to three images, and $5.00 for each additional image beyond the third. The maximum number of images that may be submitted is 15. Payment may be made online through CaFÉ with a credit card. Alternatively, you may also pay by check:
Please make check or money order payable to Clatsop Community College
Mail to: Au Naturel International Juried Exhibition c/o Kristin Shauck, Royal Nebeker Art Gallery, Clatsop Community College, 1651 Lexington Avenue, Astoria, OR 97103.
SHIPPING: All work shipped must be sent in reusable crates or cartons. Accepted artists will be notified by e-mail with specific shipping instructions. Please be sure to follow shipping instructions carefully. The gallery will assume no responsibility for any damages incurred during shipping. NOTE: Artists are responsible for ALL shipping arrangements and shipping costs. • If the artist does not make return shipping arrangements or does not pick-up hand-delivered work within 90 days of the close of the exhibit, the artwork will become the property of the CCC Royal Nebeker Art Gallery.
• The gallery will retain a 35% percent commission on all sales.
• All artwork will be insured for the duration of the exhibit.
• Sales price is determined by the artist; however, the artist may choose to designate artwork as NFS (not for sale).
• Artwork must be available for the duration of the show (January 25 – March 15).
• The gallery reserves the right not to exhibit any artwork that differs significantly from the submitted image and/or is not properly prepared for installation (artwork framed with glass is only acceptable for hand-delivered work; if glazing is necessary for framed work that will be shipped, do not use glass—use plexiglass) or otherwise professionally presented with wires or appropriate hanging devices (no saw-tooth hangers).
• Work that does not comply with the terms of the prospectus will not be included in the exhibition and will be returned at the artist’s expense.
• Pick-up date of hand-delivered work: Friday, March 16, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Shipped work will be returned ASAP using the return shipping label provided by the artist. Artists must arrange and pay for a pre-paid return shipping label (please note: the United States Post Office does not issue pre-paid return labels or provide pick-up service, so please use another courier such as FedEx, UPS, or DHL). Be sure to include artist’s name, return address, weight of loaded crate and dimensions clearly written on each box, and please also securely attach a printed image of the artwork on the outside of the box for visual identification.
DEADLINE: entries must be submitted by Midnight (11:59:59 pm) Mountain Time, November 7, 2017.
QUESTIONS? Please refer to the CaFÉ Web site for detailed information about how to prepare digital images (https://www.callforentry.org/image_prep.phtml) or for complete instructions about how to submit an application (https://www.callforentry.org/faq.phtml). For technical support, contact CaFÉ at firstname.lastname@example.org Monday through Friday, between 8:30 am and 5 pm Mountain Time. For questions about eligibility and other competition requirements, contact email@example.com or call 503-338-2472.
Au Naturel International Juried Exhibition c/o Kristin Shauck, Royal Nebeker Art Gallery, Clatsop Community College, 1651 Lexington Avenue, Astoria, OR 97103
Clatsop Community College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution.
International Juried Exhibition • January 25 to March 15, 2018