Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 8/24/17
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Description of theme: Art Works Downtown aims to create an exhibition presenting artwork exploring the concept of migration. While the definition of migration typically refers to the intentional movement from one place to another, we can point to this action being present in both our person lives and on a global stage. Artists are invited to consider the ways in which movements of communities, individuals, cultures and climate conditions has shaped history and continues to craft our current moment.
Juror: Emily A. Kuhlmann, Director of Exhibitions and Curatorial Affairs, Museum of the African Diaspora in San Francisco. www.moadsf.org
- SF Bay Area artists only (artist must live within 100 miles from San Rafael California)
- Open to all visual arts media, video (must provide player and monitor, projections are prohibited).
- Size limit: artwork must not exceed six feet in any dimension.
- Apply through Call For Entries.org. AWD will not accept hardcopy, email, or disk submissions.
- Original artwork only. No giclees or reproductions
- Submissions must not have previously exhibited in the AWD 1337 Gallery.
- Thurs, Aug 24, 4pm: ENTRIES DUE via CallForEntry.org
- Fri, Sep 1 or Sat, Sep 2: Notification by email. Note: you will receive separate emails for accepted and rejected works.
- Sat, Sep 23, 12pm–4pm: Deliver accepted entries
- Fri, Oct 13, 5-8pm: Reception
- Fri, Nov 10, 5–8pm: Closing Reception
- Sat, Nov 11, 10am–2pm: Pick up unsold artwork
Entry Fee: $40 for up to 3 entries. Discount provided for AWD Artist Members.
Online Entry: AWD uses callforentry.org (CaFÉ) to process juried exhibitions. To submit entries, visit www.callforentry.org. First create a free profile then upload images to your portfolio. Second, apply to this call. The CaFÉ website provides all the assistance you should need to prepare your submissions and apply. If you have trouble sizing your image(s), use the links provided below for help. Before you start, we recommend reviewing the CAFÉ HELP page. We also recommend reviewing our CAFÉ Tips and Tricks by going to artworksdowntown.org > Exhibitions tab > Calls for Entry > Tips and Tricks. If you need assistance after using Call For Entry HELP or these other websites, contact AWD to request assistance from our staff.
- 3D/sculptural entries: Since you can only submit one image per entry, we suggest submitting one image with two views.
- Free online image software: pixlr.com/editor; online-image-editor.com
- Make sure you are using the most updated internet browser. Check the CaFÉ help page or use this link: browsehappy.com.
Delivery of Accepted Work: Work(s) must be hand delivered to Art Works Downtown 1337 Fourth St., San Rafael between the hours of 12pm and 4pm. All work must be ready for installation. Wall hung work must be securely wired. If you’re artwork requires an unusual installation process, include clear and thorough directions and be prepared to help install your artwork during the following week if the Gallery Designer needs your help. No substitutes will be accepted for works approved by the juror. Please also deliver an artist statement and resume for the artist binder. We do not print these materials for you. The artist must sign a consignment contract upon delivery. If a representative of the artist delivers, the artist must call ahead to give the representative’s name.
Pick Up: Pick up unsold work between 10am and 2pm. Artists who do not retrieve their work will be charged a storage fee of $1.00 per day. Works remaining after 30 days will become property of Art Works Downtown.
Sales: Art Works Downtown (AWD) accepts a 40% donation upon sale. AWD processes sales as follows. All checks and credit card sales will be made to Art Works Downtown. AWD then reports the sales tax and passes the net sale to the artist. The artist is responsible for donating 40% of the net sale total to AWD. It is not the artist’s responsibility to report sales tax. All sold artworks will remain in the gallery until the exhibition ends. Buyers can pick up the work on, or after, the last exhibition day. Sales will be paid to artists at the end of the exhibition.
Liability and Image use Regarding Work Submitted: Precaution will be taken to safeguard all work from loss or damage, but neither Art Works Downtown nor anyone connected with this exhibition will be responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Artist permits AWD to use images(s) of accepted works for AWD promotions.