City of Santa Monica - Cultural Affairs Division
1437 4th Street Suite 310
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 8/18/17
Images - Minimum: 10, Maximum: 16
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 4
Total Media - Minimum: 10, Maximum: 16
CALL FOR GROUP EXHIBITION PROPOSALS // 2018-2019
Annenberg Community Beach House // Beach=Culture Program
January – April 2018 / May – August 2018 / September – December 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, AUGUST 18th AT 11:59PM (MOUNTAIN TIME)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Beach=Culture presents a year-round series of temporary exhibits, concerts, talks, readings and artist residencies at the Annenberg Community Beach House. Exhibits showcase the work of regional artists and artist groups – both emerging and established.
The City provides versatile exhibition program that offers a display space, opening reception, optional additional public events, promotion and exposure to a wide variety of visitors to the Annenberg Community Beach House. For the public, exhibits provide a stimulating cultural counterpoint to the social and recreational opportunities at this country’s only “Public Beach Club.”
The Purpose of Beach House Gallery is to:
- Support artistic activity in Santa Monica.
- Open avenues for discourse between artists and the general public
- Present unique perspectives and narratives that are intrinsically connected to the Beach House
- Advance opportunities and professional development of LA County-based artists
ABOUT THE SPACE
The Beach House Gallery is located in the Event House, between the historic pool and the Marion Davies Guest House. The display space is a central hallway consisting of 9-foot high white walls, with approximately 100 linear feet total wall space and adjustable ceiling-mounted track lighting. In addition, there are two (2) lighted display cabinets (4ft.w x 6ft.h x 2ft.d) with adjustable glass shelves for small-scale, two and three-dimensional objects and fragile items. A floor plan with dimensions is included with this call detail.
We highly encourage you to visit the Beach House to get a sense of the Event House gallery space before submitting a proposal. Gallery hours are 9:00am to 4:00pm daily, unless a private event is scheduled. Please call (310) 458-4904 to confirm that the gallery is open.
Proposals for group exhibitions (with three or more artists) from emerging and established artists, photographers and artist groups/collectives, based in Los Angeles County, will be considered. The exhibition display period is four (4) months. Proposals for solo shows and from artists outside Los Angeles County will NOT be considered.
DEVELOPING YOU GROUP EXHIBTION PROPOSAL
Proposals should showcase the ready-to-hang artwork of three or more artists exemplifying a clear curatorial idea or theme, informed by three typologies that define the Beach House: Histories, Peoples, and Environments. When developing a proposal, please take into account the diversity of visitors that make up the Beach House audience, including youth and families.
All artwork must be framed/ready to install and wall-mountable (except for display cabinet items), as there is no space for free-standing artwork in the space. Also, take into account that the gallery is a highly-traversed area and open to the public—without dedicated staff posted to continuously monitor the gallery. Delicate artworks are vulnerable in this setting, and their inclusion is not advised.
OPTIONAL ARTIST WORKSHOP/TALK
Proposals may include a related educational component such as an artist-led workshop or gallery talk as a part of the exhibition, to be scheduled during the display period, depending on availability. Participating artists and other presenters will be paid an honorarium.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
The Cultural Affairs Division will pay for the following exhibition-related expenses:
- Installation and de-installation
- Label and didactic text printing
- Exhibition postcard design and printing (1,000 count/double- sided/4-color processing)
- Opening reception with light refreshments and non-alcoholic beverages
- Optional educational workshop or gallery talk at the Annenberg Community Beach House
ARTWORK PRICING AND INSURANCE
As a City venue, we cannot display any prices or pricelists in the gallery area. However, staff can work with artists to provide contact information for inquiries about artwork purchase, and the City does not require any profit participation. In addition, the City will insure the artwork while on display and in the City’s possession. Artists will be required to fill out an artwork loan form stipulating the reasonable replacement value for the artwork on display.
SELECTION PROCESS & EXHIBITION TIMEFRAMES
The Cultural Affairs Division will review eligible proposals and select up to three (3) proposals for exhibitions through December 2018. Final selection notifications will be sent out by the end of August 2017.
- Option 1: January – April 2018
- Option 2: May – August 2018
- Option 3: September – December 2018
** These dates are subject to change. Staff will work with selected artists to schedule the installation and opening reception dates.
HOW TO APPLY:
Deadline: Friday, August 18th by 11:59pm, Mountain Time
Submission Requirements Group exhibition proposals should include:
- Proposed Exhibition Narrative: Describe the exhibition with a clearly written statement detailing your curatorial concept/exhibit theme and how the artwork illustrates that idea.
- List of Artists: List all of the artists that will participate in the exhibit, including their contact information (mailing address, telephone and e-mail address)
- Artist Resumes and Statement: Include resumes and short artist statements from each participating artist.
- Images: Submit JPEG (.jpg) format up to 16 images depicting each artwork in the exhibition. Images/files should be numbered and correspond to the annotated image list.
- Annotated Image List: Provide a numbered list of all images and include the artist’s name, title of work, medium, date of work and dimensions for each.