Liberty, Missouri Sculpture Program
101 E. Kansas
Liberty, MO 64068
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 4/2/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 3
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 3
The sculptures selected will be on display September 2019 - September 2020.
Liberty’s Public Art Sculpture Program is in its third year and is a way to expand a permanent collection of public art by featuring additional pieces that would be on display for a limited period of time. Additional locations for sculptures will be added each year. Up to Nine sculptures will be selected for installation in 2019. All work entered must be freestanding and resilient to variant temperatures and outdoor elements as it will be displayed outdoors for long-term public display. Selected artists will receive a $2,000 honorarium as well as public recognition and an opportunity for sales. The City of Liberty has the option to purchase at least one piece of art from the art pieces on display each cycle, which would become a part of the City’s permanent art collection. The purchase price may be up to $15,000 less the honorarium.
The Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program is open to all artists regardless of location and who are at least 18 years of age. All entries must be original work and of safe design and construction.
The following are the guidelines for the Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program:
· Pieces must be aestheically appropriate for display in public places. When reviewing pieces for consideration, safety to the public (i.e. no sharp edges, no points, no breakable or bendable components, no climbing hazards, no barbed wire, etc.) and durability will be priorities for acceptance. Height shall not create a balance hazard.
· The sculpture must be able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad with bolts.
· Materials may include but are not limited to: metal, wood, plastic, stone, ceramic or any other durable material that can withstand the variant temperatures. Regional temperature rage 120F to -30F
· Artists are responsible for insurance on the artwork, transporting, installing and removing the artwork after the display period in accordance with the timeline agreed upon with the City of Liberty. The City shall oversee installation. Any piece purchased by the City will be transported to its permanent location by the City after the artist removes the piece from the pad.
· Each artist selected to display will receive a $2,000 honorarium to help defray costs of transportation, installation, de-installation of the sculpture, and all other expenses involved. Any costs over $2,000 are entirely the responsibility of the artist.
· Selected Artwork must be installed by September 20, 2019 and removed by September 1, 2020. Any sculpture that cannot meet the scheduled installation and de-installation dates may be disqualified and an alternate piece may be chosen
· Artists may sell the exhibiting artwork during the scheduled time period. However, exhibiting artwork may not be removed until the exhibition has concluded on September 1, 2020.
Interested artists should submit the following to be considered:
· Completed application
· Artists may submit up to three (3) works for consideration any time prior to the deadline. Existing works and concept proposals will be considered.
· Digital Images of Submitted Work. Three (3) images shall be submitted for each entry. Each image should be labeled with image number, artist name and entry title.
· Each entry shall list:
- Artist name
- Entry Title
- Materials used to construct
- Photos with Dimensions (Height x Width x Depth)
- How the sculpture will be anchored
- Date completed
- Description of entry (limit to one paragraph)
- Artist Statement and brief Artist Biography
- Current Professional Resume
- Asking price for the sculpture
- Proof of General Liability Insurance if selected.
Deadline for submission is on or before April 1, 2019.
Sculpture entries shall be juried by a jury along with a committee including business and education professionals from the Liberty area. A selection panel will review all submissions meeting the application requirements and deadline. The selected artists may be interviewed by phone to discuss their proposed sculpture. Selected artists must enter into a contractual agreement approved by the City of Liberty.
EXHIBITION DEADLINES AND SCHEDULES
On or before April 1, 2019 Submission deadline.
On or before May 1, 2019 Notification of Jury results
Week of September 16-19, 2019 Installation and stipend provided to artists
Week of September 1-4, 2020 Exhibition closes/ last day to de-install sculptures