Grand Canyon Association
1824 South Thompson Street
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Event Dates: 9/8/18 - 9/16/18
Entry Deadline: 1/20/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 20
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 5
The event is open to all artists 18 years and older with plein air experience and experience painting the Grand Canyon. Please include plein air experience in the résumé that is submitted with your application.
Entry Form, Fee and Deadline
Please submit a completed entry form, a one page résumé (including contact info), three (3) images of your plein air artwork (including at least one Grand Canyon image painted from the Rim) in JPEG format (see following paragraph), and a non-refundable entry fee of $40. All artwork must be submitted in JPEG format; slides and prints will not be accepted. All submissions must be submitted by Jabuary 20, 2018.
Each artist must submit three (3) professional-quality images of their plein air artwork in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. Images should include the title of the piece in the file name. At least one Grand Canyon image painted from the Rim must be included in your submission. In addition, please list the title, dimensions, medium and price of your pieces on the Entry Form. If you have format questions please contact Terri Attridge at email@example.com.
The Grand Canyon Celebration of Art is an invitational and juried event. A panel of three to five jurors will review all applications and will select four to six artists who, together with returning and invited artists, will comprise the twenty-six participants in the 2018 event. Notification of acceptance will be emailed to each applicant no later than February 1, 2018.
Specifications for Works Accepted for Exhibition
Studio Submission: Each participating artist will submit one studio piece for the exhibit.
A professional-quality electronic image of this piece must be submitted by March 31, 2018 for reproduction in the exhibition catalog. Files must be high-resolution (300 dpi when reproduced at 9 x 12 inches).
Plein Air at Grand Canyon: Additional artwork must be completed on site at the Grand Canyon between September 8 and 15, 2018, and must feature Grand Canyon National Park subject matter. Blank canvases will be stamped with an official event insignia beginning on Friday, September 8, 2018 during the artists’ orientation and registration.
All works must be suitably framed and ready to hang. D-rings with picture wire or a suitable hanging device must be attached.
All participating artists must adhere to the event schedule and participate in the Quick Draw and Auction on September 15, 2018 (exceptions made with the approval of the Event Coordinator).
Number of pieces: Each participating artist will submit a minimum of five (5) plein air paintings which have been produced during the event. Grand Canyon–themed artworks produced prior to the event may be allowed for backup display and sale but must be approved by the Event Coordinator prior to submission.
This event is a fundraiser for the Grand Canyon Association, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. The Grand Canyon Association will retain a 50 percent commission on all sales. Payments for work sold will be mailed to the artist after the sale of each piece.
Shipment of Unsold Art
Artists are responsible for the cost of returning unsold artwork. All artists must provide FedEx or UPS account numbers for the return of unsold art.
Lodging and Transportation
Reservations and cost of lodging are the responsibility of the artist. Lodging options will be sent to participating artists in their notification packets.
Artists are responsible for providing their own transportation to, from and within Grand Canyon National Park.
- People’s Choice Award (voted on by the public during Quick Draw event)
- Artists’ Choice Award (Artists select one of their peers, based on body of work)
- Collectors’ Choice Award (judged by a master juror)
- Best of Show Award (judged by a master juror)
Calendar and Deadlines
- January 20, 2018– Artist Entry Form postmark deadline
- January 2018 – Jury meets
- February 1, 2018 – Artist notification emailed
- March 31, 2018 – Hi-res image (300 dpi when reproduced at 9 x 12 inches) of studio piece submitted for exhibition catalog
2018 Event Schedule*
- Friday, September 7 – Artists arrive for orientation and canvas stamping (afternoon)
- September 8 – 15 – Artists paint on site (in addition, scheduled public demonstrations along the rim adjacent, locations and artists to be determined)
- Friday, September 14 – All artists paint along rim between Mather Point and Trailview Overlook (sunrise to 10:00 a.m.)
- September 12-13 – Framed art turned in for hanging (afternoon; exact times to be determined)
- September 15 – Quick Draw event and auction (morning)
- September 15 – Collectors’ Preview and Sale Reception (evening)
- September 16 – Opening Reception (morning)
- Exhibition & Sale through January 14, 2019
*Additional events and/or presentations will be scheduled at a later time.
Contact Kathy Duley at 480-277-0458 or firstname.lastname@example.org