PAPNM 2018 Santa Fe Plein Air Fiesta
P.O. Box 20503
Albuquerque, NM 87154-0503
Event Dates: 4/28/18 - 5/18/18
Entry Deadline: 1/14/18
Media Images: 3
Entry Fee (2018 Santa Fe Plein Air Festival): $45.00
Plein Air Painters of New Mexico (PAPNM) will host the 2018 Santa Fe Plein Air Fiesta in the Land of Enchantment. Prospectus. This is a juried paint-out competiteion and show in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
EVENT DATES Kick-Off Fiesta & Orientation: Friday, April 27th
Paint-Outs: Saturday, April 28th – Wednesday, May 2
Opening Reception & Awards: Friday, May 4
Gallery Show: Friday, May 4 – Friday, May 18 at Sorrel Sky Gallery
Stephanie Hartshorn Workshop: Friday, May 4 – Sunday, May 6 (separate registration and fee)
Over $20,000.00 in cash and merchandise will be awarded. At least 15 awards will be presented. Top awards will be:
Best of Show - $2,500 in cash plus merchandise
Second Place- $1,500 in cash plus merchandise
Third Place - $ 750 in cash plus merchandise
JUDGE OF AWARDS
• Stephen Day stephenday.com Working primarily in oils, Stephen Day is a full-time artist living in the Southwest, where he is renowned for his plein air paintings of the local landscape. Painting the beauty of his natural environment is Day’s ‘first love,’ and he frequently paints on location using the smaller works as studies for larger paintings completed in the studio. Born in Wyoming, Day has lived in some of the most breathtaking landscapes in the West including Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Durango and Aspen, Colorado. Day is academically trained, having earned both a B.A. and a Masters’ degree. In addition, he studied at the Art Students League of Denver and the Loveland Academy of Fine Art in Colorado.
JURORS OF SELECTION
• Shanan Campbell Wells – www.sorrelsky.com Owner of Sorrel Sky Gallery. Founded in Durango, CO in 2002, Sorrel Sky Gallery opened its second location in Santa Fe, NM in 2014. Sorrel Sky Gallery’s visionary approach to Western art allows both new and experienced art enthusiasts the opportunity to select from a distinctive collection of contemporary and traditional fine art and jewelry. The gallery represents several acclaimed and renowned painters, sculptors and jewelers, including Kevin Red Star, Star Liana York, and former U.S. Senator Ben Nighthorse, among others.
• Stephanie Hartshorn – SorrelSky.com/stephaniehartshorn A fourth generation Coloradoan, Stephanie’s artistic journey started in architecture. Her love of design details, the rhythms and complex beauty in the lines and curves of the manmade world find expression in her work. Her most recent plein air events include Laguna Beach Plein Air Invitational and Door County Plein Air Festival. Stephanie will provide a workshop detailed below.
• Charles Iarrobino – charlesiarrobino.com Born in Annapolis, Maryland in 1952, Charles studied painting and printmaking at Virginia Commonwealth University and Syracuse University, graduating with a BFA in Painting and Printmaking in 1974. A member of Oil Painters of America and the American Impressionist Society, he has won many awards and had numerous one-man www.papnm.org 2 shows on the East Coast as well as in his adopted state of New Mexico. He currently makes his home in Santa Fe.
• Open to all plein air artists worldwide working in two-dimensional media excluding photography and digital art, with the exception of PAPNM Master members, who will be invited to show a plein air work, but who will not compete for awards.
• Accepted artists must agree to become, if they are not already, artist members of PAPNM - annual membership fee is $35.00 per calendar year.
IMAGE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
• Artists must submit 3 images of works online for jury consideration at CaFÉ™ www.callforentry.org
• All submitted work must be at least 80% completed en plein air within the past two years. (Painted January 2016 or later.)
• All work must be original.
* No work done under the guidance of an instructor is eligible.
• $45.00 (non-refundable) for 3 images paid via CaFÉ™ www.callforentry.org
• Jury result notification will be emailed on February 10, 2018.
Artists accepted into the event agree to:
• Become artist members of PAPNM - annual membership fee is $35.00 per calendar year.
• Pay a participation fee of $75.00 (non-refundable) within 10 calendar days of notification of acceptance. This fee goes toward event costs, such as food and beverages at the Kickoff Fiesta and Celebration Dinner which is a full sit down affair at a nice restaurant.
• Hang artwork for sale for the duration of the event at stated commission.
EXHIBITION Sorrel Sky Gallery, http://www.sorrelsky.com, located in the heart of Santa Fe, will host the opening reception and show exhibit May 4 – May 18.
• Two plein air works created during the event and
• One studio work created anytime of any subject matter, may show in the exhibition by each artist for a total of three works
• Minimum price point required by gallery is $500 for all hung work.
• If interested, artists may store an extra plein air piece created during the event at Sorrel Sky Gallery to replace sold paintings
. • Each dimension (length and width) of any work, including the frame, shall not exceed 26”. However, artists who want to show a work larger than 26” framed, can opt to hang one work (instead of two). This larger work may not exceed 36” x 48” framed.
• All work must be sturdily framed or gallery wrapped and ready to hang with D-rings and wire. No saw tooth hangers will be accepted.
• All work must be for sale. Artists will receive 50% of the sales price of the work. Sorrel Sky will receive 40% and PAPNM will receive 10%. Sorrel Sky Gallery will handle sales tax. Payment to artists will occur within 30 days of the close of the exhibit. • All possible care will be taken of the work submitted to the event. The gallery will not assume responsibility for work improperly framed. Work will be insured while at Sorrel Sky Gallery.
WORKSHOP (Separate registration and fee)
• Stephaine Hartshorn's workshop is “Painting the Character of Buildings” Having practiced architecture, Stephanie continues to engage structures as an art form. Learn to enjoy the experience of weaving an image together, staying open to the direction an idea may take, using the dynamic lines and curves of architecture in the landscape to paint the character of buildings.
• May 4-6 • Cost: $275
• This class is for beginner to intermediate artists.
* REGISTER HERE (Through SORREL SKY GALLERY)
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE
• Visit the CaFÉ™ website www.callforentry.org
• Login or open a new account
• Click Apply to Calls, type keyword Santa Fe Plein Air Fiesta, click Go, to get to the event application site.
• Follow the instructions provided on the web pages to insert your name and contact information, upload your three images, and pay the application fee. For further guidance on CaFÉ™ visit the CAFE HELP tab at the top of its website.
HOST HOUSING AND DISCOUNTED LODGING
• Host housing will be available on a limited, first come, first serve basis.
• PAPNM expects all artists who use host housing to gift a small painting to their host and to abide by common sense rules. • Santa Fe Sage Inn will offer the discounted room rate of $84/night plus lodging tax (15%) for two queen/double occupancy or single king/double occupancy. Parking $5/night/vehicle. Breakfast available at 7 a.m. or pre-order a “pack n’go” breakfast. To book, contact the Santa Fe Sage Inn at 866.433.0335 and mention Santa Fe Plein Air Fiesta by March 28, 2018 or click here.
All participants will be offered discounted co-op ads in Southwest Art and Plein Air magazines. (See below for email to contact Tobi Clement for details.) PAPNM will also extensively advertise during the duration of the event in art related print materials, local publications, social media and radio.
LICENSING FOR PROMOTION
Your acceptance to the event grants to Sorrel Sky Gallery and PAPNM a nonexclusive license to use images of your accepted works, at the sole discretion of Sorrel Sky Gallery and PAPNM, for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, the invitation, catalog, website or the subsequent year's prospectus. Images will include attribution to the artist whenever possible.
AGREEMENT OF ENTRY & LIABILITY
You agree that your submission of your entry and payment of the entry fee constitute your acceptance of all conditions and terms in this prospectus and the CaFÉ™ Agreement Terms & Conditions.
QUESTIONS AND CONTACTS
About CaFÉ™: Anita Blythe firstname.lastname@example.org
About Stephanie Hartshorn Workshop: email@example.com
About Paint Outs: Chuck Stup firstname.lastname@example.org
About PAPNM Membership: Admin@papnm.org
About Event: Co-Chairs: Alma Rosa Delgado ar.delgado@Q.com (505) 604-1713 or Jane Chapin email@example.com (813)391-1713
About Advertising: Tobi Clement firstname.lastname@example.org