Sangre de Cristo Arts Center
210 N. Santa Fe Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81003
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 5/18/18
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 15
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 15
In Sequence: the Art of Comics is an international juried exhibition which will open in conjunction with other animation and cartoon- themed exhibits and programs at the Sangre de Cristo Arts Center and the Buell Children’s Museum. Several prizes will be awarded, including Best of Show, 1st Prize, and 2nd Prize. In Sequence: the Art of Comics is open to all artists. We are interested in ORIGINAL artwork and concepts. For each entry (up to 3 per artist), please include one to five consecutive pages that are fully inked and lettered. Color is optional. We will choose between 20 and 30 artists’ works for the exhibit.
Juror: Dave McKean
Dave McKean is an English illustrator, writer, photographer, filmmaker and musician. He was born in Taplow, Berkshire in 1963. He lives on the Isle of Oxney in Kent, England with his wife, studio manager and musician, Clare. His work incorporates drawing, painting, photography, collage, found objects, digital art and sculpture. McKean is well-known for illustrating books by authors such as Neil Gaiman, Heston Blumenthal, Ray Bradbury and Stephen King, writing and illustrating graphic novels, and working on films such as Coraline, MirrorMask, and Luna.
McKean has won numerous awards and accolades. Over the years, he has been nominated five times for a World Fantasy Award, winning in 1991. His graphic novel Cages won the International Alph Award, Italy’s La Pantera, and Harvey Awards for best Graphic Novel. He has been nominated six times and won three Spectrum Awards. His collection of short comics, Pictures That Tick won the Victoria & Albert Museum Illustrated Book of the Year Award. In 2003, McKean won a British Science Fiction Award along with Neil Gaiman for their work, The Wolves in the Walls which was also named the NY Times Illustrated Book of the Year. His film MirrorMask won nine awards and his film, Luna, won Best British Feature at the Raindance Festival among others.
May 18, 2018: Digital images, concept statement (500 words or less in English), entry fees due
May 25, 2018: Notification of acceptance will be via email
June 4, 2018: Submission of high-resolution images (see Rules), completed exhibition agreement
June 10, 2018: First day of exhibition
June 10, 2018: Public opening: 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
September 9, 2018: Last day of exhibition
September 10 - 28, 2018: Please notify us if you’d like to provide postage to send your printed images to you, if you’d like us to destroy them, or if you’d like to donate them to the museum for fund-raising purposes.
Best of Show: 100 copies of winning entry 12”x16” (per page) on Photo Rag 188# paper
1st Prize: 50 copies of winning entry on 12”x16” (per page) on on Photo Rag 188# paper
2nd Prize: 25 copies of winning entry on 12”x16” (per page) on on Photo Rag 188# paper
1. In Sequence: the Art of Comics is open to all artists. We are interested in ORIGINAL artwork and concepts. For each entry, please include one to five consecutive pages that are fully inked and lettered. Color is optional. We require an artist’s concept statement of 500 words or less in English summarizing your story.
2. Artists may enter online at:
at our website https://www.sdc-arts.org/exhibitions/calls,
or via email at email@example.com.
All images MUST be submitted in digital form. Non-digital images will not be considered for acceptance into the exhibit. Save images with your name included in the file name. We will request high-resolution images from accepted artists with a resolution of at least 300 dpi, or greater, and as a .pdf, .tiff or .jpg that can be reproduced at 1,650 pixels wide. Keep in mind that we will print accepted work at 9” x 12” per page. Please don’t submit any work that utilizes already-existing characters, extreme portrayals of violence, nudity or gore; these will not be accepted.
3. Non-refundable entry fee of $20 includes up to three entries (each entry consists of one page up to five consecutive pages) per artist.
4. Limit of 3 entries per artist (each entry consists of 1 page or up to 5 consecutive pages.)
5. We will print accepted digital files on 180# white matte photo paper not to exceed 9” x 12” horizontally or vertically (per page) as your work dictates for display in the exhibit.
6. Work that is accepted to the show must remain on exhibit through September 7, 2018.
7. Artist may not substitute another work for an accepted artwork.
8. Artist grants the Sangre de Cristo Arts & Conference Center the right to use images in promotional materials, including but not limited to, social media, website, printed advertising and marketing materials used to promote the exhibition. Artist(s) will be fully credited in any promotional materials. Artist(s) will retain copyrights to any submitted artworks.
Payment of fees:
Payment of fees will be handled through the www.callforentry.org payment procedures, by check to Sangre de Cristo Arts Center ATTN: COMICS, or by credit card in person or by phone at the Welcome Center (719-295-7200).
For more information, please contact LuDel Walter via the information provided below.
LuDel Walter, Visual Arts Coordinator
Sangre de Cristo Arts and Conference Center
719-295-7200 ext. 7218 • firstname.lastname@example.org