118 N. Jefferson St.
Dayton Ohio 45402
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 7/1/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 5
APPLICATION FEE: Free for Current DVAC Members; $20 for non-Members
CURRENT DVAC MEMBERS: Email Gallery Manager at email@example.com or call 937/224.3822 for DVAC Member Waiver Code you need to input at check-out
TO BECOME A DVAC MEMBER and receive exhibition and sales opportunities all year long, go to daytonvisualarts.org and click “Membership.”
The Dayton Visual Art Center’s (DVAC) Holiday Gift Gallery is the premier fine art and fine craft professional gallery show and sale in the region. Opening with a ticketed preview party, Holiday on Ice (November 15) and running through December 22, it includes targeted marketing for the biggest shopping weekend of the year—Black Friday (November 23), Small Business Saturday (November 24) and Cyber Monday (November 25) —and attracts thousands of visitors from throughout Southwest Ohio.
Presented in DVAC’s downtown, loft-like, contemporary gallery space and displayed on custom designed modular wood and industrial hardware cubbies, shelves, pedestals with both direct and natural lighting, DVAC’s Holiday Gift Gallery is known for its high quality, unique character and wide variety of media. The warm, friendly and art-knowledgeable staff and volunteers showcase work to its best advantage each day while events like Corporate Holiday parties, Dayton’s First Friday and downtown Tree-Lighting events keep crowds coming through the show during its 5-week run.
These guidelines are to help artists determine whether or not their work is eligible and, particularly, to help beginning artists with expectations of professional gallery display.
- DVAC seeks to exhibit work of the highest level of craftsmanship, originality and contemporary style
- All work must be structurally sound, safe, non-toxic and fit for its intended use.
- A mass-produced, cluttered or commercial appearance to the entire show or an individual artist’s display is avoided. We will not accept commercially-produced display forms or structures nor signs, flyers, business cards or any other form of advertising for other shows, artist’s website, Etsy site or other sales-oriented site.
- DVAC curates the display and items from the artist’s inventory, holds some items in back inventory and moves and adjusts displays around weekly. DVAC reserves the right to make these adjustments.
- Small, creative Item description tags are encouraged and DVAC staff is available for consultation on size, media and presentation/attachment to artwork. (DVAC produces inventory bar code stickers which must be placed on bottom or back of objects, preferably on an artist-made hang-tag, never directly on jewelry or fiber or the front of 2D work)
- DVAC encourages artists to invite their mailing list to the Holiday Gift Gallery (artists receive 25 postcards for this purpose, more can be made available upon request) and collector’s gatherings, tours and events are encouraged.
- All gallery sales during the run of the Gift Gallery must be administered through DVAC.
Audience & Sales
DVAC’s membership of 600 community members and artists, as well as longtime DVAC collectors, out-of-town visitors and thousands of visitors each year look forward to the Holiday Gift Gallery each year. Our devoted attendees appreciate fine art and fine craft and are ready to buy gifts and for their own homes for the holidays.
Up to 50 artists will be invited to participate. Sales commission split is 60:40, artist’s favor. DVAC manages and processes all cash, check and credit card sales. In addition, the Director selects 10-12 items to highlight and offer for purchase through DVAC’s website, E-blasts and social media.
Last year, 63 artists were selected; 950 works sold; and gross sales were $41,000. Buyers are most drawn to one-of-a-kind, hand-crafted ornaments with a retail range price point of $9-15. The next most popular is handmade jewelry, ceramic (mostly functional) glass, fiber (knit, silk, felted items) and wood; ranging retail between $24-300
Selection Criteria & Submission
- Any artist may participate; as the Holiday Gift Gallery is a benefit of DVAC Membership, non-member exhibitors will be asked to become a DVAC Member by the opening of the show. Membership starts at $25 for students; $45 for individuals; $75 for Family/Duo
- CURRENT DVAC MEMBERS: Email Gallery Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 937/224.3822 for DVAC Member Waiver Code you need to input at check-out
- Artists must be the maker, designer, creator and producer of the work
- Submission images should exemplify representative works, but do not need to include all works to be exhibited. Please only include media that that will be available to show and sell.
- Jurors will rank all submissions on level of craftsmanship, originality and contemporariness (i.e., items such as country crafts, anything made in a commercial mold or with a commercial kit, commercially manufactured clothing or household items with artist embellishment, dried flower wreaths and alphabet photography would not be considered)
- Final item selection and inventory will be approved by DVAC staff. (Limited multiples of ornaments and other small items is encouraged, but generally not to exceed 10 of the same item.)
- Invitational Artist Awards: Up to five Invitational Awards will be given to selected artists. Each recipient will be invited to return to the next year’s Holiday Gift Gallery with no jury process and no application fee.
- Best of Show Award: One artist will receive Best of Show. The recipient will be invited to return to the next year’s Holiday Gift Gallery with no jury process and no application fee.
Advertising & Promotion
DVAC’s Holiday Gift Gallery consistently ranks as one of Ohio Magazine’s top fine art shows in the region, will be reviewed in the Dayton Daily News and the Dayton City Paper among others, and is a great opportunity to both exhibit in a professional gallery and garner new sales and collectors. The show is promoted show through printed invite (3,000), poster distribution, press release (45 regional media), TV, radio and online (website, bi-weekly Eiblast to 3,200, social media) as well as will be integrated into regional Convention & Visitors Bureau websites, 40+ online calendars and event sites.
July 1 Submission Deadline
July 30 Acceptance Notification, Inventory List and Consignment Form Emailed back to DVAC
Aug. 1-15 Meet with new artists
Sept. 15 Artist tagging and presentation workshop
Sept. 22 Completed checklist returned to DVAC
Sept. 25- Oct. 13 Inventory Barcode Stickers mailed to the artist
Oct 26 & 28 Drop-off by appt (DVAC approves final items and pricing)
Nov. 14 Private Artist Opening
Nov 15 Holiday on Ice-Collector’s Preview
Nov 16 Open to the public
December 6, 13, 20 Trunk Shows/Pop-up Shops
Dec 22 Final day of exhibition
Dec 26-28 Remaining inventory pick-up by appt.
Jan 30 Commission checks mailed to artists