P.O. Box 5322 Charlotte, NC 28299
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Public Art
State: North Carolina
Entry Deadline: 10/14/18
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 1
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 1
Art + Public Outdoor Project = ArtPop!
Artists: ONE image only can be sumbitted and it must be cropped to the specs.
Call ends on 10/14/18 at 11:59 MOUNTAIN time, not EST
Ask a graphic designer for help if you have difficulties with the specifications
• You must be at least 18 years old or a high school senior who will be studying the arts through higher education in the 2019/2020 academic year.
• You must have an active artist website for your artwork. This requirement is waived for high school senior applicants.
• You must reside in one of the following NC/SC counties:
o York (SC)
o Lancaster (SC)
• You may not have been selected as an ArtPop artist in the last three years. ArtPop artists from the 2014 and 2015 classes are now welcome to reapply.
• Submissions must be the work of one individual. Collaborations/teams will not be accepted.
• Submissions must be your original work and must have been created in the last three years.
What is ArtPop?
Imagine your artwork spanning 672 square feet of canvas and placed on display up in the air for thousands of people throughout the Charlotte region to see and enjoy each day. At ArtPop Street Gallery, we make that vision a dream-come-true reality. Our goal is to promote local artists’ work and make art accessible to communities through available media space. If you are selected to be one of this year’s 20 ArtPop Charlotte artists, your winning submission will appear on one of 20 billboards provided by our media partner, Adams Outdoor Advertising for a 12-month period. Each artist will also receive an Uptown newsstand for 6 months brought to you by our partners at Charlotte Center City. Additional media space and benefits may be added to the program as they are confirmed later in the year.
This advertising space translates to a $50K-70K value and creates a one-of-a-kind, city-sized gallery for your artwork in order to beautify Charlotte and the surrounding area to make art accessible to all. Becoming an ArtPop artists means gaining career-boosting exposure. You will also become a member of the larger ArtPop family of artists, supporters, and volunteers who are passionate about advocating for local artists. All disciplines are welcome, and we thank you for sharing your submission with us! We hope to see you join the 97 area artists who have already been through and benefitted from the ArtPop program!
Materials to Submit:
• You must submit a brief artist statement that explains your medium of work, lists your website URL and social media accounts, and includes a brief explanation of why you would like to be a part of the ArtPop program. High school senior applicants should speak to their academic plans in the arts.
• You must submit a 5MB maximum file size image of your work, per the specifications below.
Image Requirements for Submission:
• All disciplines are welcome! Previous artists have submitted drawings, paintings, sculpture, print making, textiles, photography, digital illustration, etc. If your work is not digital in nature, please photograph and crop your piece to a 24" x 5.5" rectangle. Your work must be pre-cropped in order to be accepted. We will not crop your work to scale.
• Your file for submission cannot exceed 5MB.
• **Please see "site details" for a visual template of where and how your art will be placed on the billboard.**
• Work depicting nude subjects or any slanderous creative will not be accepted.
Artist Selection Process:
• A six-member jury, comprised of art professionals, collectors, and ArtPop alumni, will judge all submissions that meet the above requirements. Twenty submissions will be selected. You will be notified whether or not you are chosen as a 2019 ArtPop artist.
If Your Art is Chosen:
• Congratulations! You’re now among 265 artists around the country who are ArtPop artists. We will inform you via email or by phone by or on November 12th if you have been chosen. Look out for an ArtPop Artist Welcome Kit with additional instructions.
• Selected artists will receive specific instructions regarding the best way to provide us with a final high-quality photograph of their artwork according to the required specs.
• You must be available on the evening of Thursday, Dec. 6, 2018 to attend the ArtPop
Artist Reveal Reception event which will be held in Uptown Charlotte. You will be allowed to bring one guest.
• The 20 ArtPop billboards are expected to be installed the week of January 7th – 11th, 2019. 10 of the 20 newsstands will install in the first weeks of January.
• Selected artists will also receive an academic course from on the business of art.
If course is of interest you will need to be available the evening of January 11th and day of January 12th, 2019 in Charlotte to attend.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: October 14th, 2018 at 11:59p.m. MST