Entry Deadline: 11/5/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 6, Maximum: 6
Entry Fee (The Santo Foundation Individual Artist Awards 2018): $40.00
THE SANTO FOUNDATION INDIVIDUAL ARTIST AWARDS 2018
$20,000.00 Awarded to Visual Artists: Three artists will be selected to each receive $5,000.00. Five additional awards of $1,000.00 each will also be awarded.
The Santo Foundation is pleased to announce our 2018 Distinguished Juror, Laura Copelin.
LAURA COPELIN is Director & Curator at Ballroom Marfa, established in 2003 in a converted 1927 dancehall in Marfa, Texas, as a space for creative artistic expression. In Marfa, she has realized numerous exhibitions and public programs including the curr
ent group exhibition, Hyperobjects with philosopher Timothy Morton (2018), the group exhibition Tierra. Sangre. Oro. with artist Rafa Esparza (2017), and is facilitating the stone circle, a major public commission by Haroon Mirza. At Ballroom she has also organized and coordinated projects such as the exhibition After Effect (2016); Artists’ Film International exhibitions and programs (2015-2018); the Marfa Dialogues/Houston symposium with FotoFest (2016); and more.
Copelin’s pre-Marfa experience spans the spectrum of arts organizations from serving as Assistant Curator at the Santa Monica Museum of Art in Los Angeles to participating in artist-run schools and residencies including: Machine Project’s Curatorial Academy; Mountain School for Arts; Summer Forum for Inquiry and Exchange; and the Los Angeles Seminary for Civic and Embodied Arts.
The Santo Foundation is thrilled to connect the earnest, relevant and inspired spirit that Laura brings to her past and current work in California and Texas, to the work of the talented and devoted emerging artists from the United States and abroad who enter the call to the annual Individual Artist Awards.
- Artists may submit online only through Call for Entry.org (CaFÉ).
- Graduate School candidates are eligible. Students at earlier levels are not eligible.
- Emerging, mid-career and mature artists are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- All mediums of visual art are eligible including images, audio, video and performance.
- This is an International call and all artists are welcome to apply regardless of country, state or residency status.
- Please submit (minimum and maximum) 6 files of original work and a current artist cv/resume.
- No artist statements.
- Limit video segments to 3 minutes.
- Please do not submit other materials.
- Application fee of $40.00 USD.
- Call for Entry dates: August 1, 2018 through November 5, 2018 (deadline extended).
- Distinguished Juror will review work samples and exhibition proposals. Santo Foundation staff is NOT a part of this process.
- Work samples and application materials are electronically reviewed, rated and selected.
- Winning Artists will be announced on Facebook, Instagram and on santofoundation.org in December 2018. The eight winning artists will be personally contacted upon selection.
- Please note if you have questions regarding technical aspects of callforentry.org please contact their help desk. Please do not contact the juror.
- If you have questions that do not involve Call for Entry technical issues contact information can be found on The Santo Foundation website.
Application Components & Things to Include or Consider:
- Work Samples Upload 6 images (jpg) and/or video/sound files (mp3, mp4, wav, mov, mpg).
- Artist CV/Resume: Upload 1 artist CV or resume (Should provide context for “where you are” in your art career. Should not be too long [no more than three pages] and should include art-career or other relevant info only)
- Image Credits or Short Descriptions: If applicable, write a brief credit line or short description for each image, video, or sound file uploaded.
- Select works that are no more than five years old, if possible.
- Select works that show your best talents in one area (Depth over breadth).
- “Clarity of Vision”: curate your work samples to create a cohesive identity for yourself as an artist to the Juror.
Three artists will be selected to each receive $5,000.00 USD. Five additional awards of $1,000.00 USD each will also be awarded.
Funds are to be used at the artist’s discretion with no follow up material required.