Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
State: North Carolina
Event Dates: 8/14/18 - 9/14/18
Entry Deadline: 10/1/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 20
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 10
DEADLINE UPDATE: Sold Out.
A Call for Artists
Mission Health, in partnership with EL Design Studios & Gallery VI, is recruiting all artist, galleries and art organizations for work that may be considered for purchase and display at the new Mission Hospital for Advanced Medicine.
Artists are invited to submit both 2D and 3D work, with an emphasis on nature and/or culture inspired art. All mediums (Pottery, Jewelry, Glass, Textiles, Ceramics, Wood, Drawing, Painting etc.) are welcome. Artwork can be readily available for purchase or an artist may be open to possible commissions. Purchases will be chosen by a Steering Committee, a panel of Mission leadership, who are charged with selecting pieces that reflect the unique art community and culture of the region. This call is open to all artists residing in the following western North Carolina counties:
The new 12-story Mission Hospital for Advanced Medicine in Asheville will create a significantly expanded state-of-the-art emergency department with 97 beds, consolidated operating, pre-operative and recovery space along with interventional cardiology and radiology space that allows for true multidisciplinary, team-based interventional care with the very latest technology. Importantly, the facility was designed to embrace patients and families throughout the care process including sleep-in-rooms- and a unique energy efficiency focus and design that will set a new standard for future innovation. The new tower is set to open in the fall of 2019.
Who is Eligible?
This call is open to all artists who are residents of western North Carolina.
SCOPE OF WORK
Art provides a positive diversion, inspires hope and contributes to an atmosphere of healing and restoration. In the hospital setting, art addresses the health of the human body and spirit, reminding us of the human connections, life experiences, and memories that can support and comfort us as we confront illness.
By providing positive distractions to patients of all ages, the art program at Mission Health Hospital for Advanced Medicine will play an integral role in supporting the healing process while enhancing the patient, family, staff and community experience. Mission Health desire is to feature art from local artists that incorporates a variety of styles, mediums and content.
Artists are encouraged to submit pieces that are nature-inspired and culturally inspired to help Mission Health celebrate what represents western North Carolina. Together, we will build an outstanding art program that reflects the hospital’s BIG(GER) aim: To get every person their desired outcome, first without harm, also without waste and always with an exceptional experience for each person, family and team member.
- Up to 10 images of available work or sold pieces that could potentially be commissioned. Please indicate if artwork has been sold
- Image Description (not to exceed 500-characters per image). Please describe your work samples by including title, year made, medium, dimensions, and wholesale price. Include any necessary packaging and shipping cost for each artwork (as a separate line item) in the image description.
- Artist’s Statement (not to exceed 2,000 – characters). Please write a brief description of your artistic intent.
- Biography (not to exceed 1 page). File should be no larger than 2mb and txt, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, or jpg format only.
- Resume (not to exceed 1 page). File should be no larger than 2mb and txt, pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, or jpg format only.
Mission Health is committed to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of Western North Carolina in the selection of its artists and their work. Art will be selected and placed based on the following criteria:
- Artist must be a resident of western North Carolina. Refer to list of approved 18 counties.
- All artwork must be suitable for a healing, public hospital setting.
- Keep in mind that a hospital is often a highly stressful environment, so your artwork should have a high likelihood of positively affecting viewers, even promoting a calming response from them. Avoid threatening imagery or imagery perceived as dangerous. Controversial or political imagery will not be considered. Artworks that contain graphic depictions of violence, sexually explicit imagery, and/or nudity are highly discouraged and will be disqualified.
- Artistic interpretation of nature and or culturally inspired art.
- Highest quality content and craftsmanship.
- Mission Health will consider artworks that need minimal maintenance and cleaning that can be carried out within the normal cleaning duties of staff.
- Three-dimensional pieces will be evaluated based on safety considerations, both for the artwork and for patients, visitors, and staff. Electronic media is discouraged.
- All artists with work considered for use at Mission Health will be subject to a background check. Failure to disclose any criminal history will result in disqualification.
DONATION OF ART
Mission Health is currently not accepting art donations in the form of art but if you desire to give a monetary donation toward artwork, it can be made through the Office of Philanthropy with the intent specified to be used in the purchase of art. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will direct you to the proper contacts at the Foundation for Mission Health.
All notifications regarding application status will be provided via the CaFÉ system. Artists who apply will be notified of the selection panel’s decision by December 2018.
Mission Health reserves the right to not select any of the applicants.
CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS
All questions regarding the call for artists must be submitted in writing and sent via email to: email@example.com. Do not contact the hospital at any time.
For assistance with the online application process, please contact CaFÉ tech support at 888.562.7232 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday – Friday, 9 AM to 4:00 PM (MST).