Robert Crown Community Center and Park Public Art Call
Entry Deadline: 10/12/18
Number of Applications Allowed: 2
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 20
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 20
The City of Evanston has the following goals and considerations for public art installations. For your proposal, please propose an installation and location that meets one or more of the criteria below.
· Be community based
· Create another destination for the park and center
· Be site‐responsive
· Be interactive
· Encourage activity
· Integrate with/enhance the architecture
· Improve the experience of the residents, visitors, and businesses
· Relate to a diverse group of people
· Be long‐lasting, durable, and require little maintenance
· Be appropriately scaled for the public spaces
· Installations within the hardscape/parkland
· Design integrated with the architecture (floors/walls/ceilings/lighting/acoustics)
· Interactive art within the landscape
· Application is open to artists or artistic teams of all backgrounds and levels of accomplishment, worldwide.
· Anyone receiving funds directly from the City of Evanston will not be eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
· Artist Resume(s) (if a team- one from each team member) with any project related information. Teams should confirm a primary contact.
· Artist(s) Statement / Letter of intent (one page maximum) outlining your interest and approach to the project with thoughts on potentials for public programming around the piece(s).
· Images/description of the proposed artwork along with approximate/rough dimensions of the artwork demostrating its scale in the context. (Please note : The CAFÉ portal only accepts submissions as JPEGS and automatically scripts a portfolio of the submitted images for the jury. While we understand the complications of this format, we ask that you export each page of your proposal (written, graphic or otherwise) as a JPEG and upload them individually to the portal. There is also an area for a written artists statment, and text can be submitted here as well. In addition to the above, but not as a replacement to, as part of your written submission you may include a link to an online storage location (dropbox, google drive) where a PDF may be uploaded. )
· Aesthetic Excellence – The highest priority is the inherent aesthetic quality of the artwork and its compatibility and relationship with the site as well as the way the public is intended to respond and interact with the artwork.
· Relevance – Artwork must be appropriate for and sensitive to the chosen location including surrounding architecture, local history, and community attitudes and concerns.
· Placement – The requirement for the final placement of the artwork in a location accessible to the public may influence selection.
· Community Engagement – Will the proposed artwork facilitate community engagement and interaction and bring more people to the center.
· Durability and Permanence – Resistance to theft, vandalism, and weathering, as well as structural sustainability and the potential for excessive maintenance must be considered as the work is intended to be permanent.
· Public Safety – The artwork must be safe for the intended public use.
· Public Programming – Ability for artwork to support public programming.
· Past Experience – Can the proposing artists or artistic teams demonstrate past success and experience with similar art installations and community works.
· Financially and Technically Feasible – The artist must provide convincing evidence of his or her ability to successfully complete the artwork as proposed within the proposed budget.
August 17th, 2018 RFP Issued
August 30th, 11:00am CST Online Project Introduction/Information Session (see additional information below)
October 12th, 2018 Deadline for submissions
October 26th, 2018 Finalist Selection
November 2018 Finalist Interviews
December 2018 Project Award
October 2019 Artwork Installation Deadline
*All dates subject to change.
· Design Renderings
· Site plan
· Floor plans
· Video and Recording of online information session.
Online GoTo Meeting non-mandatory Information Session, Thursday August 30th, 11:00am Central Standard Time.
Any questions should be directed to email@example.com by September 14th, 2018 at 3:00pm.