Center for Contemporary Arts National Juried Art Show & Competition
220 Cypress St.
Abilene, TX 79601
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Competitions
Event Dates: 11/6/18 - 1/26/19
Entry Deadline: 10/15/18
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
The Center for Contemporary Arts
2nd Annual National Juried Art Show & Competition
November 06, 2018 – January 26, 2019
This is a national competition open to all artists 21 years of age and over. Submitted artwork must not have been shown previously at the Center for Contemporary Arts (CCA).
Original, 2 and 3-dimensional art only. No artwork over 3 years old may be shown.
Wall mounted works must not be taller than 50" no wider than 50". Boundary of sculpture should not exceed 36 inches in any direction. Weight limit 50 lbs.
Oil, watercolor, scratch board, acrylic, gouache, alkyd, tempera, mixed media, pastel, pencil, pen & ink, aquatint, watercolor, bronze, wood, ceramic, photography, fiber digital art will be accepted. If you have a question regarding your media, please call or email us: 325-677-8389, firstname.lastname@example.org
The call will open September 1, 2018 and will end October 15, 2018. No exceptions.
Entry and Fee
All entry submissions must be done through CaFE. (https://www.callforentry.org/)
Entry fees are $35 per image. Submit up to three (3) images. Fees may be paid with Visa, MasterCard, a personal check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to the Center for Contemporary Arts. Credit Card fees will be paid through CaFE.
Notification of Selection
· All entrants will be notified via email whether their artwork has been selected. All original artwork accepted shall be either hand delivered or shipped to the CCA no later than October 26, 2018.
o Ship to: Center for Contemporary Arts
§ 220 Cypress St.
§ Abilene, TX 79601
· All accepted artwork shall be labeled on the back with: Artists’ Name, Title of Piece, phone number and Retail Price.
· All shipping charges (both directions) for artwork shall be at the artist’s expense.
· All Artwork shall be shipped back to the artist via artist’s carrier unless other arrangements are made with the CCA. We suggest that you buy a RETURN SHIPPING LABEL when you purchase the shipping label.
· All shipped artwork shall be in sturdy, reusable containers. Your shipping and packaging material must be useful for the return of your paintings or you will be charged an extra fee for packing materials supplied by the CCA.
· NO POPCORN PACKING MATERIAL ALLOWED.
· No glass except for pastel art. Only plexi-glass glazing will be accepted for all other artwork. This is essential for the safety of the originals.
· All artwork should be framed, wired and ready to hang.
No saw-tooth hangers. Gallery-wrapped canvases are acceptable if the sides are painted and the piece is wired and ready to hang.
· Check your shipping insurance. You are responsible for insuring the amount above what your shipper will cover. The Center for Contemporary Arts is NOT responsible for damage caused to artwork during shipping.
Display and Sale of Original Art
The CCA prefers entries that are for sale. Please state a price reflecting current market value for your artwork. For any artwork sold, the CCA shall be entitled to retain twenty percent (20%) of the selling price as a donation and shall remit eighty percent (80%) of the selling price to the artist. Please provide an insured value on all artwork. The CCA assumes reproduction rights for promotional purposes only. If a piece is sold between entry and notification, the piece is still eligible to compete in the show. However, if the piece cannot be sent to the CCA for display in the show, it will be withdrawn from the competition.
About the Juror – James Surls
James Surls is one of the most preeminent artists that the state of Texas has produced. His wood-and-steel sculptures are in the collections of the major art museums in the State and many in the nation, and he has placed many commissioned pieces in major private and corporate collections. In 1991, he was named Texas Artist of the Year by the Art League of Houston. Surls was given the Living Legend Award by the Dallas Visual Art Center in 1993. In 1999, he had solo exhibitions at the Marlborough Chelsea Gallery in New York City (catalog), the Glassel School of Art of the Houston Museum of Fine Art, the El Paso Museum of Art, Surls' most recent group show was with Charmaine Locke at the Colorado Springs Museum of Art in Colorado Springs. He was commissioned to make the sculpture to honor the 50th birthday for the country of Singapore. Currently James Surls has been commissioned to make the sculpture for the Memory Garden of the new Holocaust and Human Rights Museum in Dallas, Texas. James has worked with Flatbed since 1990, when the workshop began creating editions of his signature, large-scaled woodcuts and linocuts. Flatbed soon encouraged him to try making etchings, and he has been exploiting that process successfully ever since, in addition to his relief prints. Surls now lives and works in Carbondale, Colorado, yet still maintains and works on his and artist Charmaine Locke's 180 acres called Splendora Gardens in Splendora, Texas.
September 1, 2018 Call opens for submissions.
October 15, 2018 Deadline for entry submissions.Absolutely no entries will be accepted after this date.
October 18, 2018 Notification of selected artwork
October 26, 2018 Deadline to receive artwork
November 03, 2018 Notification of award winning artists
November 6, 2018 Show opens to the public
November 10, 2018 Reception from 6:00pm-8:00pm @ The Center for Contemporary Arts, Abilene, TX
January 26, 2019 Show closes
February 1-2, 2019 Deadline to pick-up hand-delivered work.
January 28 – Feb. 2, 2019 Crate & return shipping begins
Best of Show Award $ 1,500
Jurors Award $ 750
Merit Award $ 500
1st Place - 2D Oil $ 500
1st Place - 2D Watercolor $ 500
1st Place – 2D Pastel/Dry Media $ 500
1st Place – 2D Acrylic $ 500
1st Place – 2D Mixed Media $ 500
1st Place – 2D Photography $ 500
1st Place – 2D Digital $ 500
1st Place – Fiber $ 500
1st Place – 3D Sculpture $ 500