42nd International Watermedia Exhibition
Watercolor Art Society - Houston
1601 W. Alabama at Mandell
Houston, TX 77006
Event Dates: 3/3/19 - 4/4/19
Entry Deadline: 1/11/19
Days remaining to deadline: 30
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 3
Entry Fee (Entry fee for first piece 42nd International Watermedia Exhibition): $35.00
Media Fee (per sample over minimum): $15.00
View Site Details
42nd International Watermedia Exhibition Prospectus
· Entry submission begins via CaFÉ: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 via https://www.callforentry.org/
· Deadline for entry submission is 11:59 pm on Friday, January 11, 2019 MST
· More than $7000 in prizes
· Exhibition Dates: Sun, March 3, 2019–Thurs, April 4, 2019
· Questions: International Watermedia Exhibition Co-Director Tom Kraycirik, firstname.lastname@example.org
Juror: Andy Evansen, AWS, TWSA, RRWS, PAPA, NWWS
Andy’s paintings have appeared on the cover of American Artist’s Watercolor magazine and in International Artist, Watercolor Artist, Plein Air and American Art Collector magazines. His award-winning paintings are in collections on four continents and he has become a sought-after workshop instructor who paints and teaches internationally. He is a signature member in American Watercolor Society, Northwest Watercolor Society, Red River Watercolor Society, and Plein Air Painters of America. Visit his website at evansenartstudio.com.
Eligibility and Requirements:
· Artist must be 18 years of age or older.
· Up to three entries per artist.
· Nonrefundable Fee of $35 per entry, or 2 for $50 or 3 for $65 (one painting per artist might be exhibited).
· If you submit three paintings, please use code IWE32019 to deduct $5.00 from your total. This code is only applicable for the third image.
· Additional handling fees of $50 for shipped or $25 for hand delivered art will be due from accepted artists.
· Detailed instructions for shipping and delivery will be provided in the Acceptance Notification Guidelines.
· Artists wishing to compete for Signature Membership status must be WAS-H members in good standing before their work is accepted for the IWE.
· At least 80% water media: watercolor, acrylic, gouache, egg tempera, casein, ink. NO water miscible oil.
· Abbreviations: WC-Watercolor, A-Acrylic, G-Gouache, E-egg tempera, C=casein, I=ink
· Paper, Yupo, Claybord, Aquabord, or Gessobord, paper-based board (illustration or art board).
· Canvas is NOT accepted.
· Abbreviations: P-Paper, YP-Yupo, CB-Claybord, GB-Gessobord AB-Aquabord
· Photo references allowed, but they must be artist’s original source material and NOT derived from any published references or from photographs NOT taken by artist.
· NO digitally created images.
· NOT painted from another's painting.
· NOT painted under supervision or from teaching DVD or book.
· NOT accepted in any previous WAS-H Annual Member Exhibit or WAS-H International Watermedia Exhibition.
· NOT repainted from previous winning image.
· Only original artwork (no giclées, copies, etc).
· Collage allowed as long as water media is the dominant element.
· All collage materials MUST be original designs executed on water media paper.
· Less than 20% watercolor pencils, pastels, wax accents/resists, charcoal, graphite, metallic water-based paint, water-based iridescent paints.
· Artwork must be completed within the last 24 months.
Matting and Framing Regulations
· Must be framed. Only exception is Claybord, Aquabord, or Gessobord wood cradle panels.
· SIMPLE METAL or WOOD FRAMES no wider than 2.0 inches.
· Mat and liner (if used) must be WHITE.
· Frame must be strung with wire for hanging. No other hangers.
· All submissions must be protected by Plexiglas, (NO GLASS), except for Claybord, Aquabord, and Gessobord.
· No varnished paintings (except Claybord, Aquabord, Gessobord).
· Size not to exceed 48" in height or width, frame included.
· Painting image no less than 10” in any direction.
· Works not suitably presented will not be accepted.
· WAS-H reserves the right to hang your painting in the manner and location we determine.
· Yes. WAS-H reserves the right, nevertheless, to refuse entries that are obscene, controversial, or in bad taste.
· Paintings will have sales tax added at time of sale.
· Can be for sale or NFS (not for sale).
· Donation to the Gallery of 20% for cash sales and 25% for credit card sales.
· All sales include frames.
· WAS-H reserves right to negotiate up to 10% discount to secure sale of painting.
· Cash Awards: 1st Place-$2000, 2nd Place-$1200, and 3rd Place-$1100.
· Special Awards: Odette Rubin Memorial-$1000, Board of Directors- $500, Lloyd Albers Memorial-$500, Jack Bowen Award-$500
· Five Merit Awards - $175 each
· Five Honorable Mention Awards - ribbons
· Only one award per artist.
· Winners are notified by phone and/or email on March 2, 2019
· Watercolor Art Society-Houston uses CallforEntry.org (CaFÉ) to manage this exhibition.
· Artists should set up a profile on CaFÉ or log into an existing profile if they have one, upload their artwork as digital files and enter the call. A direct link to the Exhibition call for entry is: www.CallforEntry.org
· When uploading images to your portfolio and submitting them to the call, use the image size dimensions, not the frame dimensions.
· Submitting a work of art to this exhibition shall constitute an agreement on the part of the artist to comply fully with the conditions and terms set forth in this Prospectus as well as in the Acceptance Notification and Guidelines.
· Embargoed and sanctioned country restrictions and Credit Card acceptance limitations exclude certain countries from eligibility to this exhibition. Please contact WAS-H at email@example.com for details regarding your specific country’s eligibility.
· Once an entry is received, you will receive a confirmation email that your entry has been successfully processed. Check the CaFÉ website to make sure your submission is complete and has been received.
· After your entry has been submitted and confirmed, the art registration information cannot be revised or changed. This includes the price, title of the entry, and entry size.
NO ENTRIES CAN BE RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE OF FRIDAY, JANUARY 11, 2019, 11:59 pm MOUNTAIN STANDARD TIME (MST).
· Handling fees are due when paintings are received and no later than Friday, February 28, 2019.
· A $50 handling fee is required for framed/matted paintings shipped directly to the gallery and/or returned to the artist using commercial ground carriers. Paid return shipping labels must be included.
· A $25 handling fee is required for unframed artwork shipped to Les McDonald Framing in Houston, TX.
· A $25 handling fee can accompany the painting if the framed/matted entry is hand delivered to WAS-H and the artist will return to pick up the work after the closing of the Exhibition beginning Friday, April 5th, 2019 during normal gallery hours (10:00 am-3:00 pm).
· All entries must be delivered to WAS-H by the close of Gallery business Thursday, February 28, 2019.
· The Gallery is open to receiving artwork between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm, Tuesday through Saturday. Deliveries must be made at these times; no deliveries can be made after hours or on Sunday and Monday
· All artists whose work is selected for exhibition will receive instructions for shipping and delivery in the Acceptance Notification and Guidelines.
· ALL ARTWORK ARRIVING AT THE GALLERY FOR THE EXHIBITION MUST BE FRAMED, WIRED, AND READY TO HANG. ARTWORK “IN A TUBE” WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT THE GALLERY.
· Note: Les McDonald Framing of Houston, (713) 977-4729, does accept unframed works to provide framing services for a fee. Deadlines still apply for WAS-H accepting the framed works, so choosing this option early is critical. Please contact Les McDonald Framing directly, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.lesmcdonald.com, or check the WAS-H website (www.watercolorhouston.org) for details.
· Artist’s work accepted by the Juror will be displayed in the WAS-H Gallery for the 2019 International Exhibition.
· Only one painting will be accepted from an individual artist.
· No substitutions of artwork can be made after acceptance.
· WAS-H reserves the right to reject any painting that, upon arrival at the Gallery, the juror deems is significantly altered or different than the digital photo used for gaining entry to the Exhibition. Artists may want to use professional photographers for images of work.
· WAS-H reserves the right to return paintings deemed unacceptable or in breach of the rules in presentation of framing and/or mats.
· All paintings will be considered for sale at the price set forth by the artist during the entry submittal process. WAS-H reserves the right to negotiate up to a 10% discount to secure a sale.
· Paintings that have been sold will be released to the buyer no earlier than 10:00am CST April 6, 2019.