106 West Bunnell Ave Suite A
Homer, AK 99603
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Residencies
Event Dates: 2/1/19 - 12/31/19
Entry Deadline: 10/31/18
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Audio - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 3
Total Media - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Bunnell Street Arts Center presents an Artist in Residence program for international, US and Alaskan artists to create artwork that promotes community engagement and creative placemaking strategies. Bunnell seeks artists who aim to strengthen the social, physical and economic fabric of Homer through the arts by addressing pertinent themes. This may include accessibility, inclusion, decolonization, resource managment and sustainability, skills sharing and exchange, enhancing the safety and security of local residents, and/or artistic strategies to build connections between local and global communities.
Bunnell seeks artist-led projects at the arts center and surrounding community featuring community engagement through social and civic practice, creative writing, ephemeral art, installation, moving image, movement, music, painting, performance, poetry or sculpture.
Bunnell Street Arts Center is a multidisciplinary arts center located in a landmark building overlooking Kachemak Bay and the Kenai Mountains in south-central Alaska. Founded in 1991, Bunnell’s mission is to nurture and present innovative, exceptional art in all media for diverse audiences. A premier exhibition and performance space with historic charm on the main floor doubles as an open studio for artists in residence. Private rooms with private baths for artists are located upstairs, in a spacious apartment with a shared kitchen and living area.
- Residency Length: one month
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 8
- Artist Status: Mid-career Artists
- Application type: Open application
- Geography: Open to International, US, and Alaskan artists
- Application deadline: October 31 annually
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom with private bath in a shared housing facility
- Meals: occasional meals/food provided, shared kitchen; restaurants nearby
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Studios/special equipment: nipping press, small printing press, HD/3D video projector, HD video camera, tripod
- Additional studio information: The art studio is Bunnell’s main exhibition gallery, open to the public during regular gallery hours Monday-Saturday; It is not private.
- $25 application fee
Stipends / other support
- $1000 stipend for one month; up to $1000 value round-trip coach travel to Homer, and lodging in a private room with private bathroom abd a shared kitchen and living area above the arts center.
- $250 for art materials
Additional expectations / opportunities
- To engage the community and impart a lasting effect, the artist shall provide an artist talk, a workshop and contribute at least one work of art created during the residency for installation, exhibit, performance, reading, screening or other such event upon consultation with Bunnell's Artistic Director.
106 W. Bunnell Ave. Homer, AK, 99603 • (907) 235-2662 | Winter: Mon.-Fri., 11am-5pm • Sat. Noon-4pm