Stockyards Studios Artist Residency 2018
1600 Genessee Street Suite 161; Kansas City, MO 64102
Event Dates: 12/6/18 - 3/1/19
Entry Deadline: 12/2/18
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 10
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 10
Entry Fee (Entry Fee): $10.00
Stockyards Studios Artist Residency (STAR), provided by the artist run Vanessa Lacy Gallery, seeks proposals from artists and artisans living in the Kansas City area for a free, three month studio residency at the Livestock Exchange Building in Kansas City, Missouri.
The STAR program offers artists a window filled, work-only space with a westward facing sunset view of Kansas in a historic building with an established artist community. The residency seeks artists whose work offers opportunity for inspiring the public and other artists through example and instruction. All disciplines and mediums will be considered.
The Vanessa Lacy Gallery established STAR to support the work of local artists, give opportunity for fellowship and critique between local artists, and provide the public with access to a variety of artist talks and/ or instruction.
This STAR spans 3 months, December 6th 2018- March 6th, 2019
The terms are approximate and may be adjusted slightly to accommodate developing schedules. The selection panel is directed to select one individual artist to have use of approximately 300 square feet of personal studio space along with sharing an additional 600 square feet of community studio space with Vanessa Lacy and one of her gallery assistants.
Use of the facility for a final exhibit/presentation is offered to each successful applicant. The artist will also be included in the February show at the Vanessa Lacy Gallery “Capturing Bliss” for the months of February and March.
· The residency offers studio work-only space. Access is 24 hours with security guards and or maintenance onsite at all times.
· Events focus on arts/crafts skills, community building, and hands-on participation for adults. They need not relate directly to the residency project.
· The Resident must utilize the studio at least three times per week in addition to their event.
· Also provided: electricity, free Wi-Fi and access to a mini kitchen with refrigerator/ microwave. Slop sink available for nonhazardous cleanup.
· Work in the studio and gallery should be appropriate for a general audience.
· The studio, though lockable, is part of a shared space; use of fragile, hazardous or very valuable materials is not allowed, and a waste removal plan is required for any proposed waste generation.
The residency is open to all artists, artisans and makers who reside in the Kansas City area. Artist teams will be considered; partnerships and groups should apply through one coordinating member. All forms of artistic production are eligible. For example, quilting, printmaking, painting and drawing, choreography, puppetry, sculpture, illustration, and social practice, among other forms would all be appropriate.
Applicants must upload at least five images, videos or audio clips or writing samples to complete their application.
A panel of judges will choose the resident. Panel includes Marrissa Starke, KCAC director, Zoe Green, a STAR resident, and Vanessa Lacy, STAR Director. Criteria for selection will include:
· Quality of previous work
· Applicant’s plans for the residency period
· Ability of applicant to design and implement effective public engagement
· Suitability of the artist’s practice for the space
The Vanessa Lacy Gallery may request additional information from, or schedule initial interviews with, selected applicants. The Gallery also reserves the right to not select applicants and recall and/or cancel the Call for Applications at any time at its sole discretion.
Notification of the selected resident will take place in early December, 2018.
For questions about the STAR program, please contact Vanessa Lacy, at email@example.com
For information about the Residency or the Gallery and its activities, stop by during the open hours (Tuesday-Friday 1pm-5pm and Sat 11am-3pm) or visit www.vanessalacygallery.com