Springfield Art Association
700 North 4th Street
Springfield IL 62702
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 6/30/19
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 6
Call to Artists in All Media
In the 1970's women found their voices in the arts and began to stake a claim to their place in a rapidly changing world. We are looking for work that captures the spirit of these women and the women of today, forty years later, still seeking equity and social justice for women. We anticipate that this exhibition will look at what has changed, what struggles still exist, and where we plan to go from here.
The exhibition is inspired by the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Springfield Women’s Art Alliance. The Women’s Alliance founded in 1979 was the combination of two small Springfield organizations, the Rape Information and Counseling Center and the Sojourn House shelter for domestic violence, who sought to address broader needs of women in the community including career support, workshops, and health information. The Women’s Art Alliance was founded in 1980 as part of the Springfield Women’s Alliance. Their director, Polly Poskins, had a deep interest in art and wanted a way to promote local area women artists; so, she began hosting monthly exhibitions of their work. The purposes were never political, it never promoted exclusivity; but, it always promoted recognition and positive reinforcement for the artists. The Springfield Women’s Art Alliance was a place and a chance for women to meet, learn, improve and grow. For many of the artists, the Alliance house was the first place they had the opportunity to show their work.
- Submission Deadline: June 30, 2019
- Artist Notification: July 31, 2019
- Artwork Drop off: All artwork MUST be received by August 31.
- Shipped: Preferred arrival between August 26 – 31
- Dropped off: Preferred arrival Friday August 30 9 – 5 PM or Saturday August. 31 10 – 3 PM
- Exhibition Date: September 6 - 28, 2019
- Opening Reception: Friday, September 6, 2019 5:30 – 7:30 PM.
- Pick up of Artwork:
- September 30 – October 3.
- Shipped work will be retuned October 2.
AWARDS: Jurors will select up to $1000 in awards. Best in show will be awarded $500. Honorable Mention Juror Awards may also be selected. Awards will be announced at the opening of the exhibition.
JURORS: Artwork for exhibition will be selected from all eligible artwork by a panel of art professionals. A panel of jurors will also be used to select awards.
- Call for artists in all media
- Artist may submit up to 3 separate works for consideration. Additional works will not be considered.
- Artist must be over the age of 18.
- Work must be created in the last 4 years.
- Maximum width for 2D or wall work may not exceed 6 feet in any direction.
- 3D work must fit through a standard door frame when assembled and must be free standing on floor or pedestal.
- Work must not exceed 50 lbs.
ENTRY FEE: Artists may submit up to 3 entries for $25. SAA Members will receive a $5 discount.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete entry online on the CallforEntry.org website.
- Artists may submit up to 2 images per entry (1 full view and 1 detail or alternative view).
- Artist may submit an artist statement specific to the piece.
- Your JPG file should be named as follows: Artist's Last Name, under-score, and Title. Example: Smith_ScratchMarks.JPG
ARTWORK DELIVERY & PICK-UP
Work received after 3 PM on August 31 will NOT be exhibited.
Accepted works are to be delivered to the Springfield Art Association, 700 North 4th Street, Springfield Il 62702 during the week of August 26 – 31. We prefer drop-off to be completed on Friday or Saturday is possible. Drop off hours are Monday to Friday 9 – 5 and Saturday 10 – 3.
Shipped artwork must arrive in reusable packing materials to ensure safe return delivery. Shipping artwork must include a return prepaid shipping label in order to have your work returned at the end of the exhibition.
All artwork must be picked up between September 30 – October 3. Shipped work will be retuned October 2.
By submitting work to this exhibition all artists agree to the following terms.
PUBLICITY: The Springfield Art Association reserves the right to photograph and reproduce, in color or black & white, all artworks accepted for this exhibition, regardless of copyright, for educational and/or publicity purposes. Artist retains full copyright of the work.
SALES: The Springfield Art Association will retain a 35% commission on all artwork sales directly attributed to the exhibition. All prices set by the artist at the time of entry to include the 35% commission. The price will remain the same for the exhibit as listed at the time of submission. Artist may choose to list work not for sale at time of drop off.
INSURANCE: The object will be insured at the value provided by the lender during the time it is in the SAA’s control and possession. If the lender wishes to maintain his or her own insurance the SAA must be furnished with a certificate which includes the SAA as assured of which waives subrogation rights against the Springfield Art Association and its employees.
All objects borrowed will be treated and handled in the same manner as the SAA does its own Collection and will be protected from all forms of harm and damage while in the SAA’s possession.
ARTWORK PICK-UP: Work not picked up within 30 days or received without a prepaid return shipping label will become property of the gallery.