Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Residencies
Entry Deadline: 5/1/19
Images - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 10
Max Thelen Studio Residency
The max Thelen Studio Residency provides a quality work and display space for an emerging artist to create artwork and receive community support. The Residency includes a free art studio for 12 months as well as many additional benefits. Ideal candidates live in Marin, or have significant ties to Marin, and can commit to using the studio and participate in the program activities.
Art Works Downtown offers a diverse mix of studio artists and mediums in the heart of the San Rafael commercial core for almost daily interaction with the public. The Max Thelen Studio is a small, bright studio located on the prime street-level floor of the AWD complex. Art Works Downtown believes that an emerging artist will stimulate new ideas among established AWD studio artists and vice versa. Our community will be better served as they recognize and understand the importance of supporting emerging artists in their career endeavors.
- Free Art Studio, including utilities, fees and operating costs. Please note: this does not include room and board.
- An environment that is supportive and empathetic to the creative process
- Two exhibitions, which also provide exhibition experience
- Waived fees for AWD membership and juried exhibitions
- Representation on AWD’s newsletter, website, and social media
- Exposure to large groups of visitors every month during the 2ndFriday Art Walk event
- Scholarship granted to participate in Marin Open Studios
- Exposure to Gallery procedures and processes
- Exposure to the nonprofit arts organization operation
Applicants must be in the early stage of their art career with a committeed art-making practice.
- Deadline to apply: May 1, 2019
- Award announced in June of 2019
- Studio Residency to commence in August 2019 through July 31, 2020
- Donors' Gallery exhibition: date to be announced
- Founders' Gallery exhibition: date to be announced
Apply through www.callforentry.org. Applicants will be notifiied of the results via email.
Aplication requirements include:
- 5–10 images of your artworks and/or website
- Statement introducing yourself, as an artist, and your artwork
- A prime objective of the art studio space is for the selected artist to regularly use the workspace. This is not a showcase studio–it is a work and display studio. How do you envision using the space?
- How would an association with AWD artist community benefit you?
- Name of one recommendation—an arts educator, gallerist, or arts professional is recommended.
- Links to support materials including a website.