1925 Elm Street, Suite 400
Dallas, Texas 75201
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Public Art
Entry Deadline: 5/13/19
Images - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Total Media - Minimum: 3, Maximum: 6
Love Field Airport Gateway Project
CALL FOR ARTISTS
Public Art Project Budget: $500,000
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: May 13, 2019
REQUEST FOR ARTISTS OR ARTIST TEAM QUALIFICATIONS
The Public Art Program of the City of Dallas Office of Cultural Affairs working in partnership with the Dallas Airport System and the Dallas Water Utilities Department requests the submission of qualifications from artists or artist teams to design, fabricate and install a work of public art at the entrance to Dallas Love Field at the corner of Mockingbird Lane and Herb Kelleher Way.
Dallas Love Field is the gateway to Dallas its art and culture, events and businesses. More than 16 million passengers annually make Dallas one of the top visitor destinations in Texas.
Love Field was selected as one of the top ten domestic airports by Travel and Leisure Magazine for its public art in 2018. See:
The Love Field Airport Gateway Project will address the following goals:
- Create a highly visible artwork at the corner of Mockingbird Lane and Herb Kelleher Way to identify the entrance to Love Field.
- Artwork should reflect the current airport aesthetic and welcome visitors to the airport.
- Focus on themes that support the history, legacy and purpose of the airport and its surrounding communities.
- Use Public Art to enhance the identity of the Airport;
- Contribute to the public’s positive experience of the airport;
- Showcase Public Art to express the vibrant culture of Dallas.
o Artwork must be durable and be appropriate for the site
o Lighting is not included in the scope of this project.
o Artwork must be appropriate for public spaces,
o Be virtually maintenance free, durable, and meet the size, weight and other restrictions for the site where the project will be located-NOTE there are height restrictions at this location.
All professional artists who have completed a public art installation of similar size and scope are eligible to apply except for:
· artists currently under contract with the City of Dallas Public Art Program.
· Employees of the City of Dallas, their spouses, members of the Public Art Committee or Arts and Culture Advisory Commission, or any consultants under contract for any phase of these projects are ineligible.
· The City of Dallas Cultural Policy does not accept qualifications from undergraduate students for Public Art projects.