1375 Jackson St. Suite 401
Fort Myers, FL 33901
Contact Email: email@example.com
Call Type: Exhibitions
Entry Deadline: 6/13/19
Number of Applications Allowed: 4
Images - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 10
Video - Minimum: 0, Maximum: 5
Total Media - Minimum: 5, Maximum: 15
ArtFest Fort Myers* invites artists to apply for We Are Overflowing, a national juried exhibit of art crafted from re-purposed, discarded and cast-off materials. The art festival understands the power of art to convey the importance of conserving our limited natural resources and inspiring re-use and the up-cycling movement.
The Call for Artists to select 8 to 10 artists for We Are Overflowing 2020 is open to all residents of the United States.
Visit WeAreOverflowing.com to see the 2019 installation. 2019 was only 1 sculpture and was specific to single use plastic bottles. The restriction on materials to use does not apply to 2020.
We Are Overflowing 2020 seeks to commission high-impact sculpture that instantly conveys the message of “as a country we are overflowing with trash and recyclables”. The goal is to get viewer to "re-think what they dispose of - is it trash, is it recycleable, is its best use repurposing or reuse?"
- Debut at ArtFest Fort Myers, Southwest Florida’s Premier Art Festival and largest weekend event, January 31, February 2 & 3, 2020
- Displayed in Fort Myers area Linear Park post-festival
- Size appropriate for outdoor impact. Suggestion is approx. 6 to 8 ft H and 6 ft foot print. However, other dimensions are welcome as it is all about impact and message of the artwork.
- All materials visible to the viewer must be repurposed, recycled, reclaimed or reused materials. Structural elements may be new (but recycled preferred).
- Sculpture can be installed on-site in outdoors environment beginning January 28, 2020 and completed by January 31, 2020. Portions of the artwork can be pre-made by the artist for ease of on-site installation.
- Artist will need to be in Fort Myers January 31 to participate in opening reception and similar activities.
Submit Proposals through – CaFÉ (CallForEntry.org) beginning April 3, 2019
Artist may submit multiple Proposals – 4 maximum
Submission Deadline: June 13, 2019
Artists are asked to submit Proposal for Sculpture that includes:
- artist’s professional qualifications
- illustration of concept (sketch or computer generated);
- narrative description (500 words maximum);
- description of structural integrity of sculpture – mindfulness that it is installed outdoors; near river; in Florida
- mindfulness that the sculpture will be on display post-festival;
- photographs of prior installations based on re-use genre,
- if applicable (5 max);
- photographs of prior public art installations based on any genre,
- if applicable (5 max);
- references from prior projects;
This Call for Artist is open to all residents of the United States over the age of 18. All artists regardless of race, nationality, gender, gender variance, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, marital status, political opinion or affiliation, mental or physical handicap. Artists working in any media are eligible to apply.
Any shipping costs for other materials or components and artist travel are included in the stipend and are responsibility of the artist.
Jury will be evaluating:
- How well the Proposal relates to the theme ”we are overflowing” and inspiring
- re-use and the up-cycling movement
- How fully the artist’s intention or concept is presented and realized
- Innovation, originality of concept, design and execution
- Artist’s professional qualifications
Jury process may be on-line or with jurors convening in-person in Fort Myers.
Decision of the jurors is final.
The juror’s results will be emailed by July 5, 2019. If you have not received notification by July 7, 2019 please notify Sharon.McAllister@ArtFestFortMyers.com.
DELIVERY OF MATERIALS OR COMPONENTS
Advance delivery of materials or components for sculpture may be arranged with prior approval for location and shipping method. All costs are included in the Stipend and are the responsibly of the artist.
TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP
Upon installation the Artist relinquishes all ownership rights of the artwork and any likeness of that artwork with no additional compensation.
Artist has no responsibility for the removal or movement of the finished sculpture.
April 3, 2019 Apply Now at CaFÉ (CallForEntry.org)
June 13, 2019 DEADLINE for application midnight (MST)
Week of June 24, 2019 Jury process
July 5, 2019 Artists notified
July 8, 2019 Artist's acceptance of commission
July 12, 2019 Contract signed
October 15 & December 15 Artist status report
January 28, 2020 Artwork installation can begin in Fort Myers
January 30, 2020 Artwork installation must be complete
February 1, 2 & 2020 Artwork on display at ArtFest Fort Myers
& January 31 Opening Night
Post-ArtFest Fort Myers Artwork on display in downtown Fort Myers, FL
and potential other locations in Lee County, FL
See Attachment in this Call.
Selected artist to provide Certificate of Insurance ArtFest Fort Myers, Inc. the City of Fort Myers, Title Sponsor and potential others as Addtional Insured.
Included in the Artist Contract will be a clause that:
ArtFest Fort Myers, Inc., other sponsoring organizations, any other duly appointed representatives and the employees, agents, officers of each are not responsible for loss, injury or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with We Are Overflowing including any damage, breakage, replacement or cost associated with any damage or breakage that may have occurred during transport or unpacking.
In consideration of stipend the Artist releases and forever discharges the above named groups and individuals from any personal liability or responsibility.
USE OF IMAGES
Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show without additional compensation to the Artist. This use may include inclusion in any publications, printed materials, websites, social media and similar.
Images taken at ArtFest Fort Myers or other subsequent venues may be used for marketing and promotional purposes without additional compensation to the artist.
Please direct all questions to ArtFest Fort Myers
* ArtFest Fort Myers, a 501(c)(3) arts organization, is Southwest Florida’s Premier Art Festival and largest weekend event. An award-winning, best-practices festival featuring:
- 206 professional artists (selected from 950 who apply) from across the country and around the world
- arts-based interactive attendee activities to create a true arts festival that engages attendees for the day