SCWS 2019 National Annual Exhibition
PO Box 80994
Charleston SC 29416
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Type: Exhibitions
State: South Carolina
Event Dates: 11/2/19 - 12/20/19
Entry Deadline: 8/4/19
Images - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 2
Total Media - Minimum: 1, Maximum: 2
SCWS Members may enter their first image at no cost. Members will receive a discount code by email to input during check out.
South Carolina Watermedia Society’s National Annual Exhibition
November 2–December 20, 2019
Francis Marion University Place
142 North Dargan Street
Florence, SC 29506
Since its founding in 1977, the South Carolina Watermedia Society (SCWS) has strived to promote the artistic and professional interests of its members as well as provide visual arts programs and education opportunities to the public. Each year, the Annual Exhibition is held in a different location around the state of South Carolina. It is a high-caliber juried exhibition that draws national participation and acclaim. Artwork is selected by a professional juror.
I. Exhibition Overview
1) Open to all artists who are 18 years or older.
2) Juror: Ryan Fox
3) Entry submission deadline : August 4, 2019
4) Entry Fee: $50 (SCWS members may enter their first piece free, and an additional piece for $20.)
5) More than $6,000 in cash or merchandise awards for the top 30 award winners, including $1,000 for first place.
6) Opening reception: November 2, 2019
7) Exhibition dates: November 2–December 20, 2019
II. The Juror: Ryan Fox
Ryan Fox is a watercolor artist, focusing on landscapes and architecture from around the world. He is a member of the Watercolor Society of North Carolina and the Pennsylvania Watercolor Society. He received his BFA Fine Arts with a concentration in photography from the University of Michigan and has exhibited in statewide and national juried shows.
III. Exhibition Calendar
May 1 Entry Submission begins
Aug. 4 Entry deadline
Aug. 20 Notification to artists
September 18-20 Workshop with Ryan Fox
Nov.2 Opening reception and awards ceremony open to the public
Nov. 2–Dec. 20 Exhibition is open to the public
IV. Entry Submission
Works must be:
- Original (not derived from another’s intellectual property or copyrighted references).
- Painted within three years of entry date.
- Not previously displayed in a SCWS Exhibition.
- Created on any surface that will allow framing (required unless work is created on a canvas with finished edges or gallery wrapped).
- Wired and ready for hanging, framed, if required, described below. Mats (if used) must be white, off-white, or pale grey.
- Maximum size is 48” in either direction, including the frame. Maximum depth (with frame) is 2 and 3/4” and maximum weight is 25 lbs.
- Plexiglas/acrylic 1/8” glazing (glass is not permitted) must be used for all pieces on paper or paper-like products. If the image is painted on a rigid surface and sealed, it does not have to be under plexiglas/acrylic.
- Frames must be a maximum 2 and 3/4” wide flat-face “museum style” natural wood (dark, light, etc., such as maple, cherry, oak, mahogany). However, NO BLACK, WHITE (EVEN WOOD) OR METAL FRAMES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- All entries must be executed in watermedia, such as watercolor, acrylic, gauche, etc. Collage is acceptable; however, the painting must be primarily painted. NO oils or water soluble oils will be accepted.
• Entry fees are paid via credit card at the time of submission on CaFE.
- The non-refundable entry fee is $50 for one entry. First entry of a paid member is included in the membership fee. Second entry is $20. Only one entry may be chosen for the show.
- Additional handling fee of $25 for pieces shipped. Detailed instructions for shipping and delivery will be provided in the acceptance notification and guidelines.
• All artists entering the exhibition will receive a complimentary copy of the exhibition catalog.
Students who wish to join the Society in the student category must provide a photocopy of an OFFICIAL school identification, and pay a fee of $20, which is considered a full membership fee for one year. Should a student wish to be considered for the traveling show (or prize winner), the student must join as a regular member at the rate of $45.
Student entries must be original from concept to completion, executed EXCLUSIVELY by the student (not under the supervision of an instructor).
Entry Submission Using CallforEntry.org (CaFE)
- Set up or log onto an existing CaFE profile. Upload artwork as a digital file and enter the call.
- Confirming Entries
You will receive a confirmation email that your entry has been successfully processed. You may also check the CaFE website to make sure your submission is complete and has been received. After entry has been submitted and confirmed, information cannot be changed. This includes the price, title, and size of the entry.
- NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE AUGUST 4 DEADLINE.
V. Accepted Artwork
• All artists whose work is selected for exhibition will receive instructions for shipping and delivery in the acceptance notification and guidelines.
• Artist’s work accepted will be displayed in the SCWS Annual Exhibition.
• Only one painting may be accepted from an individual artist.
•No substitutions of artwork can be made after acceptance.
•No changes can be made to price, title, or dimensions after acceptance.
•SCWS reserves the right to reject any painting that, upon arrival at the Gallery, the juror deems is significantly altered or different than the digital photo submitted for entry to the Exhibition.
• Artists may want to use professional photographers for images of work.
• SCWS reserves the right to return paintings deemed unacceptable or in breach of the rules in presentation of framing and/or mats.
• Artwork must remain on display in the Gallery for the duration of the Exhibition.
Declining to Submit Artwork
Not sending accepted paintings to the Exhibition will subject the artist to a three-year penalty during which time the artist will not be allowed to participate in the SCWS Exhibition.
VI. Gallery Exhibition
Accepted paintings will be exhibited to the public at the Francis Marion University Place gallergy in Florence, South Carolina, November 2, 2019, through December 20, 2019.
SCWS acts in the artists’ best interests to promote the sale of exhibition artwork. Copies of each artist’s statement and bio will be made available in the gallery to those who visit the gallery. SCWS will request a bio and/or artist statement from each artist to be submitted prior to the opening of the exhibition.
Accepted artists release SCWS and City Art representatives from all liability with respect to loss or damage to works of art. It is suggested that artists carry their own insurance, in proper limits.
Artist Responsibility and Sales
Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, withdraw the work once it has been accepted, or remove it during the exhibition. Artists who do not submit their selected entry for the exhibition will not be allowed to enter another SCWS exhibition for three years. While the juror has the final responsibility to select the exhibition and awards, the Exhibition Committee reserves the right to reject any work deemed inappropriate. By submitting a painting to this exhibition, the artist accepts all conditions as set forth in this prospectus. If a painting sells, the artist understands that there is a 30% commission to SCWS. Artists give SCWS permission to photograph and video tape entries and use images for educational or promotional purposes.
Awarded paintings become part of our 2019 state-wide traveling show at various locations coordinated by the SC State Museum. Work in the traveling exhibit will be available for pick up at the end of the itinerary. Details will be provided.
Paintings included in the traveling show that are sold will be released to the buyer no earlier than December 20, 2020.
SCWS reserves the right to photograph and duplicate works for catalog and publicity purposes. Every effort will be made for attribution of work provided to the SCWS Annual Exhibition. A catalog is included with entry fee, and will be sent to all artists submitting entries. Additional copies may be purchased for $20 each.