Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Number of Applications Allowed: 20
Images | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 10
Audio | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 2
Video | Minimum:Min. 0, Maximum:Max. 3
Total Samples | Minimum:Min. 4, Maximum:Max. 15
Mt. SAC, Hilmer Lodge Sculpture
1100 N. Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA 91789-1399
Entry Deadline: July 3, 2019
Images – Minimum: 4, Maximum: 10
Total Media – Minimum: 4, Maximum: 15
NAME: Hilmer Lodge Sculpture
LOCATION: Mt. San Antonio College Hilmer Lodge Stadium
TOTAL BUDGET: Budget of $3,000 to Round #1 shortlisted artists (max three)
Budget $15,000 to final selected artist (see conditions under Artwork Budget)
Mt. SAC will contract separately for structural engineering services related to the design of concrete pad that statue (and plinth) will attach to and Mt. SAC will construct the pad prior to sculpture installation.
Costs for molding, casting, assembly, chasing, finishing, patina, transportation from foundry, and installation would be assumed by Mt. San Antonio College.
Public Art Project Description
As part of the college’s new Hilmer Lodge Stadium, the Public Art Advisory Council is looking to commission an artist/artist team to create a bronze sculpture of former track coach, Hilmer Lodge, to be placed at the entrance of the stadium. The sculpture should be slightly larger than life size, approximately 6’-4”, possess interactive aspects, and depict a likeness of Coach Lodge. Of note is his charismatic smile and familiar stance holding a stopwatch (for photos of Hilmer Lodge go to View Site Details and scroll down). An interactive sculpture is one that encourages patrons to “walk” around or become part of the artwork. The sculpture will include a 6-inch integral bronze plinth.
The artwork should be durable and require minimal ongoing maintenance. Mt. San Antonio College is located in southern California and has a mild winter and hot summer climate. The artwork must be approximately 6’-4” in height with an additional 6-inch plinth and be self-supporting on a hardscape surface. Artwork must meet the California Building Code and Division of The State Architect (DSA) requirements.
Description of the location
The statue will be located north of the entry to Hilmer Lodge Stadium between the Box Office (to the east) and Heritage Hall (to the west), and south of the tunnel that travels under Temple Avenue from Parking Lot F.
Anticipated Art Project Schedule
Call Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019
Artist Applications Due Wednesday, July 3, 2019 (midnight, MST)
Three Shortlisted Artists Selected Thursday, July 11, 2019
Shortlisted Artists’ Designs Due Monday, August 19, 2019 (10 am, PST) 5 weeks
Final Artist Selected Friday, August 23, 2019
Commission Board Approval September 11, 2019
Artwork Creation (sculpture and plinth) December 1, 2019
Artwork Fabrication December 2, 2019 - March 2, 2020 (not flexible)
Artwork Installation Begins March 3, 2020
Artwork Completion April 10, 2020 (not flexible, return of Mt. SAC Relay’s)
Application Process & Selection Committee
The application process is managed by Mt. San Antonio College Public Art Advisory Council. The Public Art Advisory Council and representatives from the Kinesiology, Athletics, and Dance Division serve as the selection committee and makes a recommendation of approval to the Board of Trustees.
Artist Selection Process & Application Requirements Round #1:
Artists are to submit their applications through CaFé. See How to Apply below.
There will be two rounds of the selection process for this Call. The selection committee will shortlist up to three artists in round #1. These shortlisted artists will be given an honorarium of $3,000. Round #1 artists will be selected based on the following:
- Qualifications of the Artist or artist team members
- Relevant experience of the artist and key team members
- Relevant current/past projects
- Past performance and client references
- Examples of previous work
- Experience with life size sculpture
Instructions for Round #1 Shortlisted Artists
The Round #1 Shortlisted Artists will be required to submit the following:
- Detailed design of the proposed 6’-4” bronze sculpture and 6-inch integral bronze plinth.
- An original maquette of the proposed finished sculpture from non-drying clay, a minimum of 18” in height.
- Meet a timeline of 5 weeks.
Maquette’s of non-selected artwork may be returned at the artists’ expense.
Round #1 Shortlisted Artists are to send maquettes by hand delivery to:
Mikaela Klein, Senior Facilities Planner
Mt. San Antonio College
1100 N. Grand Ave
Walnut, CA 91789-1399
Phone: 909 274-5720
Final Artwork Budget
The selected artist’s budget for the project is $15,000. The price will include the design and execution of the full-sized, 6’-4”sculpture and 6-inch integral bronze plinth (including tab mounts) from an oil-based or non-drying clay, ready for molding and delivered to Art Bronze, Inc. 11275 San Fernando Road, San Fernando, CA 91340.
Criteria for Selecting Final Artist
All artists must meet the guidelines of the program.
- Artistic Merit of the concept: Demonstrated likeness to Hilmer Lodge and suitable for bronze casting. Likeness should reflect the iconic image of Track Coach Lodge standing with his stopwatch in hand, characteristic facial expression and smile, clothing symbolic of his style, and posture that would welcome patrons entering the stadium.
- Style and Appropriateness: Artwork (including 6-inch plinth) is compatible with the predetermined location and achieves the goal of providing patrons with a welcome to the stadium and an interactive experience.
- Technical Considerations and Feasibility: Artist’s artistic history and experience in completing public art projects within the timeline.
- Safety and Maintenance: Artwork should be durable and meet the requirements of California Building Code and DSA requirements.
Other Selection Issues
- Conflict of Interests: Artists with immediate family or business partners on the Mt. San Antonio College Public Art Advisory Council are not eligible to apply. A selection committee member may choose to withdraw from discussion and voting for any apparent conflict of interest.
- Public Art Advisory Council Contacts: Artist applicants should not contact Public Art Advisory Council members, Mt. San Antonio College Executive Leadership, or members of the Board of Trustees, between the release of the Call to Artists and the completion of the selection process.
- Mt. San Antonio College retains all rights to the selected artwork.
Contact: Mikaela Klein
Phone: 909 274-5720
How to Apply
1. Submit digital images of artwork portfolio
Artists are required to submit no less than 4 images, but may submit up to 15 media samples (images, audio, or video samples) per application. Only 4 of these 15 media samples may be audio or video files. All artists must own the copyright of the materials they submit.
2. Digital Preparation
Instructions on how to format images to CaFÉ specifications can be found at https://www.callforentry.org/uploading-images-audio-and-video-files/
3. Submit one copy of a current resume
If artists are submitting qualifications as a team, each member must submit an individual resume.
4. Letter of Interest
Artists and artist teams are required to submit a one-page letter expressing their interest in the project. The letter should highlight their approach to public art as well as any relevant experience with projects of a similar scale highlighting partnerships with experienced professionals.
5. Image List
Please include an annotated image list including title, artist name, media, image name/number, and any other relevant information.
Please include at least three (3) references that speak to artistic ability, reliability, and professional conduct.
Incomplete or ineligible submissions will not be reviewed.
How to Submit
All application materials must be submitted electronically through CaFÉ at https://artist.callforentry.org Hand delivered, mailed, emailed, or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Application closes promptly on Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at midnight (Mountain Standard Time).
There is no application fee when using the CaFÉ online application system.